Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
VectorRoll

Reged: 11/27/12

Re: Ring Nebula new [Re: Mentor]
      #5835608 - 05/02/13 02:42 AM

I tried again for it tonight, but the humidity kicked in and ruined everything. Just to foggy.

I did get my tube flocked today though. It worked great for what little time I had to view tonight.

Quote:

I have a sketch in my signature of how the Ring Nebula looks to me in my 4" scope from a firm red zone. Please don't judge me by my sup-par sketching abilities. I think this was my first ever attempt at sketching.

Nice Sketch by the way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Ring Nebula new [Re: VectorRoll]
      #5835838 - 05/02/13 09:11 AM

I like he sketches very much. I went and visited m57 again two nights ago with my 5" and that's essentially what I saw. It was a SUPERB night here april 30th into may 1.. Got to do some leasurely observing for the first time in months. Eventually got cold hands and tired but it was awesome., what I saw that night was the ring defined, but still not as opaque darkness on the inside as sometimes shown in photos.. Yesterday was reading in "the Messier objects" that the ring can affect reflections so that the inside is not so dark, and that's what I saw in a small,scope. Like your great sketch.

It's interesting I have a background in art but am not compelled to try sketching.. It's probably an incredible tool for teasing out detail.. It's just the nature of what happens looking at an object to draw it.

Mentor
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Ring Nebula [Re: lamplight]
      #5835999 - 05/02/13 10:48 AM

Yeah, I have not seen the ring defined with a dark centre. I am not sure what the undelying physical or physiological reason for this is, but it always appears to me as a disk with a brighter edge and a not-quite hollow centre. I wonder if darker skies or larger aperture would make more of a difference in seeing a black centre in the ring. I have on occasion seen the ring to have variation in brightness and an oblong shape, but on the night I made that sketch I did not discern either to a notable degree. The transparency was likely poor at the time.

I sketch because it forces me to spend my time observing an object. I often stumble on interesting double stars or asterisms in the field that I would not have noticed if I just viewed and moved on. I spend on average 1 hour on a sketch, and evaluate at multiple magnifications before selecting the one that provide the optimal view. I figure that for many of the objects that I find I may never look at them again, so better to linger while I am there and get to know them well.

amillego

Reged: 12/14/10

Loc: Southeast MI USA
Re: Ring Nebula new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5836153 - 05/02/13 12:06 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

I shot this with my 9.25.

Edited by amillego (05/02/13 12:08 PM)

VectorRoll

Reged: 11/27/12

Re: Ring Nebula new [Re: amillego]
      #5836194 - 05/02/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

I shot this with my 9.25.

I can not seem to view your picture for some reason.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 919

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics