Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Astrohat

Reged: 04/30/13

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice *DELETED* new [Re: stevenf]
      #5835583 - 05/02/13 02:04 AM

Post deleted by Astrohat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Astrohat]
      #5835642 - 05/02/13 03:56 AM

Actually, there are a few interesting post I had not seen before. So I hold off my decision.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice [Re: csrlice12]
      #5835697 - 05/02/13 06:50 AM

What camera did you use to get such great photos?

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Widespread]
      #5836203 - 05/02/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

A Bogen tripod with a fluid head would indeed work well.

As Jon says, the mount affects portability the most, which is why I suggested the AZ-4 as the lightest mount I know of that has slo-mo controls.

But OP only mentions EQ mounts, so maybe he's not interested in altaz. Which is absolutely fine, except it belies the statement that portability is top priority (as it would be for me, were I to take a scope on a bus).

Widespread, I decided to put your claim to test. I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic. Add to this the weight of my laptop, webcam, camera and other astronomy accessories. I have to rethink the project. I think I have to determine how many pounds I can reasonably carry around. It will be key in choosing the tripod.

Astrohat

#5836212 - 05/02/13 12:40 PM

I am going to a specialized astronomy store here in Toronto tomorrow to look at different tripods, and ask advice. I will tell the employee the portability limitations I'm facing.

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #5836271 - 05/02/13 01:12 PM

If 16 lbs is too heavy for you to haul around, you'll need to rethink your entire premise. There's really no way you'll be able to transport a scope, mount,tripod AND laptop, camera and other stuff and get anywhere close to that limit.

For instance, an Orion ST80 weighs in at about 4 lbs. Add a decent eyepiece and a star diagonal and you'll be up to about 5 lbs. A Universal Astronomics DwarfStar mount will add another 2 lbs and you're left with choosing a tripod. If you want to go ultralight with a full sized tripod, it can be done, but you'll sacrifice stability. A tabletop tripod is possible but then you'll need a stable surface to put it on at your destination.

In Short, if you want to keep the weight below say, 15 lbs, you'll be looking at a lightweight tripod that may end up being flimsy, and a smallish scope and mount with very little, if anything, in the way of accessories. Forget taking pictures.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5836279 - 05/02/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

What camera did you use to get such great photos?

Canon 550d, on a "*BLEEP*" Meade DS2000 Alt/Az, 12 to 15 subs at ISO 1600, exposed fot 15 or 20 seconds, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker.

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Geo.]
      #5836308 - 05/02/13 01:26 PM

Ken, this project is pretty much killed. what I'll do this week is look for a place where proper for astronomy and that a table. This way, I can do away with the tripod altogether.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5836321 - 05/02/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic.

Possibly not -- nor would you be happy trying to balance all this on your nose.

You're using the wrong container! Carrying 16 pounds in a good daypack with a hipbelt is a piece of cake. In fact, I routinely hike 20 miles a day over exceedingly steep, rough trails with twice that much weight.

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5836714 - 05/02/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic.

Possibly not -- nor would you be happy trying to balance all this on your nose.

You're using the wrong container! Carrying 16 pounds in a good daypack with a hipbelt is a piece of cake. In fact, I routinely hike 20 miles a day over exceedingly steep, rough trails with twice that much weight.

Good point!

I am going to a friend on Monday, if the sky is clear. I will try her Meade 70mm refractor which sits on an alt-az tripod. That will give me a chance to get a good feeling of that kind of tripod.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5837028 - 05/02/13 07:05 PM

Give the 70mm and alt/az a try like you said. Check here Orion alt/az for Alt/az mounts for under $200. The AZ-4 Micro Motion looks good and goes for 150. I think something like this is the way to go. Any EQ mount will be more in weight due to the mount and counter weight. The ST80 is light and small, and so is the AZ-4. It won't take much room in the car when you go camping and will set up quick. For at home a nice Don (6 or8") will be good.

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5837199 - 05/02/13 08:42 PM

How about this one with free shipping and a ra motor included.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-powerseeker-80eq-telescope-package-2104...
Not quite a short tube but will have less color...and cheap, with warranty. wc

Edited by wcstarguy (05/02/13 08:43 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5837234 - 05/02/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-powerseeker-80eq-telescope-package-2104...

A few thoughts:

- An 80mm F/11.3 like the Powerseeker 80 will be perform better at high magnifications and have less false color, it will also have a much narrower maximum possible field of view, the ST-80 is capable of a 4 degree TFoV, nearly that of a typical binocular, the PowerSeeker 80 is capable of a 1.7 degree TFoV.

- The EQ-2 mount looks more like the CG-2 mount which is actually the EQ-1 mount. In any event it is undersized for a scope that is nearly 3 feet long.

- The Powerseekers ship normally with an undersized correct image diagonal and two element Huygen's eyepieces with a 30 degree AFoV. The widest field of view will be with the H-20 and about 2/3 of a degree, somewhat bigger than the moon. That will make finding objects difficult.

Like many entry level refractors, the telescope itself is quite decent, the mount and eyepieces are seriously compromised.

Jon

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5837262 - 05/02/13 09:15 PM

Quote:

Now that I will probably use a much lighter weight, this model is back on the list. It all boils down to the total weight.

What do you mean by less color?

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

#5837296 - 05/02/13 09:28 PM

I just went through the thread again and noticed this scope was already suggested. Someone with more expertise will explain false color better than I, but basically the longer focal length scope tends to focus the primary colors (red, green, blue)more accurately, thus you see less chromatic aberration, or false color on bright objects, like the moon, planets or bright stars. This color shows itself usually as a violet or purple ring around the object. This color bothers some folks but others can manage to ignore it altogether. Jon is right about this scope being under mounted on the eq1 mount...but I'm still thinking of getting one of these, more to use the scope on another (alt-az) mount I have while using the eq1 mount for a camera platform or with my c90 mak...wc

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5837317 - 05/02/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

Now that I will probably use a much lighter weight, this model is back on the list. It all boils down to the total weight.

What do you mean by less color?

I am not sure what you mean by a much lighter weight... "tripod." Is that what you meant? This scope will be about 36 inches long and requires a real mount, it cannot be used with a table top tripod..

Color: Both these scopes are "achromatic" refractors. An achromat uses two pieces of glass that are matched in order to address the problem of "chromatic aberration", sometimes called false color or color fringing. False color shows itself as a purple haze around a bright object, a star or planet and it affects the clarity of the view.

A shorter focal length increases the amount of false color, viewing Jupiter with the ST-80, the purple haze will be a problem. With the Powerseeker 80 with it's F/11 focal ratio, it will be visible but much reduced.

Refractors which are free of chromatic aberration use exotic synthetic fluorite glass and are quite expensive.. The Orion ED-80 has been around now for about 10 years, when it hit the market at $500, no one could quite believe it was for real. It uses the best synthetic fluorite, FPL-53...

Jon

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5837608 - 05/03/13 02:57 AM

Good news! I've found a nice place for astronomy. I took my bike tonight and headed North after I realized that starting just across the street, it is a much less populated area, so in theory, a less light polluted area. I was right. Just 10 minutes from where I live, there is a City park where there is no light at all. I could hardly the ground in front of me when I was walking, so I had to be careful. There are some street lights in the street after you pass the park, but it is not that bad.

So that would be my sky watching spot, unless the cops come over and tell me that I cannot stay there at night. I think I will call the City just to verify. With that newly found location, portability is no longer a problem in choosing a telescope and tripod. I have a bicycle rack to put my equipment on. Depending on the City park policies, I am ready to upgrade to a 90mm or 102mm model. Even if they say it is forbidden, there was never anybody walking in the park. I will try to stay as invisible as possible.

Edited by Astrohat (05/03/13 02:58 AM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5837703 - 05/03/13 06:59 AM

Quote:

Good news! I've found a nice place for astronomy. I took my bike tonight and headed North after I realized that starting just across the street, it is a much less populated area, so in theory, a less light polluted area. I was right. Just 10 minutes from where I live, there is a City park where there is no light at all. I could hardly the ground in front of me when I was walking, so I had to be careful. There are some street lights in the street after you pass the park, but it is not that bad.

So that would be my sky watching spot, unless the cops come over and tell me that I cannot stay there at night. I think I will call the City just to verify. With that newly found location, portability is no longer a problem in choosing a telescope and tripod. I have a bicycle rack to put my equipment on. Depending on the City park policies, I am ready to upgrade to a 90mm or 102mm model. Even if they say it is forbidden, there was never anybody walking in the park. I will try to stay as invisible as possible.

Sounds good. I often bicycle to my local park with my 70-mm refractor and a photo tripod, and occasionally bicycle with my 100-mm f/6 refractor. Note, however, that it's one of the lightest 100-mm refractors around, and even so it's distinctly undermounted on my 3021 Bogen tripod. The optical tube goes in my backpack (to save it from jostling), and the tripod goes on my luggage carrier.

One of the keys to lightweight astronomy is to observe from a sitting position. That way, you can use a smaller tripod, and regardless of the tripod it will be much stabler.

If you're comfortable sitting on the ground, that's great. Otherwise, the bulk and weight of a 3-legged aluminum camping stool or a folding "hunter's seat" is very small, and is amply recouped by the saving in the weight of the tripod.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5837797 - 05/03/13 08:32 AM

They do make carts for bikes. Similar to the ones that bikers use to tow their babies in, and scopes are our "babies", right??

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice [Re: csrlice12]
      #5838509 - 05/03/13 02:37 PM

There is a bench in the park, so I won't even need to bring a chair. I can put my laptop on it as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2484

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics