Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
New Denk II BV - Prisims different?
      #5839942 - 05/04/13 11:36 AM

I saw another post from someone who had taken pictures through the back of the BV with no eyepieces in them. He was trying to determine if they where aligned properly and if there was any difference in sharpness between them. Mostly to me the images he shot looked like they where the same in brightness and sharpness.

So, having just bought a pair I decided to check mine to see if there was any difference between the to prisms. Looking at the image with just my right eye, I noticed there was a difference with them. One side was just a little brighter and more detail or contrast than the other.

Now here is where my concern is. My left eye sees just a little better than the right. When viewing faint fuzzies, my left eye sees a little deeper and has blacker background than my dominant right eye. For most viewing the right eye is fine, but when I really need to see fainter objects I switch to the left. I figured using a good BV with my good and great eye would be a good solution.

Now with the DenkII the side that apperas to be a tad brigheter is my left eye, which would be better if it was the right side. So what do you think, could these prisms be slightly defective, if so I still can return them.

I haven't really had a good chance to use them yet as the curse is upon me with cloudy skies since I bought them:(
Help!
Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
Re: New Denk II BV - Prisims different? new [Re: REC]
      #5839963 - 05/04/13 11:47 AM

Do not worry, human eyes are not perfectly same, in some people difference is less pronounced, in some more!
If you want test with your eyes bino transmittion and sharpness, bino must be well colimated, and you can do that only if you do quick change with ONE eye on left-right-left-right....sides, and then you can conclude if there is difference.
Denk II are great binos, but you will notice some small difference between left and right sides, in which you do not must worry, you have a GREAT bino, but not in same league with Zeiss or Binotron units!
To repeat:
you have a GREAT bino, do not worry about that, your brain will fix that, and enjoy using it!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: New Denk II BV - Prisims different? new [Re: denis0007dl]
      #5840106 - 05/04/13 01:15 PM

Thanks for those words of encouragement Denis:)

Bob

denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
      #5840111 - 05/04/13 01:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for those words of encouragement Denis:)

Bob

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5840158 - 05/04/13 01:53 PM

Try them upside down and see if your eyes notice a difference.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: New Denk II BV - Prisims different? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5843369 - 05/06/13 11:52 AM

As far as I've seen thus far, and based on the reports of others, it's common for BVs to exhibit some difference in transmission between the two sides. But unless this is *really* pronounced (and I (optimistically) doubt such a mismatched specimen would be foist upon the public), in actual use a difference might be sensed, but you will very quickly accommodate it. I'm sure a difference as large as even 30%--which is not likely to be found in astro BVs--would seem to disappear after a few minutes' use.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 409

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics