Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
Tyranthrax
sage

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa
      #5838092 - 05/03/13 10:59 AM

Ran out of room on the title. I was reading through an old forum post because I would like to get a better camera. and was not sure of the two to get. so I'm looking at meade deep sky imager vers Orion StarShoot Deep Space Video Camera II.

I see from the old post http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1050739/page... that they seem to be pretty close, though I have to admit I got lost with all the acronyms. . .by the end of the article I had no idea what one they were talking about.

From what I gather they are both similar, one being a video camera the other is more of a camera. I enjoy the video aspect and stacking photos then letting my wife use her Photo shop talents.

I was experimenting with a webcam, and it got to the point in which it started failing with kinda mediocre results. Once I tried to get it to work in the Barlow minus the eyepiece it didn't work at all, I had a lot of trouble getting decent images using the eyepiece, then I modified it and it as some posts said, and it just went to a snowball after that. So as frustration with degrading images rose my wife suggested I just get a darn camera. I agree, no reason to spend 1k on a telescope and accessories to go cheap on the camera, problem is I don't have a ton of cash lying around and have trouble justifying a $1600 camera withe current state of the economic situation. Going into this moderately priced with something that will work, I am turning to the community here to see what opinions are before I order one or the other.

I just would like to get decent shots I can work with and not break the bank. . .yet. I prefer the video recording, but I trust the advice of most of the community here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tyranthrax
sage

Re: meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa new [Re: Tyranthrax]
      #5838367 - 05/03/13 01:09 PM

well I bought the orion one. I erad and reread over the post I linked and I wrote pros and cons of each and went withteh orion one, ease of use, the video side of it, and the other cam seemed to take longer to do the same thing. it seemed very close in the two as far as difference I think the final touches will eb up to the editing abilities of myself.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

#5839748 - 05/04/13 09:09 AM

Hi,

Both Meade Deep Sky Imager (DSI) and Orion StarShoot Deep Space (Color) Imagers (SS DSCI) are astro CCD imagers. They are not "video" cameras. There are several versions of them (newer versions use larger CCD sensor.) There are color version as well as monochrome version. Meade ones do not have active cooling but has a little bit mature software. Orion ones have active cooling.

These are all ancient and discontinued. There are plenty discussions in the CN Archive sections you just have to dig them out.
BTW, when these show up in the classified section, check the specific model and the price to make decision. It is not like there are plenty of them (different models) all sitting there waiting for you to make the selection. (Of course, overpriced ones will stay on the list for a long, long time. Remember that they are old. Hint, hint.)

P.S. this type of questions should go to Beginning Imaging subforum to get a better response.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5845991 - 05/07/13 03:55 PM

I was refering to the new versions, the latest generations. That's why i was having trouble. I saw old reviews and am hoping that they were close enough to performance that there would be little quirks but more of a brand preferance.

jchaller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/29/08

Loc: Tenino, WA.
      #5846043 - 05/07/13 04:37 PM

If video is something you're interested in, you should check out the: Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy Forum. While you won't get the same quality images as you would with a dedicated CCD camera, you can do video and capture/extract/stack images with video cameras. You get the live view aspect and you're wife can see what more she can get out your captures with PS.

I use a cheap security cam for video and have played around with stacking. Following link is screen captures from my video camera.

https://sites.google.com/site/cloudybluesphere/astronomy/gallery/dso-s

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa new [Re: jchaller]
      #5852776 - 05/10/13 09:33 PM

You can start out with an SDC435 or SB2000 security camera if you're short on cash. They work great. Or, a Mallincam Hyper Plus shows up on AM from time to time for around 6-700 bucks. Finally, the newer mallincams show up for about the price point you're saying for a CCD.

Tyranthrax
sage

#5855598 - 05/12/13 02:22 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

camera, I've never posted an image below, but I was pretty happy with it, I am sure years from now I will look back and say OMG I was so amateur, this is my 3rd picture I have taken and my first with the new camera, I am still very new at registax. Over all how was it? It is far better than using the webcam I bought and modified.

Tyranthrax
sage

#5855602 - 05/12/13 02:24 PM

bah it cut off the first part of my post this is my first image with the new camera, I got the Orion Star Shoot Deep space Imager II. It showed up in the mail and then it rained for a week

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5856054 - 05/12/13 06:26 PM

Nice capture.
Your astroCCD imager is Orion StarShoot Deep Space Color Imager II, a.k.a. SS DSCI-II, (not a video cam.)

If you capture many frames then use Registax to stack them, "freeze the seeing" effect will be more pronounced.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5856336 - 05/12/13 09:01 PM

ohhh I gotcha, So I didn't do too bad for my 3rd picture?

ccs_hello
Postmaster

#5856376 - 05/12/13 09:24 PM

Your pic is very, very nice. The seeing much be very good or your are extremely lucky. Planetary imaging is lucky imaging (help by Registax) and you have not even tried that .

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Raginar
Postmaster

#5856377 - 05/12/13 09:25 PM

Don't let others tell you if you did a good or bad job. It's all techniques and finding the ones that work good for you.

That's a good Saturn to me.

Tyranthrax
sage

Re: meade deep sky imager vrs Orion StarShoot Deep Spa new [Re: Raginar]
      #5857546 - 05/13/13 01:31 PM

I used registax, I Live in northern nevada outside of town, its pretty dark, not as dark as I like, but Its pretty clear most nights, I just have more trouble fighitng heat and dust in the air.

Not saying I am dependant on other people's opinons, but it helps to know if you are in teh right direction or way off inleft field. my webcam pics are bad compaired to the better cam. Biggest tip to people I woudl sya is don't go cheep you will be disapointed. go for quality.

Raginar
Postmaster

#5858495 - 05/13/13 08:30 PM

For a camera not designed for planetary imaging, you're winning.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1159

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics