Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
federico bonino

Reged: 06/21/12

Loc: Argentina
ABELL 3627 Norma Cluster from 34° Lat S new
      #5808275 - 04/19/13 08:11 AM

Hello to Every Body I´m from Soth America (Argentina). Follow I offer an Obs. Report of this very interesting Galaxy Cluster, which, as some people could know, is in the nearby of Great attractor.
This is an interesting challenge with galaxies of more than 12 or 13 Visual mag.
Go to the point:
I spend a some hours by two night trying to find It. belive to me that it was not easy work:

“The cluster is in the vicinity of beta triangulus Australis, around 2 or 3° Noreast. At the moment of the observation the zone were in a good place near the surrounding 50° azimuth.

I start searching with a 7” Maksutov f15. The place is easy to find with the finder because there are a Open star cluster NGC 6025 which is possible to have in the field of the finder and easily to identify.

Then we had to spend some time finding the 30’ or 40’ zone in where is placed the nucleus of Abell Clouster I used a 24 mm eyepiece (112 x) 34´ TFOV. It was not much difficult to identify the stars asterism that would allow to me to recognize the galaxies locate, but unfortunally we can not see any galaxy with this scope….

Then we try with a 12” Dobsonian f5 using the same eyepiece at 62,5x 65’ of TFOV and plus we use 10 mm (150x & 27’ TFOV) and finally 8 mm (187,5x & 32’ TFOV). Despite all the testing made, it was not possible to identify any galaxy of the group with this scope too.

Finally we try with a 16” dobsonian f4,5 at 75x, I where It could be possible to see two very weak cloudiness (almost a gost), that apparently were ESO 137-8 and 137-6 between an asterism of stars like a trapeze or quadrilateral in concordance with the chart.

Summary:
The observational work was not produce satisfactory results, or at least that had met my expectations. I belive that is necesary to spend more observational time and apertures above 12" may be 14" or 16", and exelente seeing condicions.

It will be very usefull to me, to had the opnions of any observers that had an experiences with this objet.

Best sky for everybody!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IVM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/07/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: ABELL 3627 Norma Cluster from 34° Lat S new [Re: federico bonino]
      #5813623 - 04/21/13 05:51 PM

It is remarkable how this cluster of galaxies - or at least its core of the most prominent members - seems to replicate the size, shape, and orientation of the nearby star cluster NGC 6025. I only observed the latter, however, and was not aware of the Abell cluster.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

#5814248 - 04/21/13 10:09 PM

Hi Federico--

Thanks for posting. I've never been far enough south to attempt your target, so I can only compare its images to those of clusters I'm more familiar with. Looking at the thumbnail DSS images in Megastar, for example, your targets are visibly more dim than even some of the galaxies in, say, the Corona cluster, which are a challenge for 18-inch scopes, although the stated magnitudes for your target galaxies are much lower. Also, only tiny portions of the galaxies' central cores appear to be visible, no doubt due to extinction of light from dust in the disk of the Milky Way.

federico bonino

Re: ABELL 3627 Norma Cluster from 34° Lat S new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5815773 - 04/22/13 05:30 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Good afternon Gentlemen!. Thanks very much by your opinions, excuse me by my delayed answer.

Mr IVM That is really very good tip!!!. I had no imagining this consideration... So inmediatly I will check this!!.

Mr George: Thanks for the analisys. The Dust effect is really a complication. In addition, there is not available accurate information about the exact visual magnitude value, I had could found a diverse data and finally the values that I put in the posting were extracted from NED database.
So... apparently by your comments I have not a good scenary, But anyway I will continue testing.

In CloudyN there are a Post from 2009 of Mr ARMSTROM whose - as he say- could see all the galaxies but he don´t specify the scope used in.

Well thanks very much by your reply, And I hope to have more opinions

sgottlieb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/22/07

Loc: SF Bay area
      #5825622 - 04/27/13 02:24 AM

I've only looked for the galaxies at the core of "Great Attractor" once, but didn't have any problems picking up the brightest three in an 18" f/4.5 from Australia. George, these galaxies are *much* brighter than any in the Corona Borealis galaxy cluster. Are you thinking of the Coma cluster, by any chance? In any case, here are my notes --

ESO 137-006 = LGG 405-003 = PGC 57612
16 15 03.9 -60 54 26
V = 12.1; Size 0.8'x0.8'; Surf Br = 11.7; PA = 124d

18" (7/5/05): moderately bright, fairly small, round, 0.7' diameter. Moderate concentration with a 20" brighter core. Symmetrically placed 5' WNW of ESO 137-008 on the west side of the triangle of stars which separate these two galaxies in a very rich star field with a mag 9 star 3' E. This galaxy is one of the three brightest in the highly reddened "Great Attractor" (AGC 3627). The Milky Way is quite rich here, nevertheless ESO 137-006 and 137-008 stood out well.

ESO 137-008 = LGG 407-001 = PGC 57649
16 15 46.1 -60 55 07
V = 11.8; Size 0.5'x0.5'; Surf Br = 10.1

18" (7/5/05): this galaxy is in the core of the relatively nearby but highly reddened "Great Attractor" (AGC 3627 = "Norma Galaxy Cluster"). At 228x it appeared fairly faint, moderately large, oval 3:2 ~N-S, 1.2'x0.8'. Contains a bright, 20" core. A distinctive triangle of stars, which includes a mag 9.5 star, lies 2' W. Situated in a very rich and fairly bright star field along with ESO 137-006 and ESO 137-010.

This galaxy is a superluminous giant with an absolute magnitude of -23.6 and is comparable in instristic brightness to NGC 4889 in the core of the Coma Cluster. These three galaxies looked oddly out of place in a rich Milky Way field with a grainy background.

ESO 137-010 = LGG 407-002 = PGC 57652
16 15 50.2 -60 48 11
V = 11.6; Size 2.0'x1.1'; Surf Br = 12.4; PA = 167d

18" (7/5/05): this galaxy is the northernmost of the three brightest galaxies in the core of AGC 3627 and is situated 7' due north of ESO 137-008. At 228x, it appeared fairly faint, moderately large, elongated 5:2 ~N-S, ~1.2'x0.5', weakly concentrated with a slightly brighter core.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

Re: ABELL 3627 Norma Cluster from 34° Lat S [Re: sgottlieb]
      #5825663 - 04/27/13 03:42 AM

Steve, I've never seen AGC 3627, so I was just going off of the thumbnail images available in Megastar--not the best method of comparison, apparently! Glad to hear the members of this group are easier than those of the Corona Cluster, which are certainly very dim. They must be a very strange sight amidst the bright Milky Way field.

federico bonino

Re: ABELL 3627 Norma Cluster from 34° Lat S new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5830704 - 04/29/13 04:56 PM

Hello Gentlemans thanks very much by your contributions

A Question for Mr Gottlieb: As you said the observation by you made was with a 18", them my question is: if you consider or had an experience with a 16" f/4,5 in this group?.
Could you consider possible to observe them with this size of aperture?.

As I said on the top We didn't had a good performance experience.

Thanks by your comments!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 776

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics