Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Blackwater Observatory UPDATE! new [Re: Cotts]
      #5827066 - 04/27/13 07:13 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

More...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cotts
Just Wondering

#5827071 - 04/27/13 07:14 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Many hands make light work....

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5827075 - 04/27/13 07:15 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

And again.....

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5827084 - 04/27/13 07:17 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

The amazing crew from the North York Astronomical Association.....

Cotts
Just Wondering

#5827126 - 04/27/13 07:26 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

The Pod is up and 'running'. There are some issues with my plinth base and the concrete 24"x24" pads that it is sitting on. I will have to do some shimming to level the top off. The dome rotates reasonably well but there are a couple of high spots that need levelling out.

I have locked the dome and left nothing inside. When I return from the Texas Star Party in mid-May I will silicone all the seams and take care of the final shimming and levelling. Then install some 120vac and 12vdc wiring, lights, the flooring pads and, finally the telescope and mount. Should be first light well before june 1!!

There will be more pics of these details as they happen.

Thanks for staying tuned.

Dave

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5827153 - 04/27/13 07:33 PM

Looks great, Dave! I'm jealous.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Blackwater Observatory UPDATE! [Re: rockethead26]
      #5827707 - 04/28/13 02:42 AM

That foundation you came up with looks pretty good, and getting through the door should be easier with the higher rim.

-Rich

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Blackwater Observatory UPDATE! new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5827891 - 04/28/13 08:44 AM

Rich, the door entry was one of my main thoughts. I had a chance to try a 'standard' height Pod and the entry was very difficult for me with my combination of height and inflexibility. My plinth adds a very helpful 7".

I entered and exited my Pod several times yesterday with ease and the extra height inside makes it feel very roomy....

Dave

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5827965 - 04/28/13 09:37 AM

Nice, Dave! I've purchased a pod and will be getting it this summer, so I'm very interested in this. I'm not as tall as you and probably not as inflexible (although I'm a lot less flexible than I used to be!), but I'm still thinking that a few extra inches of height would be nice. If I decide to do something like this I need to make plans now because I'm putting in the pier first and need to get it to the right height.

Some questions. Do you plan to do anything to support the bays? What did you use for the diameter (inner and outer) of the plinth? It seems like you got that information ahead of time since you built the plinth before the pod arrived. Is there anything holding the plinth segments to each other, or are they just bolted to the base? Any thoughts on what you'd do differently with the plinth if you had to do it over again?

Thanks!
-Dan

Cotts
Just Wondering

Re: Blackwater Observatory UPDATE! new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5828910 - 04/28/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

Nice, Dave! I've purchased a pod and will be getting it this summer, so I'm very interested in this. I'm not as tall as you and probably not as inflexible (although I'm a lot less flexible than I used to be!), but I'm still thinking that a few extra inches of height would be nice. If I decide to do something like this I need to make plans now because I'm putting in the pier first and need to get it to the right height.

Some questions. Do you plan to do anything to support the bays? I will put some wood base under them especially when I have shelves in them. What did you use for the diameter (inner and outer) of the plinth? It seems like you got that information ahead of time since you built the plinth before the pod arrived. The exact dimensions are on the Sky Shed Pod website. Is there anything holding the plinth segments to each other, or are they just bolted to the base? They are only bolted to the 24"x24" concrete patio slabs. Any thoughts on what you'd do differently with the plinth if you had to do it over again? I have had trouble making the plinth level. There is a variance, high spots to low spots, of about 1/2" which are entirely due to the patio stones which are a #$^$%&^ to move around and level. If I had a second chance I would consider a wooden form and poured concrete for the plinth. But how much $ ?

Thanks!
-Dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2687

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics