Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5833343 - 04/30/13 10:28 PM

Sports. We used to go to Major League Baseball games when I was a kid. We couldn't afford good seats, but were lucky to be able to go, and bring along a Bushnell 7x35 so that I could recognize the players from watching them on television. So at 8 years old I was asking Dad to please pass the binoculars.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OpalescentNebula
sage

Reged: 01/11/07

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Observing so...
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5833553 - 05/01/13 01:30 AM

My dad had 12x50 Bushnell’s so we could watch the Big Laker (freighters) come in on Lake Huron to the St Claire River. Reading the Boats names.
When I got them they were no longer able to focus properly. I bought a pair of 8x26 Pentax, I used until my wife dropped them into the Ocean in Costa Rica by mistake.

smart

Reged: 07/28/07

Loc: Oregon coast
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: OpalescentNebula]
      #5833567 - 05/01/13 01:50 AM

Though I had telescopes growing up in Minnesota in the 1950s, it never occurred to me to use binoculars on the night sky. In 1962 I was on a US Navy destroyer in the Pacific Ocean and stood the night watch many times with a pair of B&L 7x50s-what a revelation on those dark skies!

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: smart]
      #5833834 - 05/01/13 08:37 AM

I don't remember a time when I wasn't interested in binoculars. There isn't one particular pair that ignited my interest but I continue to be amazed by what a small handheld pair can reveal in the night sky. I love the idea that simple polished and shaped pieces of glass held within a moulded chassis can literally bring the universe closer. That will never get old for me.

I don't know why I have never got attached to scopes in quite the same way, despite having some wonderful views through them over the years. It is the notion of being able to hold them, as a unit, with no accessories needed and feeling like they are almost an extension of your body that makes me love handheld binos. It's a bit of an obsession.

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: RichD]
      #5834097 - 05/01/13 11:04 AM

At about age 12 I perchanced to sample a Boy Scout Binocular which was on display along with the usual assortment of pocket knives, snakebite kits, and other manly stuff. My parents kindly bought it for me. A genuine glass singlet Galilean! I noticed even then that I could see more stars with optical aid. Taking the objectives off gave a gut level optics lesson, and the terrific color fringing was amazing. I get a headache now, just thinking about it.
Ron

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
      #5834601 - 05/01/13 03:01 PM

Hello Kenny et al,

My first binocular, acquired in about 1976, was a U.S. Army Signal Corps, Model EE, 6x30, circa 1918. I spent more on its collimation than I did for the glass. I used it for terrestrial views and occasionally at my less than starry sky. About three years later, I bought a Leitz 7x50 Marseptit, which did require a good cleaning. Once, I lifted the glass to look at Jupiter, at twilight, and saw all four Gallilean moons, a sight that perked my interest in astronomy.
As I live in Manhattan, about 3.5 km. from Times Square, my use of binoculars for astronomy is limited. However, I have taken an almost daily bird watching walks in Central Park for the last eight weeks, using a modern 8x32.

Clear skies,
Arthur

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5835131 - 05/01/13 08:05 PM

When I was in my early twenties a chimney fire at my place of employment caused me to wonder what the bright star nearly overhead was. Having no nearby telescope store I went to a catalog store and purchased a pair of 10x50 binoculars. It was out of collimation so I just used it as a monocular.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5835152 - 05/01/13 08:21 PM

Wanting to see a wider TFOV (than my 10" f4.5 dob).

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5836085 - 05/02/13 11:28 AM

Simple: birds

Cabrillas

Reged: 07/19/09

Loc: Madrid. Spain.
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5836178 - 05/02/13 12:22 PM

For me they were the birds too. After a lot of saving, when I was 11 or 12, in the late 70's, my father travelled to the Canary Islands (they have a special taxation, cheaper than the rest of Spain)and bought a pair of Pentax 7X50. But he liked them so much, that he keep them . Well, actually, he allowed me to use them everytime I asked, so I got the binos and kept the money. Thanks, Dad.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Cabrillas]
      #5836352 - 05/02/13 01:49 PM

Floaters in my eyes....two-eyed viewing tends to cancel out defects in each eye used separately.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5836406 - 05/02/13 02:11 PM

03-19-1994 I purchased a new brand 93' Nissan Maxima SE.

I chose a free gift of a Tasco? 7x35 binocular. (Very humble beginnings.)

Years later it was passed along to a young boy from our church.

Stan

Patrik Iver
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/03

Loc: Kaarina, Finland
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5836470 - 05/02/13 02:31 PM

I grew up on the coast (in the archipelago, really), with most of the family, friends and relatives involved in boats and everything nautical. Binoculars (without exception 7x 50's of various cheapish brands, as far as binoculars ever could be considered inexpensive in those days) were "always" around, and got used a lot.

My paternal grandmother was quite interested in astronomy (actually she was rather interested in most things, I guess), so she gave me "the spark" so to say. My grandfather was a merchant marine captain turned teacher of navigation turned pilot (not the flying kind, but the kind that guides ships), so of course he knew the navigational stars, but I can't recall him being interested in astronomy the way his wife was. They are both gone since almost a quarter of a century, but my contribution to this thread brings back lots of happy memories - thank you Kenny for giving me a reason to think of my childhood...

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Patrik Iver]
      #5836648 - 05/02/13 04:05 PM

When I was a fair youth (a b####y long time ago I may add) I was madly in love with a fair maiden down the road, I purchased my first pair to spy on her while she worked in the garden,never did get enough backbone to ask her out,DA

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5837129 - 05/02/13 07:59 PM

Quote:

When I was a fair youth (a b####y long time ago I may add) I was madly in love with a fair maiden down the road, I purchased my first pair to spy on her while she worked in the garden,never did get enough backbone to ask her out,DA

That is something to spark the astronomy or anatomy

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5837345 - 05/02/13 10:06 PM

My Dad used them to study the Moon....particularly The Full Moon!! When I took my first look, I found it a little eerie, and mostly fascinating! He told me I was looking at a whole 'nother world....and they're could be people looking back at us!!! I was 9, I didn't know any better!!...lol...
It was still a beautiful sight....the Full Moon through 7x35 Tasco binoculars. I'm still hooked at studying the lunar surface today, at 53 yrs old....

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5837990 - 05/03/13 10:18 AM

When I was a field geologist in western Wyoming, out in the sagebrush, there was always something to see. Sage grouse, antelope, elk, you name it. So I always had binos with me. Once I turned my 7x50s onto a summer Wyoming dark sky, I was hooked forever.

swsantos
sage

Reged: 09/29/05

Loc: Rhode Island
      #5838587 - 05/03/13 03:14 PM

For me it was EDZ personally at scouting and local events.

So I win

Steve

Cliff C

Reged: 02/11/09

Loc: Long Island, NY
      #5838670 - 05/03/13 04:09 PM

Boating. In 1969 when we got our first boat I believe that my Grandfather bought us a pair of binoculars (Tasco 7x50s) to help navigate the high seas. Between the waves and my weak 5 year old arms absolutely nothing was staedy.
A few years later I began to use them to observe the Moon, airplanes going in and out of our local airport and U.F.O. hunting.
Some 20 years later the combination of a friend buying a telescope, an article in Astronomy featuring Chesley Bonestell and viewing a very young crescent Moon with that 3D effect convinced me that it was time to take the plunge and purchase a telescope!
I still have those 7x50, along with many other 7x35s and 10x50s. Nothing high end though... perhaps one day.

mudnreo

Reged: 01/11/13

Loc: Delmar, Delaware USA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Cliff C]
      #5840399 - 05/04/13 04:36 PM

Boating for me too. We always had binoculars on the boats. In 1964 (I was 11) my Dad bought a "big" boat, it was every bit of 26' lol, but we did do some offshore fishing with it. Well, 40 miles out off of Cape May NJ for us was offshore so we always had them on the boat. Don't remember what got me to looking at the sky with them but I have been for a long time on and off.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2876

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics