Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: terry59]
      #5822121 - 04/25/13 01:14 PM

My scope (C8) and mount (CG5-GT) were purchased used on AM. The seller of the mount was reasonably local, and was able to do the transaction in person (and to his massive credit, he drove the majority of the way to get to me), and the C8 arrived just as described, and was protected by more foam than a Tempurpedic mattress factory. I've bought several eyepieces and filters as well, and have yet to have one bad experience.

Of course now after reading this I'm paranoid, because I literally JUST sent someone $750 for a used C9.25, so...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: ubermick]
      #5822280 - 04/25/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

My scope (C8) and mount (CG5-GT) were purchased used on AM. The seller of the mount was reasonably local, and was able to do the transaction in person (and to his massive credit, he drove the majority of the way to get to me), and the C8 arrived just as described, and was protected by more foam than a Tempurpedic mattress factory. I've bought several eyepieces and filters as well, and have yet to have one bad experience.

Of course now after reading this I'm paranoid, because I literally JUST sent someone $750 for a used C9.25, so...

The only problematic transaction I ever had on AM was something I transacted face to face. Foolishly, rather than trying the scope and mount out, I spent the time jabbering with the seller.

I should have been listening to the mount, one of the drives had a bad gear which would skip. The seller would not accept responsibility even though it was apparent that someone had been inside this "New only used 6 or 7 times" mount.

Jon

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5822344 - 04/25/13 02:47 PM

I suspect that many of us in addition to loving "practicing" our hobby, that we also are closet hoarders and we enjoy the pursuit of gear collecting... Invariably this creates moments of painful retrospection... "hmmm why do I own 4 2" diagonals....". Resulting in periods of gear disposal... In any event my experience so far had been very positive... I try to actually see what I am buying if I am spending more than $500 and so far I have only bought one item over $1k that was not inspected and I have no complaints. I agree with the prevailing sentiment that most in this hobby are very honest and only occasionally buy or sell. There are definitely the "pros" and maybe one needs to wary of the extremes... Those who never post on CN but are selling all the time and those who are professional sellers with hundreds o stars on amart.

My 2c
Al

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5823244 - 04/25/13 10:06 PM

+1 generally if the person selling can be traced on A-Mart or CN and has tons of posts (or even a few dozen insightful ones) that's a big improvement in my confidence level. I actually go a bit further and also look for them on LinkedIn. Added data point.

HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
      #5825734 - 04/27/13 06:27 AM

I buy and sell all the time in the pursuit to find what I want to keep. Sometimes I've bought staff kept it for a week and sold it off because of change of plan or not to my expection. As for bad deals I've had a few it happens a lot, I almost lost thousands once in one deal but there greed got the better of them and opened major flaws on their scam to steel my telescope even though it was already half way around the world.

My experience has seen 1 in 10 transaction end in a poor experience or disaster. Anyway I still buy things because that's the world we live in. We place high expection on everything when we really shouldn't , we end up getting our fingers burnt a lot more.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5825754 - 04/27/13 07:01 AM

I've purchased a couple of used astro items over the years. Most where good. I brought my Paramount ME on AM. It was not a face to face purchase. After I received the mount I quickly realized it had some internal wiring damage due to a rodent. The seller claimed it was OK before it was shipped, but covered the $100 repair cost.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5825943 - 04/27/13 09:42 AM

Quote:

I've purchased a couple of used astro items over the years. Most where good. I brought my Paramount ME on AM. It was not a face to face purchase. After I received the mount I quickly realized it had some internal wiring damage due to a rodent. The seller claimed it was OK before it was shipped, but covered the $100 repair cost.

And did the seller say it was in 'excellent' condition? And did the seller have excellent ratings? Good that he took care of you though.

Al8236
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W
      #5826020 - 04/27/13 10:43 AM

Then there is the other side... I sold a drive corrector once thhat on arrivial the buyer claimed that the transformer had come loose and damaged the casing.
I had never taken the corrector apart so I couldn't address weather it was loose or not. (Nothing rattled after packaging) When I asked for pictures and offered to make it right there were crickets...nothing! after a couple e-mails with no response I wrote it off to possibly some one trying to ??

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: Al8236]
      #5826808 - 04/27/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Then there is the other side... I sold a drive corrector once thhat on arrivial the buyer claimed that the transformer had come loose and damaged the casing.
I had never taken the corrector apart so I couldn't address weather it was loose or not. (Nothing rattled after packaging) When I asked for pictures and offered to make it right there were crickets...nothing! after a couple e-mails with no response I wrote it off to possibly some one trying to ??

yep, you're right. A buyer once claimed it never showed up, and of course, it the one you ship w/o delivery confirmation. I gave them their money back.... But it was an interesting coincidence imho.... Never ship anything, no matter how inexpensive, w/o delivery confirmation or even signature proof with high value items. And you never know who rides around in neighborhoods looking to steal stuff off of people's doorsteps.

Gray
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: Hixson, TN
      #5827018 - 04/27/13 07:03 PM

I worry sometimes after I sell some of my used stuff. I'm a newbie and I try to baby my stuff, but just about everything I have, has a mark or a scratch on it. It just happens. I just sold some scopes that I bought over three years ago. They've seen plenty of dew and pollen, and I have reconfigured them many times. I didn't advertise them in excellent condition but great-good. But, I did ship them through the PO with insurance for more than the buyer paid. Packing is an art, especially when your strapped for cash and making due with what you have on hand. I don't want a bad review, and hope the buyers are satisfied, especially considering the money they paid, compared to new. I still worry. In this instance, I've never shipped big items through the PO and I worry.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: Gray]
      #5827198 - 04/27/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

I worry sometimes after I sell some of my used stuff. I'm a newbie and I try to baby my stuff, but just about everything I have, has a mark or a scratch on it. It just happens. I just sold some scopes that I bought over three years ago. They've seen plenty of dew and pollen, and I have reconfigured them many times. I didn't advertise them in excellent condition but great-good. But, I did ship them through the PO with insurance for more than the buyer paid. Packing is an art, especially when your strapped for cash and making due with what you have on hand. I don't want a bad review, and hope the buyers are satisfied, especially considering the money they paid, compared to new. I still worry. In this instance, I've never shipped big items through the PO and I worry.

Consider taking pictures of the stuff before you pack it and as its in the packaging. Also, the test certificate on the box. Sometimes when you file a claim they want to see that to make sure you didn't ship it in a cereal box like flimsy box. Taking pictures is a bit of insurance for yourself and great backup, and with digital picture taking, its virtually zero cost, but pays big dividends if there's a problem.
Bob

highertheflyer
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/08/05

Loc: Aledo, Texas
      #5827394 - 04/27/13 10:07 PM

I have a Unitron 510, a 5" F/16 field tripod version purchased in the early 80's.
At thousands of dollars, there needs a buyer next to me for changes in ownership, with the buyer's responsibilities a safe packaging and shipment.
As an old fellow in the aviation field, I understand how up close and personal an inspection will be and thus to assume the liability upon purchase and the aircraft's new owners safe return.
A unique item needs a personal inspection and in my mind, the new owner needs to take control at the moment of purchase.
Just like a home and automobile, plane or telescope.
My personal two cents,
Jim

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... [Re: highertheflyer]
      #5827729 - 04/28/13 03:18 AM

my solution is to never describe as great/mint condition. i always say good/well-used fully functional. but then i buy a lot more than i sell...

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5827981 - 04/28/13 09:47 AM

Only had one bad experience early on in my observing hobby. Bought a Coronado P.S.T. and found the lens had serious rust. This was my first solar scope and I didn't know about the problem prior to buying. Seller claimed he didn't know anything about it, and I suppose that's possible, but the seller was a very experienced astrophotographer with an observatory full of equipment and he unexpectedly threw in a TV Plossl (which it turns out had damaged coatings) which I interpreted as a "guilt" payment. I've always suspected he sold because the problem was becoming more well-known at the time and he wanted to get rid of it quick. Kind of soured my feelings about him whenever I see a post of his on CN. Still, I used the scope for many years and when I bought my Lunt a guy who worked at the local store asked about buying it. I told him about the problem, pointed him to a website that described it, with photos, and even suggested that for a first solar scope he might want to look for one without the problem. My price was so good he wanted to buy it anyway. Went for a fraction of the original cost but at least I treated him the way I wish I had been treated.
...Keith

Edited by microstar (04/28/13 09:56 AM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: microstar]
      #5828004 - 04/28/13 10:08 AM

It's possible that the seller didn't visit the Solar Forum to become aware of the rust problem. However, he should have worked with you in order to give you allowance for the rust.

I've bought & sold used, and so far everyone I've dealt with have been honest and nice to deal with!

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5828130 - 04/28/13 11:22 AM

Quote:

It's possible that the seller didn't visit the Solar Forum to become aware of the rust problem.

However, the seller recommended that I join the Yahoo PST group and that I would get lots of useful info there. What are the odds that he hung out on that group and didn't know about the rust?
...Keith

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5828705 - 04/28/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yep, you're right. A buyer once claimed it never showed up, and of course, it the one you ship w/o delivery confirmation. I gave them their money back.... But it was an interesting coincidence imho.... Never ship anything, no matter how inexpensive, w/o delivery confirmation or even signature proof with high value items. And you never know who rides around in neighborhoods looking to steal stuff off of people's doorsteps.

This can happen to anyone. When Vernonscope had the Brandon Apochromats made with Roland Christen lenses (94mm and 130mm) he had 100 130mm units made - lenses, lense cells, OTA's ... Don was telling me a while back that the buyer of one of his 130mm units called after it arrived and claimed that the scope did not have a lense in the OTA. Don assured him it did. The guy threatened to call S&T and the BBB. So Don sent him another lense as he didn't need his business threatened with false claims. As Don was telling me this story he reached down into a cabinet and pulled out a 130mm lense cell - engraved with the "Brandon 130mm Apochromat" or whatever it said. After the last of his 130mm lenses was assembled, he still had one cell left and no lense for it.

So someone out there has a home made 130mm RC APO from the late 80's early 90's with a lense that was aquired by lying and threatening the Vernonscope business.

Dave

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5828767 - 04/28/13 05:06 PM

I've had good luck so far. I felt like the back and forth communications I had with the seller enabled me to trust. So far, I have not been disappointed.

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
      #5829006 - 04/28/13 08:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

deal with someone who understands that the 3% is the cost of doing business and should be built into their price if they don't like it.

+1

Ooooh definitely makes my top ten list of pet peeves.

It's been a while since I researched it but the practice (openly charging the buyer the 3% PP fee) was actually illegal in most states and definitely a violation of the PayPal user agreement.

Irks me so much I won't even consider ads that have +3% in it. Even if I want what they're selling.

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: KILM
Re: Really? You sell all this stuff and you're....... new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5831537 - 04/30/13 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

deal with someone who understands that the 3% is the cost of doing business and should be built into their price if they don't like it.

+1

Ooooh definitely makes my top ten list of pet peeves.

It's been a while since I researched it but the practice (openly charging the buyer the 3% PP fee) was actually illegal in most states and definitely a violation of the PayPal user agreement.

Irks me so much I won't even consider ads that have +3% in it. Even if I want what they're selling.

The main reason I live a cash only existance. I also can almost every time negotiate a cheaper price when paying cash. 3 percent of 1000 is 30... That's two meals at least both parties could save... And don't get me started with credit card companies that hold the seller hostage with eye opening fees and percentages of every purchase. When PayPal started trying to finagle my bank account information from me to be "verified" was when I stopped using them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3997

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics