Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Space Rocks

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CygnuS
sage

Reged: 07/11/11

Loc: The Great Rift
meteoroid-meteor-meteorite
      #5830937 - 04/29/13 07:13 PM

The latest (June) Astronomy magazine has a title "Historic Russian Meteorite Fall." I know I'm splitting hairs here but is this correct? It isn't called a meteorite until it hits the ground. That means that a meteorite can't fall unless you drop it. Shouldn't the title be "Historic Russian Meteor Fall."?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob71741
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/16/08

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: CygnuS]
      #5831043 - 04/29/13 08:27 PM

In my opinion, the title is correct in its context; meteorites did fall.

If the title was ...the meteorite lit up the sky, then that is obviously incorrect, and I believe that is the most incorrect usage that we usually see/hear. Another common one is; did you see the meteorite last night?

oblako

Reged: 07/01/12

#5831132 - 04/29/13 09:14 PM

Quote:

The latest (June) Astronomy magazine has a title "Historic Russian Meteorite Fall." I know I'm splitting hairs here but is this correct? It isn't called a meteorite until it hits the ground. That means that a meteorite can't fall unless you drop it. Shouldn't the title be "Historic Russian Meteor Fall."?

When we talk about meteors we say "meteor showers" and we do not say "meteor falls". Russian meteoroid exploded in the atmosphere and its peaces landed on the ground. So the article's name is correct. IMO the better name for the article would have been simply "Historic Russian Meteoroid" because IMO it is the meteoroid that made that meteorite fall historic, or should I say more historic? After all it was the meteoroid that exploded, creating the sonic wave that hurt more than a thousand. If there were no explosion, it would probably still have been a historic meteorite fall simply for its size, but dramatic explosion that made the meteor brighter than the sun was really something.

Edited by oblako (04/30/13 01:03 AM)

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: oblako]
      #5831229 - 04/29/13 10:21 PM

Hemorrhoid-Hemeor-Hemeorite.

/Ira

CygnuS
sage

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: bob71741]
      #5831230 - 04/29/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

In my opinion, the title is correct in its context; meteorites did fall.

Since the meteor exploded before it hit the ground, are you saying that the flying fragments are defined as meteorites before landing?

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

#5831290 - 04/29/13 10:54 PM

A meteor is a flash of light. It cannot explode. The meteoroid exploded, causing the flash of light.

The meteor is the light phenomenon in the sky. It is caused by an object called a meteoroid while travelling through the atmosphere. A meteoroid may or may not strike the ground. If it does, it becomes a meteorite. A meteorite cannot be falling from the sky, unless you pick it up and toss it in the air and let it hit the ground again. But a meteorite can have fallen from the sky.

/Ira

oblako

Reged: 07/01/12

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: Ira]
      #5831450 - 04/30/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

A meteor is a flash of light. It cannot explode. The meteoroid exploded, causing the flash of light.

The meteor is the light phenomenon in the sky. It is caused by an object called a meteoroid while travelling through the atmosphere. A meteoroid may or may not strike the ground. If it does, it becomes a meteorite. A meteorite cannot be falling from the sky, unless you pick it up and toss it in the air and let it hit the ground again. But a meteorite can have fallen from the sky.

/Ira

You are right. Thank you. I fixed my post above, and hopefully this tome I got it right although on the other hand most news agencies including CNN http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower , Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/surprise-attack... , USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/world/2013/02/15/1922121/ and even PBS http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/02/fireballs-crash-to-earth-after-me... and NOVA http://novacelestica.blogspot.com/2013/02/tunguska-event-2-meteor-explodes-ov... say "meteor explodes"

Edited by oblako (04/30/13 01:46 AM)

CygnuS
sage

#5831670 - 04/30/13 07:24 AM

It sounds like you're saying that Astronomy magazine's title should be "Historic Russian Meteoroid Fall" since a meteor is simply light and a meteorite can't fall since it's already fallen.

peter scherff
sage

Reged: 07/11/06

#5831671 - 04/30/13 07:25 AM

Just to add to the confusion there is a cutoff at about 10 meters between asteroids and meteoroids. So it was an asteroid that broke apart over Russia. : )

Thanks,

Peter

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: peter scherff]
      #5831731 - 04/30/13 08:08 AM

These names are all confusing to the public, so I think the media use the most common name that makes sense. Very different from strict scientific usage.

/Ira

CygnuS
sage

#5832772 - 04/30/13 05:01 PM

You're right Peter. And I might add that Sky & Telescope had that headline correct in May's issue. I'm certainly not trying to bash Astronomy magazine. I like them both equally.
I agree Ira. The way "Astronomy" worded it does make sense. The problem is that I expect that from the main stream media. I also expect incorrect things like "nebulas and supernovas" from the MSM....but not Astronomy magazine.

peter scherff
sage

Reged: 07/11/06

#5832786 - 04/30/13 05:11 PM

The American Meteor Society has a great poster that gives most definitions that we need.

Peter

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

#5833093 - 04/30/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

The American Meteor Society has a great poster that gives most definitions that we need.

Peter

But even they get it wrong as they define "Bolide" as "a large meteor that explodes in the atmosphere". They mean a large meteoroid!

/Ira

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5836010 - 05/02/13 10:52 AM

When did everything become "SUPER"?

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      #5850191 - 05/09/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

"Historic Russian Meteorite Fall", "Historic Russian Meteoroid Fall", and "Historic Russian Meteoroid Fall" would all be correct, they just mean slightly different things. The first emphasizes the pieces that hit the ground, the second emphasizes the parent body, the third the visual apparition of the fall. We are fortunate that language is flexible like that.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: careysub]
      #5851120 - 05/09/13 11:08 PM

If there is one thing it wasn't, it wasn't an "historic Russian meteorite fall" because very little of it survived to become a meteorite. If anything, it was an historically small meteorite fall, but an historically large meteor and meteoroid fall.

/Ira

dreamregent
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/09

Loc: Clearwater, FL
      #5851770 - 05/10/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

Peter

Considering the various definitions on the poster:

If a piece of a meteoroid that hit the ground is called a meteorite, why don't we call a piece of an asteroid that does the same thing an asterite?
Just throwing that out there...

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: dreamregent]
      #5851847 - 05/10/13 11:36 AM

Or we could call it a "bolideite" or a "fireballite".

/Ira

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: careysub]
      #5871712 - 05/19/13 03:15 PM

Can't edit it, but that was:
Historic Russian Meteorite Fall", "Historic Russian Meteoroid Fall", and "Historic Russian Meteor Fall"

StarWars
Mr. Postmaster Man

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<
      #5897538 - 06/02/13 10:17 AM

Quote:

Russian 'meteor' was actually a tiny asteroid..

NASA scientists said the object that exploded over Russia was a “tiny asteroid” that measured roughly 45 feet across, weighed about 10,000 tons and traveled about 40,000 mph.

The object vaporized roughly 15 miles above the surface of the Earth, causing a shock wave that triggered the global network of listening devices that was established to detect nuclear test explosions.

The force of the explosion measured between 300 and 500 kilotons.

"Historic Russian Asteroid Fall."

CygnuS
sage

Re: meteoroid-meteor-meteorite new [Re: StarWars]
      #5919180 - 06/13/13 05:15 PM

July's Astronomy magazine snapshot (page 9) is worded "Implications of the Russian METEORITE fall" and the first sentence reads "The breakup of a METEOROID over......"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2488

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics