Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
tclehman1969
sage

Reged: 05/18/10

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Help Processing Images
      #5841100 - 05/05/13 02:47 AM

Good evening! So, had a chance to get the scope out, sadly, not the best of seeing conditions, but I'll take any opportunity I can!

Anyway, I'm kind of old school on astro photography and used to use film almost always exclusively piggyback pics with a 50mm prime lens. In those days I used to expose film for up to five or six minutes, rarely longer if ever.

I now own a DSLR and have seen most people stack their images typically of shorter length. I don't have any software as yet but I was wondering if someone would mind taking some images I just took last night and process them so I can see what a final result with MY data and equipment looks like. I took 15 x 20 sec images at prime focus of M13.

I also took some stills and video of Saturn, and if someone would mind running that through some magical software, I'd be delighted to see how that turns out too.

I'd just like to see if the images I can get now are good enough to allow for "prettying up" in software.

Thanks, y'all! If anyone is game to process, let me know and I can send files to you however is best to do so.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: tclehman1969]
      #5841452 - 05/05/13 11:10 AM

You can create a dropbox account and upload them to the public folder, then post the link and we can download.
https://www.dropbox.com/

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5841455 - 05/05/13 11:11 AM

I'm sure there are a number of us that would be delighted to try our hand at your data (particularly with the lack of any clear skies to capture our own images!). I use Mediafire to upload files and allow access to them, others use Dropbox, either one is good for uploading files to and allowing others access to them.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: rigel123]
      #5841514 - 05/05/13 11:49 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in that digital imaging is different from the ground up, and IMO far superior for many reasons. Most importantly it is a different process so when you get into the 'digital darkroom' you have what you need.

That is mainly two things aside from the actual data image. First thing is darks and or bias frames that measure and quantify the digital camera nois. These are (i think) algebraically added to subtract the 'in camera' electronic noise.

next are 'flats'. a flat frame is a shot of open sky or an illuminated screen that quantifies the optical path differences center to edge of the optic you use. They also get rid of artifacts caused by dirt and dust.

So digital imaging means not just taking the initial image but taking the additional 'calibration' images at the same temperature (or as close as possible) as the edata images.

There is a good/great explanation and a fantastic FREEWARE program here called Deep Sky Stacker that is widely used. I very highly recommend reading the "FAQ" and the "How to create better images" to understand the concepts and common terminology we all use.

There are some great books by Jerry Lodriguss that are highly recommended.

ebacon

Reged: 02/13/13

Loc: Rochester Hills, MI
Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5841522 - 05/05/13 11:56 AM

I'll take a stab at it. I am also new and have having fits with my data. I use a Sony camera and would like to try some from a different source.

Please let me know how to get the data.

Thanks

tclehman1969
sage

Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: ebacon]
      #5841735 - 05/05/13 01:54 PM

OK, here are 15 images I took of M13 the other night. Sadly I forgot to get darks, bias and flats. Didn't know about that part as yet as this is very new to me, the idea of stacking images. I am so used to single shot for X minutes and that's it! There is a little bit of trailing in the images, but not too much. New mount that I am still working out the kinks on polar aligning. The mount is fine, I just keep forgetting steps!

So, here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cganr8edwwvh8t2/pz4ypNXDDt

If it isn't worth going through the process without darks and flats and bias, let me know and next chance I get I'll try again but didn't get those this time.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5842613 - 05/05/13 10:38 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, would only take 14 of the 15 images.
All post-processing done in StarTools.

Edited by shawnhar (05/05/13 10:40 PM)

tclehman1969
sage

Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5842860 - 05/06/13 02:00 AM

Quote:

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, would only take 14 of the 15 images.
All post-processing done in StarTools.

WOW! Really? From my images? That's amazing! I really need to learn how to do that well. I'm on a Mac computer and the only sky software I know of that works on a Mac is Nebulosity.

I can't believe how well that turned out given the material I had. Incredible! Thanks for playing with that, it is tremendously appreciated!!

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5842995 - 05/06/13 06:52 AM

Nice work Shawn! You really made that one pop.

That is very encouraging. tclehman you chose a great subject for a starter.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5843092 - 05/06/13 08:40 AM

StarTools works on a Mac your'e just stuck with 32 bit.
http://startools.org/drupal/node/28
I pushed the image a tad to far, if you look close you can see the artifacting from over sharpening. As Jim said, I was trying to make it really pop.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5843182 - 05/06/13 10:02 AM

Shawn,

Excellent processing on that data! I haven't seven seen the raw data yet, but wow, that's a really good cluster! Very well resolved. That's some great acquisition TC!

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Help Processing Images new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5843248 - 05/06/13 10:50 AM

If you have a Google Plus account, there is a great group called #astrophotography. We've been doing 'data of the week' processing challenges. And, there are some very dedicated individuals in there that give some great advice.

Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 323

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics