Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory
      #5830983 - 04/29/13 07:52 PM

Wow! I had no idea they were even working on this. Going to slap it on my NexStar 11 GPS and have some fun. I was looking at Meade's Light-switch and thinking how cool that would be, to just let the scope align itself.

So I just pre-ordered one. Can't wait to try it out!

StarSense Accessory

Stacy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Stacy]
      #5832377 - 04/30/13 01:45 PM

Originally it was supposed to be available in April, now pushed out to end of June or July. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works at twilight with a few of the bright stars out or if it needs darker sky.

Jim

tboconnor

Reged: 01/14/10

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: HeyJP]
      #5832989 - 04/30/13 06:52 PM

I'll be getting one. I'm also getting a skyfi unit, and skyafari. Man I'm lazy :-)

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5832994 - 04/30/13 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally it was supposed to be available in April, now pushed out to end of June or July. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works at twilight with a few of the bright stars out or if it needs darker sky.

Jim

Hmmm... Never thought of that. I do usually like to set up early and check out what's up. If I'm out for a few nights, I just hibernate. That's another reason the 8" Light-switch was so appealing. I have a second tripod though so setup is easier. But I live on a lake though so even on a good night it's bad. Ultimately, I think it will be a quite useful item. As I get older I don't like looking through the finder and whatnot.

Oh yes... sorry. I DO think it will require some darkness.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: tboconnor]
      #5834338 - 05/01/13 12:54 PM

Quote:

I'll be getting one. I'm also getting a skyfi unit, and skyafari. Man I'm lazy :-)

Those two are the bee's knee's. I'm too cheap for the StarSense though.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: rboe]
      #5835834 - 05/02/13 09:03 AM

Like Ron... I'm too cheap (or as I say >> frugal) to spend my money on a StarSence

Now if it sold for less then 50 bucks I may be temped but even then I would have to do some "serious thinking"

Bob G.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5836377 - 05/02/13 01:57 PM

Yeah, way overpriced. Should be about half what it is, but I haven't done any scope upgrades for quite awhile.

Guess I could sell my old controller to recoup some of the cost?

I think I even have two of those around here somewhere.

Time to consolidate!

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

#5837077 - 05/02/13 07:20 PM

wow...it will work on my nexstar GPS!

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: gaz-in]
      #5838622 - 05/03/13 03:36 PM

If the new hand controller plugs into the same port as the old one, and the star-sense plugs into the controller, where does the ski-fi/ski-wire hook up? Is there a 2nd port on the hand controller?

I don't need this gadget, but it would be nice to have; however, if I can't rock & roll with my sky-wire/skysafari/iPad setup, then the whole works is useless to me.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5838697 - 05/03/13 04:22 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here... If all this device does is align the scope, why would anyone want to spend more than $300 for it? Is there some other functionality I'm not aware of?

The alignment routines in the CPC scopes are some of the easiest I've ever used and, if done with even reasonable care, sufficiently accurate to put any visible object in the field of view of a 24mm eyepiece in my CPC 1100.

I can find a lot of better uses for three hundred bucks.

Don

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5839529 - 05/04/13 04:03 AM

A look at the forums shows that there are a lot of people who find the align process difficult.

From what I've heard from the people who have auto align scopes - the Meade LS and the SkyProdigy - they think it's wonderful and wouldn't go back.

This may be a bit expensive but it's not compulsory.

Chris

tboconnor

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Sorny]
      #5839647 - 05/04/13 07:22 AM

Quote:

If the new hand controller plugs into the same port as the old one, and the star-sense plugs into the controller, where does the ski-fi/ski-wire hook up? Is there a 2nd port on the hand controller?

I don't need this gadget, but it would be nice to have; however, if I can't rock & roll with my sky-wire/skysafari/iPad setup, then the whole works is useless to me.

I guess since its only used for alignment, you can just unplug the starsense and plug the wireless controller in after the alignment is finished.

tboconnor

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5839650 - 05/04/13 07:25 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something here... If all this device does is align the scope, why would anyone want to spend more than $300 for it? Is there some other functionality I'm not aware of?

The alignment routines in the CPC scopes are some of the easiest I've ever used and, if done with even reasonable care, sufficiently accurate to put any visible object in the field of view of a 24mm eyepiece in my CPC 1100.

I can find a lot of better uses for three hundred bucks.

Don

I dont find it particularly difficult, but it IS a pain. Its borderline if its worth $300. (or more like $600 in Australia)

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: tboconnor]
      #5840443 - 05/04/13 05:06 PM

Agreed, the alignment process is easy on Celestron scopes. Also agreed on the whole $300 being too much money for this gadget...

Life got way easier when I started using auto-2 star alignment. Polaris is easy to find, and with a level tripod, the scope is always pointing close to the next star, and it picks ones bright enough to be obvious which is the one it wants. I even had good luck with the SkyAlign with any random 3 bright objects, but Auto 2 Star is just so much faster.

I'm pretty sure I can be aligned faster than StarSense can align, but as I said before, I'm a sucker for gadgets...

SLC Tortfeasor

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Sorny]
      #5840487 - 05/04/13 05:36 PM

I'm excited for this. I've been wanting a Meade LS8 for the convenience of not having to align, but I've been holding off buying the Meade because of worries about their support and financial ability to remain a going concern. This devlopment from Celestron easily tilts the balance for me toward the Celestron.

Also the hard case for the NexStar is only $350, as opposed to $450 for the JMI hard case for the Meade.

I'm buying this thing today!

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: SLC Tortfeasor]
      #5840908 - 05/04/13 11:16 PM

Hey Don and all,
For me the reason to get the starsense is my knowledge of stars and locations. Just the last time out it was naming stars had no clue where they were, have had that happen just too many times. If its not Vega, or that magnitude I just have a real hard time aligning and as my time is limited, I just would like something that would get me to the finished product a lot sooner and more accurate. I would love to be able to slew to a target and it be in the FOV. Am so tired of going from 40 MM E/P just to find target then going back to smaller E/P or camera.
Kasey

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5841023 - 05/05/13 01:08 AM

Celestron"s tech blog "winks" while they answer "not at this time" for a question of will the StarSense serve as a guidescope.

Jim

rsraney

Reged: 09/16/07

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
      #5844650 - 05/06/13 10:59 PM

I wonder what the required view range is. my best view from my home is on the back patio between two condo complexes. A 30deg stripe overhead, northwest to southeast. It kills me to alight my CGEM. All that head standing hurts! If this would get me viewing faster, sure!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: rsraney]
      #5844780 - 05/07/13 12:19 AM

Yeah, I dislike the alignment procedures. I look forward to doing something else while my scope aligns itself. I haven't bought much for my main rig in a couple of years, so it will be a worthy upgrade. YMMV

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5920605 - 06/14/13 01:32 PM

Cancelled the order.

After my last star party and replacing my finder, I have found it's just too easy to align to justify the extra expense. If it were more like $129.95 I'd be all over it lol.

Stacy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3057

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics