Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: tim53]
      #6005382 - 08/03/13 08:55 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Steve mm and da bear tearing into the Tinsley's guts:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

#6005391 - 08/03/13 09:04 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Assembled!

tim53
Postmaster

#6005538 - 08/03/13 10:42 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I think we're in for a good night of observing!

tim53
Postmaster

#6005543 - 08/03/13 10:44 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Other 180:

kauzuak

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Burleson, TX
      #6005624 - 08/03/13 11:55 PM

I've always loved the look of those rigs. The porportions of the mount relative to OTA suggest a proper mechanical/structural engineer was involved in its development. But hey, I'll just leave it at it looks cool. Wish I lived closer so that I could look through it and all of the the cool scopes that I'm sure are there. I would have to guess there are a lot of others, including long time lurkers like me, who get ther classic scope fix vicariously from CN threads like this. Many thanks, please keep,it up!

tim53
Postmaster

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: kauzuak]
      #6005907 - 08/04/13 06:52 AM

It was a good night. Seeing was pretty good on Saturn. And by the time it got dark all the high clouds had cleared out. It was warmer than last night, and it stayed calm the whole time. A couple guys did some imaging. I moved the mirror forward in my Springfield so I could use my 2" eyepieces and got awesome views of DSOs with my 40mm swan and 14mm ES 100.

Time to sleep.

Dan /schechter
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/06

Loc: Long Beach, Calif.
      #6006298 - 08/04/13 05:12 PM

A great time was had by all. Clint`s 6" "Unipons performed as expected, Great. Steve`s Tinsley was awesome on Saturn. It gave a stunning view at 330x. He still has a few kinks to iron out, but I`m sure that scope will be a keeper when Steve has it dialed in. Tim`s Tak and his homemade Springfield did great. The wide field view with his 40mm Swan was amazing. It is so much fun to have the eyepiece remain stationary while everything else revolves around you. Lee brought several scope, but once he and Steve got his C11 collimated, it rocked.

I`m pooped and I still have to unpack.

Thanks to everyone for making this years CSPAMP another winner.
Dan

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Dan /schechter]
      #6006698 - 08/04/13 09:48 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

WOW! What a great weekend. I am really tired, but thought I would post a few thoughts. I have some pictures, but the best will probably come from Clint and Lew who took some great ones.

Due to limited time and and aching back, I only brought up 2 scopes this year (usually I have as trailer full). A 70mm Celestron Flourite and the Tinsley 8". I received a call from Larry Webster at Mt. Wilson on the Wed before the event that he had a pier mount for my Tinsley 8. So, I drove up to get it and was darn happy to have it for this weekend. Thank you Larry!

Lee, Janice, Ryan, and a few others came up to the 8300 ft elevation parking lot on Thursday. The story was that they caught the biggest fish ever and no similar fish would ever be caught. In other words, the viewing was awesome on Thursday

On Friday, myself, Clint, Debbie, Lew, Carla,Dan, Tim, Jon/Josh, Danny, and about 30-40 others arrived on scene. The skies were 100% cloudy at dusk. By nightfall, the zenith was clear and some observing was done although the conditions were not that great. The temperature also fell from about 75 at 5pm to the upper 40's. For me, the best part of night 1 is always seeing everyone and their scopes. The parking lot was littered with all kinds of telescopes from the 1800's to present. In addition to my Tinsley 8 and 70mm Flourite, we had a 6" Unitron, 6" Cave, 8" Springfield mounted Newt, Tak E130 on 1980's EM-1, 3" Zeiss, (2) 3" Clarks, a 4" Clark on a #6 mount (Saturday), a bunch of small refractors, Lew's 8" 1950's Murray Scope, and a bunch Meades, Dobs, Celestrons, and more.

Attached is a picture of Tim's 8" Springfield.....

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #6006708 - 08/04/13 09:54 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

And Today...sans Tim

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#6006739 - 08/04/13 10:06 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Saturday started as usual with everyone getting up late I had spent the past few weeks getting my Tinsley 8" optically ready. Unfortunately, I had only cleaned the mount, but had not re-built it. The prior night the old grease froze up even though the outside temp was only about 50 at the time. So, I headed down the mountain to the hardware store and bought lithium grease, steel wool, goo gone, and other supplies. I already had a bunch of tools. To make a long story very short, we spent a majority of the day under the canopy shade rebuilding the RA axis for the T8 and the Celestron mount for Clint's son Jake. Usually when I dive into a project I just have my own ideas. It was really fun having everyone help out. When the mount wad done, the RA axis was smooth as butter and the motor drive worked well. I will leave it for another thread, but the 6V motor of the Tinsley was not actually made to run at 6V, so the drive was a challenge to use. I will build a better drive corrector in the future.

The temps were warmer on Saturday with a high near 80. Cirrus clouds covered portions of the sky throughout the day. Clint and Jake provided the entertainment in the late afternoon with some fun guitar and banjo playing. As the evening approached, the skies got better and better....

Tinsley after mount rebuild....

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#6006755 - 08/04/13 10:21 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Saturday night was one of those really RARE nights. On the Steve seeing scale it was a 9.5 only topped by the Florida Keys in Feb 2005. On the Pickering Scale it was probably an 8.5 or so. The object du jour is always either Saturn or Jupiter. So, about 30 minutes after sunset, everyone is looking for Saturn in the bright twilight. Once spotted, I tuned my T8 to Saturn. Hmmm, this is going to be good....

As darkness set in, I pumped up the power on my T8 and declared that it was the best view of Saturn ever. We then all started looking through each others scopes and I found Dan's 6" Ap had the best image ever of Saturn, then Clint's 6" UniPons, then Tim's 8" Newt, then Lewis' 4" Clark....and so on. Every scope was performing like never before. For planetary viewing, there is nothing like great seeing and a properly collimated scope. In 2005 in the Florida Keys I had no 10" scope up over 1000x. My one and only planetary image of my life was that night. I think it clearly shows what great seeing means.

Pic of Saturn (more scopes to come....) With the rings flipped to the 2013 view, this is about what we saw in our scopes on Saturday night at 200-450x.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#6006767 - 08/04/13 10:33 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Dan's 3" PawnStars Zeiss. This scope is another amazing performer. After viewing with it on Saturday night, I will continue to stick with my view that the old Zeiss and Clark scopes perform as well or better than today's scopes. The mounts and tripods are also 100% usable.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#6006778 - 08/04/13 10:44 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Saturday night was running from scope to scope checking out many different objects, tweaking collimation on others, and verifying once again that Takahashi mounts are to die for as Tim's EM-1/Epsilon 130 combo held M31/32/100 perfectly for what seemed like 6 hours with no tracking adjustments. Clint and Debbie's Unipons 6" with binoviewer was stunning, hopefully Ryan acquired some good images to post, Lee and Janice hung out with their 11" SCT, Lewis' 4" Clark is just so beautiful, Dan bounced around his 6 scopes, Tim hung out with his Springfield and Taks, Jeff with the Big Gun 18", and many others I am missing. Somehow the facebook post by Clint got shared and re-shared and re-shared and re-shared and we had what seemed like bus loads of people coming up to view through our scopes. The white lights were numerous from 9pm-11pm, but we really do love showing people the skies so a moment of bright light was overcome by a lifetime view for many people.

The night ended with an amazing view of Neptune through Jeff's 18" ServoCat Dob. I have seen Neptune many times and it is always ho hmm...next. But, this night Neptune was spectacular and Triton just jumped out of the eyepiece.

Here is the 4" Clark...

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#6006780 - 08/04/13 10:45 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

All of my images are with an IPhone 4. Hopefully others post their much better pix even if duplicates of these.

Last pic is where Tim and I had dinner...Caveman Pizza!

Thank you Caveman Clint for coordinating everything again. I think everyone had a great time!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6006920 - 08/05/13 01:04 AM

I am so sorry I missed it. I did not have the heart to come up after my dog Reef passed away, peacefully, Friday afternoon. He had an amazing life and was loved by all who met him. While he was completely blind the last few years of his life he continued to be an inspiration, and he made many trips up to Mt. Pinos and truly loved it up there.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6006924 - 08/05/13 01:12 AM

Johnny,

So sorry to hear about Reef. I was looking forward to seeing him. I knew something big came up when we did not see you up there. Take care and enjoy your memories of Reef.

Steve

Dan /schechter
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6006934 - 08/05/13 01:23 AM

Hi Johnny,
So sorry to hear about Reef. He sure was an amazing dog. I couldn`t ell he was blind until you told me.
Hopefully we get up to Mt. Pinos one more time in September and I`ll see you then.
Take care,
Dan

Dan /schechter
scholastic sledgehammer

#6006936 - 08/05/13 01:27 AM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting your description and pictures. That picture of Saturn is beautiful and could have come from your Tinsley.
I knew you and Tim went down the mountain to Caveman`s Pizza.
I noticed you did not bring any back. It must have been delicious.
Cheers,
Dan

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CSPAMP VI 2nd 3rd and 4th OF AUGUST. new [Re: Dan /schechter]
      #6006957 - 08/05/13 01:58 AM

Quote:

Hi Steve,

I knew you and Tim went down the mountain to Caveman`s Pizza.
I noticed you did not bring any back. It must have been delicious.
Cheers,
Dan

Dan, we brought back a bunch. Talk to Lew I think one slice even went to waste.

clintwhitman
Caveman

Reged: 01/01/07

Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt
      #6006996 - 08/05/13 03:09 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

I am back home unloaded and rested a bit.
All I have to say about last night is thank you mother nature for what was one of the best all around seeing nights ever. Man to have these friends & telescopes of this caliber all show up to CSPAMP VI, and then to have the heavens open the gates for everyone to see was in one word amazing! CSPAMP VI was one for the history books.
Having slammed the mount, Drive and tripod for the Unipons together in the past week or two I was nervous that she would have the usual bugs. In fact the only one was the speed on the drive controller was two fast while running on 12 volt converter mode and then last night I set it to 5140 and it tracked perfect! Go Figure..
Lewis Chilton & Clint Whitman with the Unipons 2013

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4294

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics