Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1
KShank

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: DFW Megaplex
Sloan 2 or Johnson/Cousins
      #5834673 - 05/01/13 03:37 PM

Hi, been practicing my technique and now ready to buy a filter to begin the real collection of shareable data. My question is quite simple. For my system (STL11000) the cost for a J/C V filter is about the same as the Sloan g' filter. Any thoughts by users if it is better to get started with the Sloan or stay J/C for now?

Thanks,
keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StupendousMan

Reged: 08/21/05

Re: Sloan 2 or Johnson/Cousins new [Re: KShank]
      #5836502 - 05/02/13 02:44 PM

I'd say that either is fine, but I'd suggest going with the V filter. If you are going to work in a single bandpass, and relatively bright stars, there's much more information in V than in g'.

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Sloan 2 or Johnson/Cousins new [Re: StupendousMan]
      #5840309 - 05/04/13 03:35 PM

Agreed. Further V-filter observations are the majority of those submitted to the AAVSO and most of the comparison stars are reported in BVRI photometry. I would avoid Sloan g' entirely and stick to V to begin. Then add B and either R or I if you want to do more than one filter. (I am assuming you are a beginning photometrist -- correct?)

Example: When I started I shot a bunch of standard fields (M67, Landolt) so that I could compare my results with "knowns." These are reported in BVRI. Are they reported in Sloan g'? I don't know.

Ed

KShank

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: DFW Megaplex
Re: Sloan 2 or Johnson/Cousins new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5843292 - 05/06/13 11:13 AM

Hi thanks to the good feedback. I appreciate the view, I was not sure if the Sloan was going to replace the JC system due to the sharper bandpass and correlation to some of the newer systems. But the view on verifying to known sequences sounds most reasonable, and also being able to get mentoring support as I move forward. My thought is to spend a year getting fully synchronized with just using the V filter as my practice runs (asteroids) have been unfiltered.

Again, thanks for the inputs, next stop AD for the V filter!
keith

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 773

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics