Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
Saturn May 4
      #5839898 - 05/04/13 11:03 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

Saturn last night at Bethany Observing Station (CT), with the 10" Clark refractor. Seeing was good though not excellent, I could use up to to 420x. NEB's southern edge appeared remarkably "undulated".

Ivano

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Saturn May 4 new [Re: idp]
      #5839959 - 05/04/13 11:46 AM

Ivano,

You've got the hexagon - well not the facets - but the cap itself and concentric banding with it. I'm impressed! I want to say Im stupified you saw this in Connecticut but that'd be winter seeing syndrome making me think that, alas the warmer months.

The bump in the belt is compelling. I've missed Saturn with my 8" for quite a time during the several years I used my 70mm refractor - including the white spot storm. Prior though seeing any detail on Saturns globe with my 8" was a relative rarity. Interesting as heck when it happens but so long in the coming. You've scored here however and its an impressive account.

When you get your ten inch f/7 out more Im truly curious to see which instrument proves better. You mention the refractor has some SA if I recall. It'd be interesting to see which pulls ahead based on merits and such.

You got the hex cap defined!!! This is very cool. I think the angles are probably needing of aperture in the higher teens, but what you recorded is superb. Lol - vicariously gratifying.

I'm hoping to have my 8" operational this month. Probably use the 70mm till then. Heck maybe tonight afterwork... Midnightish.

Great stuff!

Pete

idp
sage

Reged: 08/21/09

Loc: New Haven, CT
Re: Saturn May 4 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5840226 - 05/04/13 02:39 PM

Quote:

Ivano,

You've got the hexagon - well not the facets - but the cap itself and concentric banding with it.

Uhm, Ah dunno. I Didn't think about it. But I've often seen Saturn's poles so dark that they seemed to blend into the background sky - which admittedly, was seldom black... What I sketched looks pretty much like what I saw, don't know if it really portrays the "hexagon"

As for Connecticut weather and seeing, when the jet stream is not right up there it's not too bad I think. Clear skies did forecast decent seeing for yesterday after 11pm, and good after midnight - 1am. That was accurate.

Regards,

Ivano

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5840490 - 05/04/13 05:37 PM

I wonder if Saturns gotten more active in the last 4-5 years. We had that immense white storm a few years back, there's been irregular edges and such too in that time. I wonder if its gotten any more active aside from the spot or is it the luck of the draw?

The added light contrast on the a rings interior edge is one of my fav features - this truly sets of Cassinis so well. Not everyone captures it in medium apertures but its nice when it shows. I'd be curious if my 6" sct could show it. Its a shut out for the 70mm of course.

Again great work!

Pete

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5841238 - 05/05/13 08:01 AM

Ivano, a beautiful sketch of Saturn, thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5861966 - 05/15/13 11:43 AM

Ivano,

Very nice sketch you recorded a lot of detail.

Best,

Eric Jamison

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 524

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics