Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5837406 - 05/02/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

...I know the CCD guys talk about "noise free" Sony sensors, of course they are cooling them. ...

Don't know which thread you are referring to (the one in CCD imaging subforum on SONY CCD...?) SONY Semiconductor Business Unit has long discontinued APS-C sized CCD image sensors and everything in APS-C sized has now transitioned to CMOS image sensors.

Recent SONY APS-C sized CMOS image sensors are great sensors (except not yet being used in astroCCD imagers) used in few selected models of DSLRs and MILCs. (Few camera mfgs: SONY, Nikon, Pentax, ...) E.g., see this CN thread.
It is so good that the sensor's little brother (FourThirds sized) is being commissioned and used in selected Panny and Oly MILCs.

BTW, almost all camera mfgs establish product tiers. Fancy features are reserved for high end models for people willing to pay. Call it the beauty of capitalism.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5837477 - 05/02/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...I know the CCD guys talk about "noise free" Sony sensors, of course they are cooling them. ...

Don't know which thread you are referring to (the one in CCD imaging subforum on SONY CCD...?) SONY Semiconductor Business Unit has long discontinued APS-C sized CCD image sensors and everything in APS-C sized has now transitioned to CMOS image sensors.

ccs_hello

No. Not APS-C sized sensors. That's one of the problems I've had in shopping for a CCD, go smaller then APS-C or spend $10k. The Sony ICX694 is one of the Sony's I'm referring to. Only problem for me is it's a bit small. DSLR users are spoiled with our large FOV's.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5837891 - 05/03/13 09:29 AM

Quote:

WOW.... didn't mean to throw gasoline on an embers fellas... *BLEEP*.

I appreciate the suggestions to "go big or go home" with getting the more expensive Canon DSLR or even the other suggestions... But we're missing the point here... $299 for a 20MP camera.

As far as controlling the camera I was considering the Samsung control software or one of the various other camera control packages for android... Use my tablet.. Leave the back screen completely off(no cool down after centering) and use the tablet as the control unit. Plus most of these allow downloading the images directly to the android device as well so no worries about even having to touch the camera outside of the focusing process. Or at least that's my line of thought for now...

I think your first statement is a little misguided. You want less megapixels instead of more because the bigger the pixels are the more light each pixel can gather. Honestly 8 megapixels is plenty for AP. However, there aren't many DSLRs left now that only have 8 megapixels.

You can find a used camera from any manufacturer for less than $300. You can even get a really nice older Canon camera for less than $300 used if you are patient and shop around. However, there are also some other manufactures that you can get a brand new camera for under $300 if you don't want to buy used.

I think the main theme of this thread is that there are plenty of options out there for less than $300. Some definitely work, some may work, and some may not work. It is probably going to be completely up to you which route you choose.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5839190 - 05/03/13 10:16 PM

I never said Canon was "the best"...just to be specific..

"Going big or going home" has nothing to do with spending massive amounts of $ on the "best"/newest Canon DSLR out there..

My real point is that even the "old" Canon XS/XSi is still a very formidable camera, vs even newer models, for AP..

If you want to go with a smaller sensor camera (M4/3,etc), that is fine! Do it!

It is just my experience that people tend to be much happier with their images AND the ease of use with the Canon brand.
Again...CURRENTLY.

So why go against the grain? or try something that is not PROVEN to perform in the field we are talking about..

It is your money, do whatever makes YOU happy

Also, not trying to throw gas on embers here...just giving my 2's.. And I have used/owned/modified and worked with a LOT of people with a VERY wide range of cameras.

On THIS forum, with THIS topic, I say go with the best Canon you can afford..
That is NOT me saying Canon is the best..that is me saying get the best model you can with the current budget you have.
If your budget does not allow for the camera you want, save up and just wait til you can afford it.
Of course, if you find something you want, whether Canon or not, GET IT! If that is what you want, why should we stop you?
Only you can answer what will make you happy

Quote:

Quote:

appreciate the suggestions to "go big or go home" with getting the more expensive Canon DSLR or even the other suggestions... But we're missing the point here... $299 for a 20MP camera.

As far as controlling the camera I was considering the Samsung control software or one of the various other camera control packages for android... Use my tablet.. Leave the back screen completely off(no cool down after centering) and use the tablet as the control unit. Plus most of these allow downloading the images directly to the android device as well so no worries about even having to touch the camera outside of the focusing process. Or at least that's my line of thought for now...

I think your first statement is a little misguided. You want less megapixels instead of more because the bigger the pixels are the more light each pixel can gather. Honestly 8 megapixels is plenty for AP. However, there aren't many DSLRs left now that only have 8 megapixels.

Your advice here is somewhat true..but with newer tech it has been proven that we can have our cake and eat it too...meaning you can get 18Mp and still have a VERY sensitive camera with low noise.
NO, it is no substitute to an 6-8um pixel camera, but it still works, and that is all that matters.

Also, in EVERY form of photography it really makes no difference how MANY pixels are in a sensor(unless you print VERY large, like billboard large, like with the D800's 36Mp! lol). This is really only true with recent models (less than 2-3yrs old)..
What we really care about is the SIZE of the pixels and the SIZE of the sensor.
Would you rather have an 8Mp sensor from your iPhone, or an 18Mp APS-C or Full Frame sensor from a "REAL" camera?
I hope the answer to that is obvious

IMHO the only time "go big or go home" comes to Pixel and Sensor size. Other than that, everything else is secondary.

Again, IMHO, YMMV, my own 2's, etc etc!

Cheers!

fishonkevin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/29/07

Loc: Michigan
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5839260 - 05/03/13 10:51 PM

Please try to keep on topic, which is "Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography?"

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5839263 - 05/03/13 10:54 PM

Quote:

It is just my experience that people tend to be much happier with their images AND the ease of use with the Canon brand.
Again...CURRENTLY.

Is it that you have only ever talked to people using Canon cameras or do you actually have experience with someone being disappointed with the Samsung he mentioned or the m4/3s cameras I did? A lot of people just assume that because it hasn't been widely used it must be bad.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: fishonkevin]
      #5839272 - 05/03/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

Please try to keep on topic, which is "Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography?"

That is very hard to do. So far no one has used it for AP that has spoken up. However, some of us have used similar cameras with similar characteristics and our experiences with what works with those cameras and what doesn't could help the O.P. to determine what risks he wants to take or not.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5840673 - 05/04/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Again...CURRENTLY.

Is it that you have only ever talked to people using Canon cameras or do you actually have experience with someone being disappointed with the Samsung he mentioned or the m4/3s cameras I did? A lot of people just assume that because it hasn't been widely used it must be bad.

I dont think so..at all... I get emails/questions all the time on "will this camera work for AP or do I need to buy a Canon?"
I always look at what they are using and then draw a comparison to cameras I have used/modified/etc and then give the best advice possible.
Most times, yes, the answer is; Get a Canon and be done with it..
But sometimes I will tell people they should just try what they have and see how it performs and then decide on modification or 'upgrade'..

There is always a new model coming out (from any manufacturer), so it is impossible to stay on top of them all and be able to answer every question..
Which is why I always revert to the original "choice", the Canon DSLRs that have been proven to work.
Even though I really do not have any allegiance to any one brand..personally

If I went into every model I have owned/used/modified/researched/discussed at length with owners, etc. we would be here all day...

Point is, most people do not have the $ to just buy random models they THINK may work just to test them out and decide if it is a keeper or not.
Those that do are pioneers for every model..and we all learn from them.

And yet, after all of this...why do we still come back to Canon? because they work. And are vastly supported in the community, not to mention all the collective experience from all of the Canon users..which is worth its weight in gold for 'newbies'..

If it does not agree with your ideas, fine. That is the whole point of all of this..to hash out and see what works and what doesnt.

And IMHO the debate should no longer be about "model x vs model y"...
It should be about what model works with the software and support for this particular application.
I say that because in the end, most of the models we are talking about (and all those to come), are GREAT cameras with amazing image quality..
Chances are if you put any of them on your scope you would get the images you want...BUT, would they work as easily as what is currently defined as "the best option"?
that is the real question..
Again...IMHO

Also IMHO, BackYardEOS is reason alone to go with Canon

The Samsung NX's have been a major disappointment in low light photography...you do not have to take my word for it. Nor have I ever said that you do/anyone does... Or that whatever I say is right or wrong, just IMHO and in my personal experience.
I have no clue how the exact model in the OP, the NX1000, will work (for AP) as I have not used one, yet. nor do I know anyone who has. But I do know (personally) the NX100, NX200, and NX20..and would gladly put my $ elsewhere..

Be a pioneer. Show us they work and we will start using them..
Until then, it is all conjecture and speculation.. imho..

Edited by nofxrx (05/04/13 08:12 PM)

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Could the Samsung Nx1000 work fo astrophotography? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5840833 - 05/04/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

Could the Samsung Nx1000 work for astrophotography?

Simple answer yes, practical answer NO; Canon is the name of the game. Get one of these, be it a used one. Newer the better, AP modified the best. Thx

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics