Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Brian Schmidt
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/09

Loc: Dallas, GA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: John Rhodes]
      #5834913 - 05/01/13 05:59 PM

Didn't realize that TeleVue offered this warranty. Certainly changes makes buying new a more attractive option for current production eyepieces for us younger folks knowing that they will stand behind their product if there ever is an issue.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: linux]
      #5834987 - 05/01/13 06:38 PM

As noted, TeleVue does have sales once or twice a year. Question: what country owns Explorer Scientific? Their prices are consistently lower than TeleVue's. I believe I know the answer as to why.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5835047 - 05/01/13 07:13 PM

Maybe Scotty is developing the formula for transparent aluminum as we speak.....

John Huntley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/16/06

Loc: South West England
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Paul G]
      #5835095 - 05/01/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

.....That's one reason I stick with Televue. I prefer to reward the innovators with my business so they can stick around and innovate some more.....

Thats how I see it as well.

Even so, when it came to the 20mm hyper-wide niche I did go for an ES 20 / 100 to sit alongside my 13, 8 and 6mm Ethos.

So far, I'm very impressed with the ES and I have around $500 to spend on other astro gear from the saving made over the Ethos 21mm.

The only drawback I've encountered with the ES is that I need the eye cup folded down to see the full FoV. Not really much of a hardship.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5835110 - 05/01/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it looks like a knock-off design for sure. If TV were Apple, the patent lawsuits would be flying.

Apple's last quarterly balance sheet shows a cash horde (current assets) in excess of $63 billion.

I doubt our home-grown eyepiece company has the kind of wherewithal to pursue a patent infringement case to it's logical conclusion.

I think TV learned a lesson when Meade cloned the original Naglers. The patent made it easy to copy and then Meade only had to make a small change to beat the patent.

I have to think there would be no ES 100 degree eyepieces had there not been Ethos eyepieces first. It does make me reluctant to purchase ES eyepieces.

Jon

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5835164 - 05/01/13 08:29 PM

TV has rare sales. ES has long running sales. ES20 may have come down in price since they have the ES25 now, and they may have paid for their tooling with all the sales, and they are producing at economy of sales.

Can't say prices will always be this low, since market is recovering. Sales don't have to last forever, and ending a sale is not a price increase (but rather just the end of a sale although your wallet sees the same effect).

Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5835232 - 05/01/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it looks like a knock-off design for sure. If TV were Apple, the patent lawsuits would be flying.

Nevertheless, TV has not been the first to come out with a 120* eyepiece - ES has. It's an excellent performer. Let's see if TV copies the ES design...
Clears,

Apple's last quarterly balance sheet shows a cash horde (current assets) in excess of $63 billion.

I doubt our home-grown eyepiece company has the kind of wherewithal to pursue a patent infringement case to it's logical conclusion.

I think TV learned a lesson when Meade cloned the original Naglers. The patent made it easy to copy and then Meade only had to make a small change to beat the patent.

I have to think there would be no ES 100 degree eyepieces had there not been Ethos eyepieces first. It does make me reluctant to purchase ES eyepieces.

Jon

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5835278 - 05/01/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

I agree. I have numerous questions about the origin of ES eyepieces, and wonder if there is a motivation, other than profit, as to the reasons they are priced so low.

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Evansville, IN
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5835388 - 05/01/13 11:00 PM

Quote:

They really are amazingly good eyepieces, just like Rolls-Royce, Mercedes and Bugatti are amazingly good cars...

The last few percent of performance - and the means taken to ensure that you get that performance in every sample - that is what drive prices up.

I think this sums up things nicely. The same is true for the APO refractor market. You can get very good refractors for amazingly good prices. Incremental changes in quality are costly. I think companies like TeleVue will always have a place in the market, as will more bargain related brands.

I, for one, am thrilled to have the options.

Steve S.

Teal'c
Indeed

Reged: 08/02/05

Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5835734 - 05/02/13 07:40 AM

I would love to be more supportive of televue but the simple fact is,...many can't afford them....and some others choose not to because the performance to price no longer makes sense? At this point in design and manufacturing, the placebo effect is starting to come into play for purchase decisions...the performance is so close between TV and others that many people can't tell the difference. Buy what ever you're happy with but to me, there is not a good reason to spend 3x the amount on a product that offers no advantage for me other than slightly better ER.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5835769 - 05/02/13 08:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think TeleVue eyepieces are $500 more expensive

Price of a 20MM 100 * ES: $299
Price of a 21MM Ethos: $895
Difference: $596

Price of a 30MM 82* ES: $250
Price of a 31MM Nagler T5: $695
Difference: $445

596+445=1041

1041/2= 520.50

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Illinois]
      #5835791 - 05/02/13 08:31 AM

There are no Ethos in my eyepiece cases. Guess why. But there are a couple 100 degree ES.

Mike

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5835852 - 05/02/13 09:22 AM

My EP case full of Televue EPs isn't going anywhere, not in my lifetime. It was all money well-spent. The rest of you suit yourselves.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5835917 - 05/02/13 10:00 AM

Chris, LOL! me too :-)

i bought and sold all the ES's. they're nice stuff, but for my time spent; the best.

Edited by MRNUTTY (05/02/13 10:06 AM)

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: GeneT]
      #5835942 - 05/02/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I have numerous questions about the origin of ES eyepieces, and wonder if there is a motivation, other than profit, as to the reasons they are priced so low.

Probably in LARGE part due to different supply chains. btw, everyone is in the business for PROFIT...so in that respect all are of the same nature and no vendor is more altruistic than another that's for sure!

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Québec, Canada
      #5835947 - 05/02/13 10:16 AM

Quote:

My EP case full of Televue EPs isn't going anywhere, not in my lifetime. It was all money well-spent. The rest of you suit yourselves.

same here, except that they are not TV but pentaxes.

if i had not purchased those i would have considered a couple of Delos EPs in the lower FL.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces [Re: FirstSight]
      #5835951 - 05/02/13 10:18 AM

Quote:

Now, I didn't say that I don't have any TeleVue eyepieces. I just don't have any Ethos. However, I did buy nearly all of my TV EPs used, not new.

Mike

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5835978 - 05/02/13 10:31 AM

I bought a lot used as well. Mostly the 1.25's, but the big 2" pieces I bought new at last years end of year sale.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5836029 - 05/02/13 11:02 AM

Quote:

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Cost of Televue Eyepieces new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5836076 - 05/02/13 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think TeleVue eyepieces are $500 more expensive

Price of a 20MM 100 * ES: $299
Price of a 21MM Ethos: $895
Difference: $596

Price of a 30MM 82* ES: $250
Price of a 31MM Nagler T5: $695
Difference: $445

Price of a 24MM 68* ES: $119
Price of a 24MM Panoptic: $330
Difference: $211

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6031

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics