Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
cirrus1500

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: California
LX90-Adjusting tripod legs to achieve 13 deg north
      #5833893 - 05/01/13 09:13 AM

Hello, i am located in Thailand (lat. 13N), and I would like to set up my LX90 in equatorial mode. Unfortunately Meade's wedge which I planned to purchase will not support latitude under 20N. I am thinking if it is possible to use Meade's wedge and set it to its lowest latitude, and adjust the remaining wedge angle down to 13N by adjusting the legs of the tripod so that effectively the scope is pointing towards the NCP at 13 deg north. I know doing so will reduce the stability of the setup, but perhaps it is still stable enough? Can anyone with experience with Meade's wedge give some advice on whether it is possible? I would like to use the setup to experiment with AP. Thanks.

Edited by cirrus1500 (05/01/13 09:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: LX90-Adjusting tripod legs to achieve 13 deg north new [Re: cirrus1500]
      #5837926 - 05/03/13 09:45 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

This drawing is of a wedge I designed to put an ETX125 on a Meade SCT field tripod. Beefed up it may serve for your experimentation. I think you will want to move the tripod mounting out to get a better balance of you scope and mount. You want the center of gravity over the center of the tripod for safety. Hope this helps.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: LX90-Adjusting tripod legs to achieve 13 deg north new [Re: Geo.]
      #5838429 - 05/03/13 01:49 PM

I'd be a little concerned about making the tripod unstable. One thing that you might consider is making a wedge that fits under the Meade wedge that will add an additional 10 degrees of tilt. That way the center of gravity remains nice and centered over the tripod.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics