Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
Duane Frybarger

Reged: 02/12/07

Loc: San Francisco, CA
SAC online deep sky database updated
      #5827393 - 04/27/13 10:06 PM

Well, it's a cloudy night here in San Francisco, so I figured it would be a good time to finally update my online database of the Saguaro Astronomy Club deep sky objects to version 8.1. With the update came a few changes (as always happens) There are fewer searches but the info is obviously more complete. You can view the database at http://virtualcolony.com/sac81/index.html

Also, I've added a new search engine to search the 2,174 open star clusters in the damlo2 database. Unfortunately, this database does not include magnitudes, but has other interesting info such as distance and number of stars.

If you see any errors or have any suggestions for making this tool more useful, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deepskydarrell

Reged: 03/09/08

Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada
Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: Duane Frybarger]
      #5827647 - 04/28/13 01:32 AM

Thanks for the excellent list generator.

I'm just waiting patiently for SAC to incorporate the page numbers for the 2nd edition of Uranometria 2000.0 (it has been out for 12 years now)

DSD.

Duane Frybarger

Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: deepskydarrell]
      #5827666 - 04/28/13 01:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words - I hope you and others find it useful.

I just added a search for the Zwicky Galaxy Catalog. I also recently added a search engine for an abbreviated version of the Washington Double Star catalog. If any one has suggestions on other catalogs that might be useful, please contact me.

Edited by Duane Frybarger (04/28/13 02:01 AM)

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: Duane Frybarger]
      #5827681 - 04/28/13 02:15 AM

Duane, the SAC data does indeed have numbers of stars for the open clusters, I put it in with my open flying fingers;-)

I am very happy that you use and enjoy the database, it is the reason we created it in the first place.

Darrell, there is no one in SAC who owns a copy of the "new" Uranometria. We have all moved to electronic planetaria programs and then make a printout when needed. Sorry about that.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Duane Frybarger

Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5828511 - 04/28/13 02:33 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the reply and the info. I enjoyed your article about M35 - that's my favorite star cluster. I guess I have something in common with Scotty:)

The online version of the SAC database does include numbers of stars for open clusters. The DAMLO2 catalog included info for open cluster age but it was listed as "age in log t". Can anybody tell me what that means or how I would convert that into easy-to-understand numbers?

Thanks,

Duane

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: stevecoe]
      #5829804 - 04/29/13 10:09 AM

Quote:

Darrell, there is no one in SAC who owns a copy of the "new" Uranometria. We have all moved to electronic planetaria programs and then make a printout when needed.

I am a SAC member, and I bring out the second edition U2000 atlas every time I observe. It typically doesn't come out of the box at the site, but it's a good backup atlas in case the laptop or its battery fails.

Tom

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: SAC online deep sky database updated new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5830716 - 04/29/13 05:05 PM

Tom, et al;

Pardon me. I guess what I wanted to say is that there is no SAC member who wishes to take on the task of adding the new U2000 numbers into the database.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 590

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics