Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
mpesik

Reged: 09/24/12

HELP! Sharpest focus looks like its under water!
      #5840891 - 05/04/13 11:02 PM

Hello.
I purchased a Meade sct 14" over a year ago from a gentleman. The scope was in the house and not on the pod. It was also minus 32C outside. So after talking with him about his wonderful intamate experiences with the scope, how could I refuse. The fella was moving to Toronto and was very well off.
So I set it all up and I find I cannot come to a sharp focus....on anything. Looks a bit cloudy and when I focused on a mag wheel today and tilted the scope up or down abit the image distorted like in horizontal bars. It was blurry overall.
Damn!
I removed the eyepiece and looked down the tube and on the back side of the corrector lens it looked as if it had horizontal type of striation bars. About 13 in all. Nothing clear looking that direction.
When I look a bit adjacent in the front of the scope to the primary mirror, the reflection is crystal clear.
Hmmmm and why?
I checked out to see if I can notice that the correcting lens was ever removed. Why? To see if it was removed and replaced in a different orientation.
Nothing.
I am so saddened by this all.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Please.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mpesik

Re: HELP! Sharpest focus looks like its under water! new [Re: mpesik]
      #5840915 - 05/04/13 11:20 PM

Hello.
Can someone tell me when they remove the eyepiece and look down the tube,what do you see.
A proper image or something else.
I just focused on a light from a garage and all I can think of is Vaseline.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: HELP! Sharpest focus looks like its under water! new [Re: mpesik]
      #5840963 - 05/05/13 12:03 AM

I have not paid much attention to what my 8" would do without an ep, but I know I can't focus on close objects so I am not sure how far your light was but that could also be an issue. The range on the focus knob is huge, I have never counted the turns but it is big. When I go through my full range on daylight objects, there are places that I call a false focus. It looks like it is coming into focus and looks very similar to what you describe, but I continue it will focus just fine. I am not sure what cause the false focus, but I would suggest that you look at an object at least 50 yds away and go through the full focus range.

Hope this is the problem.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: HELP! Sharpest focus looks like its under water! new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5841754 - 05/05/13 02:10 PM

Could there be mold or mildew on the inside?

The only thing that comes to mind is to check collimation and make sure the OTA has cooled down. Also that you are not looking at objects over heat sources like roof tops. If all else fails there are a few options. 1) find someone local like maybe at your local dealer, who can check alignment and clean the OTA. If you can't find someone then you can 2) Send it to Meade for repairs. They'll put it up on an optical bench and check/adjust everything and send it back good as new.

Oh and 3) I believe Doc Clay still works on these? Maybe that would be a better idea.

Both options will cost you money not including shipping.

You could also, if you belong to a local club, take it out during their next star party, which should be next weekend, and have some people that have a lot of experience look through it and tell you what they think is going on with it. You may even find someone there that can fix it on the spot!

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (05/05/13 02:14 PM)

mpesik

Re: HELP! Sharpest focus looks like its under water! new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5851250 - 05/10/13 01:32 AM

After many many frustrations, I took the corrector out.
The secondary mirror had some weird haze on it.
I cleaned it along with the front back of the corrector and it looks new now.
I can focus on terrestrial objects no problem now.
I will just have to collimate it to make it perfect.
That would be on an evening that I don't pas out before 10pm.
Anyway, I've read and read about cleaning the front of the collector and what I have achieved is so easy-messy- like new.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 620

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics