Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Tublug question new
      #5834689 - 05/01/13 03:50 PM

OK I got the Glatter laser collimator and Tublug for my Dob, as the Orion laser was just not precise enough. In a daytime runthrough I have no issues making fine adjustments to the secondary to hot the center spot, but with the Tublug in the focuser and the laser inserted the red concentric rings are offset to one side, even when I make primary adjustments to center the primary ring shadow on the Tublug center spot. Is my secondary off center? Looking though the bare focuser everything seems to be centered all the way down, but I am concerned that what I am seeing on the Tublug screen is not what I have seen in illustrations.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dick Jacobson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/22/06

Loc: Plymouth, Minnesota, USA
Re: Tublug question new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5834742 - 05/01/13 04:32 PM

Check whether the diagonal insert in the TuBlug has slipped downward. I had this problem until I realized that the lower thumb screw was intended to lock the diagonal insert in place, while the upper one locks the laser unit.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
      #5834750 - 05/01/13 04:35 PM

Hi Mike-

Yeah, my TuBlug does the same thing. I do *not* believe this is an issue. In fact, i can wiggle & rotate my "Hotech" 2-inch laser in the TuBlug & the illumination & "red-rings" move about freely... but my center-spot reflection is steady as a rock! I believe *this* is what counts.

Really dig my TuBlug! It has made collimation a total snap!
mike b

Note: I've long since given up using the Hutech for adjusting the secondary- even with the expanding rubber rings thingie, i could NOT get consistent results - so use it *only* in the tail-end of the TuBlug. I have an excellent old Kendrick 2" laser that is standing in for secondary collimation, until the day i get a Glatter.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #5834787 - 05/01/13 04:56 PM

By chance did you leave the 1mm aperture stop in the laser when you inserted it in the TuBlug?

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: Tublug question new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #5834900 - 05/01/13 05:52 PM

Vic is that the white plate the screws off the business end? I wondered about that.

Vic Menard
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/21/04

Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #5834940 - 05/01/13 06:14 PM

Yep.
You're supposed to remove the 1mm aperture stop before you insert the laser in the TuBlug. That should cause the broad rings to disappear on the primary mirror surface. As Mike B noted above, it's not an issue--when you're using the TuBlug, the only alignment signature you should be looking for is the silhouette of the primary mirror center spot aligned to the Barlowed laser aperture in the TuBlug window.

Jason D
Postmaster

Reged: 10/21/06

Loc: California
Re: Tublug question new [Re: Vic Menard]
      #5834958 - 05/01/13 06:22 PM

Top right is with the 1mm aperture stop attachment. Top left without any attachments.

Jason

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

#5835007 - 05/01/13 06:53 PM

Hi Mike,

Did you get a copy of the instructions ? -
". .If the collimator has an aperture stop that was installed for the secondary adjustment, remove it first before using the tuBlug. If not, the Barlowed shadow will lack contrast, and you may be confused by diffraction rings on the tuBlug screen."

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Tublug question new [Re: Dick Jacobson]
      #5835036 - 05/01/13 07:09 PM

Hi Dick,

". .the diagonal insert in the TuBlug has slipped downward. I had this problem until I realized that the lower thumb screw was intended to lock the diagonal insert in place, while the upper one locks the laser unit."

Actually, the tuBlug insert is intended to be positioned just further in from the air escape hole, past the second (from the 2" opening) clamp screw. Both screws are used to clamp a 2" collimator body. If your tuBlug insert is too loose within the tube please accept my apology. PM me your address, and I can send you plastic shim strips that fit down in the groove under the o-ring, expanding it to make a tight fit.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Re: Tublug question [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5835053 - 05/01/13 07:16 PM

Got it Mr. Glatter . . . I think I have this mastered now and will test run as soon as these clouds depart. Probably ought to ship another set to Astronomics as I cut into their stock this week!

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 382

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics