Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
NG98
journeyman

Reged: 04/28/13

Good Dark Skies near Toronto Ontario?
      #5834915 - 05/01/13 05:59 PM

Title explains it all. In Ontario, which provincial/national park has little to no light pollution and is really good for stargazing?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bogg

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: Good Dark Skies near Toronto Ontario? new [Re: NG98]
      #5837030 - 05/02/13 07:05 PM

Two parks located in dark sky's are Silent lake provincial park north of Peterborough and south of Bancroft. The other is Cyprus Lake federal park near Tobermory. Two others in dark sky areas are Grundy Lake north of Parry Sound and Restoule South of North bay. There is also Balsam lake east of Orillia, Awenda west of Orillia. There is presquille near Trenton and Long Point and Turkey Point near Port Dover. The last three I am not shure how dark the skys would be. There are others check the provincial park website for other information. Also note the campers like their fires, works almost as good as clouds. some propane lanterns might be able to cast shadows in the daytime and they use them at night( hope you don't get near one like I did one year). People are very friendly and I have always had interest in viewing through my scope.

Astrohat

Reged: 04/30/13

Re: Good Dark Skies near Toronto Ontario? new [Re: bogg]
      #5872702 - 05/19/13 10:27 PM

"Dickinson spent two years developing a “Dark Sky Viewing Area” about three hours from the city in the wilderness north of Highway 401 near Erinsville in Lennox-Addington County. "

That's 2 hours from Toronto. I am planning on going there this Summer when the Milky Way looks its best.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2012/08/06/see_the_night_sky_as_it_was_meant_to_b...

Edited by Astrohat (05/19/13 10:33 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 795

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics