Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
biggles
sage

Reged: 10/12/06

Who can tell me?
      #5833612 - 05/01/13 03:02 AM

First off I would like to make it clear that I am an experienced Meade ETX user and fully experienced in the correct set up of these great 'scopes!...so my question is this: I often enjoy the 'tonights best'feature of my Meade etx 125 and always have objects placed in the field of view of my 26mm eyepiece.

This holds true through out the guided tour.

I then often like to do it again, and this is where things go wrong.All most nothing is in the field of view in the eye piece!! Why does this happen?...near as damn it every time?...I am SOOO careful not knock any part of the set up to mess up alignment. My lx 90 10" (before I de-forked it)would do the same thing,..just interested as to why!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Who can tell me? new [Re: biggles]
      #5833628 - 05/01/13 03:41 AM

I have to say I haven't noticed problems like that - I did run several times through the tonight's best with my ETX125, with no issues.

My guess is that there could be some grease in the encoder wheel of on of the axis, so that slowly the scope loses track of exactly what is where. Alternatively the drive training values are not perfect and so the accumulated backlash over the first session starts to reduce its accuracy.

Otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell...

Yannick

biggles
sage

Reged: 10/12/06

Re: Who can tell me? new [Re: cuivienor]
      #5833666 - 05/01/13 04:44 AM

Thanks Yannick, I did not think of either of those possibilities. The 'scope is probably a good ten years old, although this wound not normally be a problem, the person who owned it before me was not careful about storing it and did not use it more than 5 of 6 times, so it is certainly possible. The forecast here in Suffolk England U.K is clear for tonight so I can train drives and stuff then.

clear skies and clean glass
Mike

redlinedb16a
sage

Reged: 10/17/10

Re: Who can tell me? new [Re: biggles]
      #5835313 - 05/01/13 10:02 PM

Sometimes I'd re align my scope and that would correct it

Make sure the home position is correct,the less you have to slew to the alignment stars the more accurate
Also make sure you have a strong power supply,freash charged batteries
Completely level

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Who can tell me? new [Re: redlinedb16a]
      #5845169 - 05/07/13 09:31 AM

Probably just an accumulation of small errors. Working on the calibration and backlash settings may help, but realigning should be a cure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 548

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics