Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
A drawing of a young man and his telescope...
      #5832099 - 04/30/13 11:58 AM

Ever since writing a short history of Edmund Scientific telescopes (which can be found here, under Articles), I've begun to enjoy the type of research which was required for its completion; exhaustive internet searches, contacting historical societies, cold-calling people who may or may not be the party one is looking for... it all certainly honed my paltry investigative skills, which leads into the following:

Anyone who has a copy of Sam Brown's All About Telescopes will likely recall the drawings on page 2, in particular the fellow standing by his telescope in a suit and tie... hard to believe in 2013, but I can recall such attire being commonplace at star parties, at least into the late 1960's. I've often wondered who the young man was, if indeed he wasn't simply the product of an artist's imagination. There is a mention on that page that the drawings were adapted from Astronomy and You, by Edmund Scientific; I though this rather cryptic, as I'd never ran across any such publication in my astronomical career.

As it turns out, the title certainly exists, and I was recently able to obtain a copy in excellent condition; Astronomy and You was an Edmund giveaway, published in 1960; a 16 page comic-book-style bit of ephemera. Great drawings, done in classic comics format, illustrating basic astronomical knowledge and instruments, including (of course!) Edmund telescopes of the era. Turning to page 15, there is that young man in suit and tie from All About Telescopes, standing next to his reflector, but this time there is a name asociated with this drawing: Roman Stuart Ohnemus.

The copy indicates that he was the winner of his local science fair for his work in astrophotography (quite an accomplishment for a young man in 1960) and won "further honors" at the 11th National Science Fair in Indianapolis; a little research found that the NSF was held there in 1960. A bit more digging turned up a birthdate of 1942 for Mr. Ohnemus, which would have made him about 18 years of age at the time of his attendance at the NSF. I finally found, on an obscure search engine, a link to a Wikipedia entry that contained his name.

It seems that he had succeeded in becoming a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy, and had embarked upon a career in naval aviation as a fighter pilot. One night in 1968, upon returning to Mirimar Naval Air Station in southern California after a training mission, his F-8 Crusader (an aircraft that was not known for its reliability) went down in the Black Mountains north of the base; sadly, he was unable or unwilling to eject and was killed in the crash.

I wonder if that last night, when he was in the darkness of the gunnery range over the Pacific, he gave any thought to the stars above him; perhaps astronomy held but little interest for him by then, but who knows... In any event, just a little story that I thought I would share, of a well-dressed young man and his telescope, who ultimately gave all for his country.

Fred

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Masvingo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland
Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5832278 - 04/30/13 01:02 PM

Thanks for this, Fred, a great bit of research, it's very interesting getting the background to pictures / drawings like this. Astrophotography must have been some challenge in the 60s. It's a shame he had such a tragic end .. I know the RAF over here had quite a high fatality rate post WWII in training flights and similar and guess it wasn't much different for the USN or USAF.

James

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: Masvingo]
      #5832316 - 04/30/13 01:13 PM

Thanks, James! Once looked into, it was but a matter of an hour or so before all the information was in hand. I've looked at that drawing numerous times over the years, but never had the needed clues until this past week, with the knowledge of his name. I find such research fascinating, as there are hidden stories galore, just waiting to be brought to light.

Fred

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5832427 - 04/30/13 02:06 PM

That's a great story, Fred, despite the tragic ending. Is it possible for you to post the image of Roman, or are there copyright issues?

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5832523 - 04/30/13 02:51 PM

Jim, I'd like to oblige, but such use appears to be forbidden. A while back, in answer to this very question, I was informed by a moderator (on another forum) that even a photo of a book cover must be linked to from an external site, due to the copyright policy on CN.

Fred

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5832892 - 04/30/13 05:59 PM

Quote:

Jim, I'd like to oblige, but such use appears to be forbidden. A while back, in answer to this very question, I was informed by a moderator (on another forum) that even a photo of a book cover must be linked to from an external site, due to the copyright policy on CN.

Fred

Yep, shame, but the term "fair use" is completely unknown here. Thanks for an excellent story.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5833022 - 04/30/13 07:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, Fred. That's what I was afraid of.

Jeff Phinney

Reged: 02/20/13

Loc: CA
      #5833032 - 04/30/13 07:13 PM

Looks to be one and the same:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&ne...

Edited by Jeff Phinney (04/30/13 07:14 PM)

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: Jeff Phinney]
      #5833177 - 04/30/13 08:38 PM

I had come across those photos this morning while researching this post, and yes, that is almost certainly him... the third picture down, which appears to be a high school yearbook photo, looks very close to the drawing in the book.

Fred

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5833182 - 04/30/13 08:42 PM

Quote:

Yep, shame, but the term "fair use" is completely unknown here. Thanks for an excellent story.

I know, it certainly rankles at times, but "house rules" and all... anyway, glad you liked it!

Fred

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5833248 - 04/30/13 09:31 PM

Thumbs up for this story, Fred. Thanks.

cildarith
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5850653 - 05/09/13 06:53 PM

Thanks for the story Fred. "All About Telescopes" was one of the first astronomy books I owned.

A little more info regarding the crash can be found here. Specifically:

Quote:

On 12 August 1968, a U.S. Navy Vought F-8 Crusader (F-8C) fighter jet of VF-124 crashed while returning to (then) NAS Miramar, from nighttime sidewinder missile training with 3 other F-8 Crusader fighters. The pilot, LT (JG) Roman S. Ohnemus, 25, did not eject, and died in the crash. The incident occurred in the dark, early morning hours in remote, brush-covered terrain (somewhat level except for narrow valleys), north of (then) NAS Miramar, and Miramar Road, west of Hwy 395 (now I-15), and south of Black Mountain. A small brush fire was started by the crash. Live missiles presented a dangerous crash site to the first-arriving state forestry firefighters, who were woken by the crash. They were from the nearby (between 1 to 2 miles) Miramar California Division of Forestry (now CalFire) fire station.[21]

The area described is now heavily populated - and I live there.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: A drawing of a young man and his telescope... new [Re: cildarith]
      #5918897 - 06/13/13 02:20 PM

Sam Brown had a way of drawing and composing pages that made things instantly understandable. It's still in print and available for about $15.
Though a little dated and certainly not the best reference for the beginner (I think "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" is more complete and current), it is well worth owning for the beginner, even 45-46 years after it was published.
One thing of note is that his illustrations of deep-sky objects are not exaggerated or photographic and will not lead to disappointment at what can be seen (as Hubble photos do).

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1195

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics