Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
6se vrs 8se
      #5834714 - 05/01/13 04:09 PM

I had been lurking on the forums for a while and I decided to join up a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a nexstar 6se instead of the 8se. after seeing the images here and seeing that most people like to us the 8 How much of a difference is there? Did I make a good choice? I know that last one is subjective, but do you get better views with the 8se?
My reasons for choosing the 6 was price point, I was able to get the bundle with all the stuff I thought I would need instead of using all the funds on just the scope. Ive enjoyed playing with a cam to get some [pictures and goofing with registax and I notice Im getting better. I think long term I would like to get the 11from celestron, I love the go to features, and use the hyperstar I see a lot of really nice images there and I can see myself leaning in that direction. So would it make sense to stick with the se for viewing and just use the future goal for ap? I do like the portability and it has been nice for family bbqs so far this year and seeing things family has never seen. . .as well as some really impressive things.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tyranthrax
sage

Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5834728 - 05/01/13 04:19 PM

bah I forgot to fix the typo, Iment to say woudl it make sence to stick with the 6 and use it for viewing and wait to upgrade for the 11" withthe better camera than it woud be to try to straight upgrade from a 6 to an 8 then get the 11 etc?

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5834737 - 05/01/13 04:27 PM

Welcome to CN and the Nexstar corner of the forum.

The 6SE is a fantastic scope. That was the one I almost bought, but decided to get the 8SE because of my slice of light pollution heaven.

You will have many years of enjoying your new scope.

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: ben2112]
      #5834741 - 05/01/13 04:31 PM

Yes, keep the 6, if it makes you feel better it's a better size for the mount. Then if you're really sure you want more aperture I'd get the 11. Of course you can always keep your eyes peeled for a great deal on a second hand 8" OTA if you really can't hold out.

Tyranthrax
sage

#5834743 - 05/01/13 04:32 PM

I haven't been disapointed so to speak, and I'm getting better every time I take it out. I love the protability, these things aren't lite by any means, but I didn't ant to drp some serious cash unles si was serious abou thte hobby. seeing how I keep goign down the rabbit hole am I missing out much withthe extra apperature? I also woudl get more magnification, but So far when I up the magnification the objects are blury and harder to focus, I'm getting better.

Tyranthrax
sage

#5834747 - 05/01/13 04:35 PM

I can hold out, I would like to get goodand the 11" and hyperstar is by no means cheep. However I think its wortht he wait and investment. I just wasn't sure if I was missing much with the 6

hawk
sage

Reged: 03/12/13

#5834767 - 05/01/13 04:46 PM

Not an expert, but I'll relay advice I've heard, which is that the size of the scope is definitely less important for AP than the stability of the mount. And, in fact, a bigger scope can be a liability because it will require a bigger mount. Also, the 8" OTAs being sold today are mostly hyperstar compatible now. And I think starizona even makes a hyperstar kit for the C6, so you could always get something like the VX mount and the hyperstar for your current C6 without having to change OTAs.

Or, for example, you could go for the EdgeHD version of the 8", which has benefits if you're not going to use hyperstar. (Well, the vents and mirror locks and better design are good, too, even if you do use hyperstar.)

The 11" will certainly great for visual, but for AP with the 11" you'll probably want to be in a much more substantial mount, e.g. the CGEM DX, and get an autoguider if you're planning to do long exposures.

(Again, I'm relaying advice I've heard, so take this with a grain of second-hand-advice salt.)

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5834773 - 05/01/13 04:51 PM

Look up what light pollution level you are. Look up Light Pollution Overlay for Google Earth. That will tell you what zone you are in. White - Really bad light pollution, Red - Bad light pollution, Orange - Better then Red, Green - better then Orange, Blue - better then Green, etc..

Tyranthrax
sage

#5834784 - 05/01/13 04:56 PM

I'm in the high desert in nevada I have been getting good skies, only thing better is viisting my fatherin law's cabin in the mountain, http://cleardarksky.com/c/GaslineRdNVkey.html?1
I thought aboutthe hyperstar for the 6 but would it be worth it?

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5834798 - 05/01/13 05:01 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Looks like you have access to some nice dark areas..

hdt
sage

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: N35°10' W106°32'
      #5834824 - 05/01/13 05:13 PM

T,

Congratulations & welcome.

I personally have the 8SE, but here's my take: If you intend to take pictures, the 6SE is probably a better bet. While it has nearly 50% less light gathering capability than the 8, the mount itself is identical. The 6SE is going to be more mechanically stable on the mount than the 8SE. For visual use, you may have to strain a bit more to see a dim extended object. But for getting your feet wet in webcam or DSLR imaging, the 6SE, being mechanically more stable, won't ring quite as much, and will stabilize faster.

If you get seriously bit with the AP bug, hold out for an Edge. In the meantime, keep the 6SE as the "easily fits in the back of the car & goes places" scope. The best scope is not the biggest one--it's the one you take out & use a lot.

As a retirement gift (not for several years yet!), I have my eye on an Edge on the VX mount.

Tyranthrax
sage

#5834839 - 05/01/13 05:20 PM

I dfinatly do. . .it would eb better if the city would shut of fthat stupid stret light I have in my front of my house, it's not too bad. I'm guessing from what I can understand that thre isn't much of a difference between thw * and the 6 as much as I would notice. I understand there would be more aperature with the 8, I do also understand that the celestron 11 has a pretty solid mount. BTW where you get that map?

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#5834866 - 05/01/13 05:36 PM

It's a light pollution overlay for Google Earth..

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5834878 - 05/01/13 05:41 PM

Tyranthrax,

I started with the 6 and eventually bought a used 8"OTA on the forums for $400, and the difference is measurable. As has been noted, the 8 is also heavier, thus you get increased vibration issues due to the greater strain on the mount. However, if you tie some weights to the eyepiece holder on the mount (bungie cords work well) you can minimize the shakes better. Vibration pads help too.

I haven't tested too much AP work yet with the new OTA but visually it's been noticeably better. The clouds around M42 were more detailed, and I could see more detail in Jupiter and Saturn so far as well.

I would recommend upgrading if you can get a good deal, but I probably wouldn't spend more than say $500 to do so. Anything over that and I might as well start saving for an EQ mount.

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
      #5834885 - 05/01/13 05:43 PM

Welcome!

I have the 6SE as a travel scope. I used to have a 8SE, but traded down - easier for me to move the 6SE around.

At a dark and quiet skies site, my 6SE will sometimes give views that rival my CPC1100 beast from my light polluted skies at home.

That 6SE is a fine scope. Rugged, steady, and easy to use. IMHO, it is a lot of big-bang-theory for the bucks.

If you want to find out your sky conditions and light pollution, check HERE and find a location that is close to your viewing position.

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: katie]
      #5834899 - 05/01/13 05:51 PM

thanks for all the points. I hve noticed my viewing gets better each time I go out, I am certain it comes with experiace. Fortunatly I live ina very doark small dtown in the high desert. so logn as the dust settles down adn the heat aint bad I get some great views. Knowing what to look for helps out alot as well, this is just an addictive hobby I'm enjoying and can appriciate the epic scale of what I am seeing with my own eyes, its one thing to see a picture, but a whole nother to see it yourself. I was kind of second guessng myself and my choice with the direction I was going. I'm hthinking it might be worth waiting for the bigger one and keepign this oen for a more visual/travel scope as the big one is heavy from what I saw. Any thought on how the hyperstar works on the 6"?

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
      #5834916 - 05/01/13 05:59 PM

Quote:

Any thought on how the hyperstar works on the 6"?

I have the HS for the CPC1100 and gave some thought to the 6SE. After a bit, I decided it was not worth it...for me.

Here is the problem.

The HS fits on the front of the scope and then you attach a camera to the HS. If you have a coke-can shaped camera then you will be ok. However, if you try to use a DSLR, the camera shadows(blocks) a fair amount of light getting to the corrector plate. Basically, the DSLR would cause numerous problems due to blocking the light path.

I have a coke-can camera (ATIK 460EX), but I would still not buy a HS for the 6SE - return on investment is just not there for me. You need to decide.

For imaging on the 6SE I use a f6.3 reducer and a Canon camera. Keep the image times short and shoot images toward the east/west (prevent field rotation) and the ALT/AZ mount will surprise you.

butsam

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Ohio
Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: katie]
      #5835281 - 05/01/13 09:37 PM

I think it depends on what you want to observe. If you are mostly observing fairly bright objects under dark skies, you probably won't notice as much of a difference as if you want to observe somewhat dimmer objects, and/or you have more light-polluted skies.

I opted for the 8 SE and I am glad that I did, as in our suburbs of a somewhat major city there is enough light pollution to need the extra gathering capability...but I still think the 6 SE would probably be a nice 'scope as well.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: butsam]
      #5835325 - 05/01/13 10:12 PM

I love my 6" sct. It is the perfect tenacious grab and go easy set up powerhouse of an instrument. The eight has an edge but as mentioned keep the 6" if u want to out step it handedly the 11 is turning out some of the best images out there. Here's the thing : even if u get the 11 I shouldn't sell the 6". Its the perfect compliment to the heavier scope .

You did great . Keep the 6. If u want more get an 11 not an 8.

Pete

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: 6se vrs 8se new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5835827 - 05/02/13 08:58 AM

Absolutely positively nothing wrong with the 6Se as a visual scope (the mount itself however is not so great for AP) Most of us opt for the 8 because of the extra two inches and do not ind the extra 2 or 3 pounds of weight to be of any significance...

Had to laugh at Katies comment about her 6 vs her 11 at a dark site.. I too Live in Maryland and boy at Cherry Springs Penna my 8i just KILLS my CPC1100 which I have mounted in my observatory at home.....and my little 100 mm refractor equals or betters my 8i IF I use the 8i at home

ob G.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 705

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics