Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rsraney

Reged: 09/16/07

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Stacy]
      #5920626 - 06/14/13 01:45 PM

I am still ordering mine, just to see how it handles the small strip of weak sky i have between the row of townhouses I live in. I'll post a review once I have it and run a few checks on it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KerryR
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: SW Michigan
      #5920697 - 06/14/13 02:20 PM

Quote:

Cancelled the order.

After my last star party and replacing my finder, I have found it's just too easy to align to justify the extra expense. If it were more like $129.95 I'd be all over it lol.

Stacy

Stacy,

What finder did you switch to? I find the stock finder a bit of a pain to look through above 30deg or so. I also rarely need it once I'm aligned, unless I'm hopping to doubles from an atlas...

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: KerryR]
      #5921130 - 06/14/13 07:34 PM

Quote:

Stacy,

What finder did you switch to? I find the stock finder a bit of a pain to look through above 30deg or so. I also rarely need it once I'm aligned, unless I'm hopping to doubles from an atlas...

I actually went back to the original finder after using a 90 degree finder for two reasons. First, it's more compact so I can leave it on the scope during transport and as a result, usually keeps it's alignment.

Second, as it's a straight through finder, I can use the "two eyes open" method to zero in quickly on any bright star. (I open both eyes then just move the scope until the bright star "merges" with itself) Much easier and faster than any other method I've tried.

I also set the scope (tripod) up about 5 inches or so higher than the lowest setting as it's more comfortable when observing at or near zenith. If I want to look near the horizon, I can rotate the diagonal. I have an 80mm piggy back scope and that method works great for that scope as well.

I just pick alignment stars lower in the sky and don't usually have a problem. I only use the finder during alignment, because I have never failed to get the target somewhere in the EP FOV regardless what EP happens to be in there.

I use a CPC tripod on my NS11 BTW.

Stacy

KerryR
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: SW Michigan
      #5921226 - 06/14/13 08:51 PM

Got it. Thanks, Stacy.

I just (now) removed the 9x50 and replaced it with a Rigel.

Mike in Tampa

Reged: 05/19/13

#5938428 - 06/24/13 05:38 PM

is this a typo? this is from the link in post # 1, when I select the star sense under key technologies.

"The HandControl allows you to automatically locate and point your SkyProdigy to over 4,000 celestial objects contained in its database"

it must be 40k not 4k, wouldn't you think? otherwise why would you use this hand control with 1/10th the database over the one currently provided with most goto systems report a 40,000 item database (CPC models for example).

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Mike in Tampa]
      #5938565 - 06/24/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

is this a typo? this is from the link in post # 1, when I select the star sense under key technologies.

"The HandControl allows you to automatically locate and point your SkyProdigy to over 4,000 celestial objects contained in its database"

it must be 40k not 4k, wouldn't you think? otherwise why would you use this hand control with 1/10th the database over the one currently provided with most goto systems report a 40,000 item database (CPC models for example).

Yes, must be a typo. The main page says "The StarSense Accessory includes a small digital camera that attaches to the telescope’s optical tube, along with a specialized hand controller. Just set up the accessory, push the Align button on the hand controller, and StarSense starts capturing and comparing images of the night sky against its internal database of 40,000 celestial objects"

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/03/06

Loc: Southern NJ
      #5952151 - 07/02/13 10:00 PM

This looks like a cool gizmo, but exceedingly expensive. Can it act as a camera as well as being an alignment tool? Does it's hand controller replace the normal CPC controller. Is this controller the same as the "Nexstar +" hand controller with all it's purported bells and whistles?

I'm still using my original hand controller that came with my CPC 1100 seven years ago! (And they said my "cheap" scope wouldn't last... lol)

I agree with many here that it's not that difficult to align a CPC scope. I always use the auto-two star method with Polaris being my first star and any other that's visible as my second, and my targets are generally near the center of a moderate power view.

But the ability for this gizmo to use more than 2 or 3 multiple targets to really squeeze out precise positioning is alluring. If the controller is a Nexstar + model (something I have seriously been thinking of buying to upgrade my scope) and one subtracts the cost of this from the StarSense price, it might be more reasonable.

Anyone know if it is a Nexstar + controller in the StarSense package?

Cheers,
Paul

ps- been gone from this site for too long! It's good to be back and read stuff like this!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Paul McC]
      #5952244 - 07/02/13 10:57 PM

There is a picture of the controller here. It looks like the one that came with a NS102 Refractor I have....

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-starsense-accessory.html

Bruce N

Reged: 04/01/13

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Paul McC]
      #5952352 - 07/03/13 12:27 AM

Very cool but beyond my current budget, and... is it really necessary?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: Bruce N]
      #5952571 - 07/03/13 06:21 AM

It comes with its own hand controller, the last item in the overview.

The exact functionality remains to be be seen but the ability to use the camera to collect images isn't mentioned so it's probably safe to assume that this won't be supported.

Chris

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5952649 - 07/03/13 08:01 AM

If it could be used as an autoguider and as a remote finder then it would be worth the $300 bucks. As it is I think at best it's a $99 product. Certainly it can't cost much more than $20 to make.

Al

186vett

Reged: 01/29/13

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5961419 - 07/08/13 11:09 PM

So, when available?

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: 186vett]
      #5961530 - 07/09/13 12:52 AM

B&H PhotoVideo showing it now back ordered until Aug 1. It's been slipping about a month each month. :-)

Jim

DarthNebula

Reged: 10/27/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: HeyJP]
      #5969819 - 07/14/13 12:13 AM

I think i will have to get one of these as well. Love the idea of auto align!

btieman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/24/08

Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: DarthNebula]
      #5971019 - 07/14/13 07:08 PM

I have a borrowed Meade 6" LS. It is highly entertaining to let it do it's thing all by itself. But it's also frustrating. It needs fairly dark skies before you can even begin. It also doesn't know your local horizon so sometimes points at the house, etc...It recognizes the star isn't there, but not until it's slewed there and looked. And it takes ~10+ minutes.

I was all over the star-sense when I first saw it advertised--party because Celestron now has a response to the Meade LS. But, now that I've seen auto-image alignment in practice, I doubt I will ever get one. I'm sure Celestron's implementation will have learned something from Meade's but even if it's twice as good as Meade's, I can't see that it's worth it for my observing pattern. Typically, I'm fully aligned before the sun has even set. Image based auto-alignment costs me observing time

But it is way cool to watch!

Paul McC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/03/06

Loc: Southern NJ
Re: Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory new [Re: btieman]
      #5977197 - 07/18/13 02:27 AM

Quote:

I have a borrowed Meade 6" LS. It is highly entertaining to let it do it's thing all by itself. But it's also frustrating. It needs fairly dark skies before you can even begin. It also doesn't know your local horizon so sometimes points at the house, etc...It recognizes the star isn't there, but not until it's slewed there and looked. And it takes ~10+ minutes.

I was all over the star-sense when I first saw it advertised--party because Celestron now has a response to the Meade LS. But, now that I've seen auto-image alignment in practice, I doubt I will ever get one. I'm sure Celestron's implementation will have learned something from Meade's but even if it's twice as good as Meade's, I can't see that it's worth it for my observing pattern. Typically, I'm fully aligned before the sun has even set. Image based auto-alignment costs me observing time

But it is way cool to watch!

Excellent points! You just talked me out of it!

king1522
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

Loc: Texas
Starsense and light pollution new [Re: Stacy]
      #5983750 - 07/21/13 10:17 PM

I wonder if it has problems finding alignment stars in light polluted areas. I have the Meade LS8 and it's not too good in Dallas area light pollution. Often it won't align to the star it selects. I'm assuming the light confuses it. Also, my Meade, after alignment, is not terribly accurate. At times the object I am searching for is not in the field of view.
Don

--------------------
Don

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3054

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics