Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: James Ling]
      #5810077 - 04/20/13 04:43 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Last Monday night, we really have a wonderful session, and tonight , we have another astro talk and night observation session at one of our reserve army club...
As for the latest update, the seats for tonight's astro talk already being signed up....and with 3 more hours to go, the weather is still a blazing hot day ..... so tonight should be another successful event....

REgards

James Ling

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5810673 - 04/20/13 11:44 AM

James, Congratulations for the wonderful things that you and Gary are doing. Opening the sky for so many people, in such a challenging environment, are tremendous examples for the rest of us.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5811692 - 04/20/13 08:23 PM

Hi Jim...

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.....

We started only doing side walk, and then Gary is able to get the local library to allow us to promote astronomy through monthly talk, and now another venue, which is one of the clubs for national reserve personnel like myself....

Hi ALL....

Although last night weather turns horrible during the viewing session, but the public still manage to get some views of the moon and Saturn when visibility is possible...

I even have a friend who calls me up whether to come down, since the weather is bad...And I told him to wait until near to midnight, and surprisingly, by that time, when Saturn is high up, is shinning bright, and he and a few of those who stayed behind are able to view the giant gas planet at 450X.....

And last night started off with a very good turn out for the astro talk...
And many of our local astronomy club members also came and support this planned event...

Most of them, I only knew through their names in the local astronomy forum, but is my first time I met them....And they are younger than when I started off 15 years ago...

Once I have those photos for last night event sent from my astro friends, I will posted it here..., as I usually spent all the time manning my own telescope. for the whole duration....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5831483 - 04/30/13 01:47 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi All...

Following are the highlights on the astro talk and night gazing, done two weekends ago at one of our club house....

And the photos are from one of our astro member, Yuan Huan....

1. This is the first time Gary conducted numerous astro talk, not only the seats are fully occupied, some late comers need to stand and listen to his interesting and participative presentation...

continue...

James Ling
sage

#5831512 - 04/30/13 02:37 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

2. While the talk is on-going, a few of us , who brought along our telescopes , quickly setup for the public, at a nearby big court, the size of two basketball court....
You can see the queue of people from the middle of the basketball court, all the way to the building door way....in this photo...

continue....

Edited by James Ling (04/30/13 09:59 PM)

James Ling
sage

#5831513 - 04/30/13 02:40 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

3. This is another shot taken by another astro member, Guang Wei....showing kid can just use the ladder to see through the C14.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831516 - 04/30/13 02:43 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

4. This is another group of astro members setting up the C6R F5 ...... And surprisingly, the moon through the ep is very sharp and crisp , although can see the CA.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831517 - 04/30/13 02:48 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

5. This photo shows the young man and his kid looking through the ep of my astro friend Alfred's 5" triplet, at the moon...
And he is the one that I am using his roof top observatory for those recent scopes shootout.....

continue...

Edited by James Ling (04/30/13 09:58 PM)

James Ling
sage

#5831519 - 04/30/13 02:51 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

6. And over another corner, another non tracking scope is also setup for the public to view at Saturn..., which is very low .....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831592 - 04/30/13 05:24 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

7. This is another photo showing the two kids at the scope....
and is pointing at Saturn.....

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5831595 - 04/30/13 05:32 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

8. This one showing me explaining and showing the small little girl to get her eye into the ep onto the planet Saturn...and I think the man behind is his father...

continue.....

James Ling
sage

#5831612 - 04/30/13 05:57 AM

Although the weather for this side walk is very bad, and heavy clouds covered the whole sky.....

We still manage to do some visual on both the moon and Saturn.....

The crowd attendance is much higher than the last few side walk we did at the local library....
But as this is within a club compound, the event only last until around 10.30pm....and the public went back...

But a few of us stay until 12midnight, just to get the best view from Saturn, and again my, astro friend Gary's 10" dob gives a very nice view that even rivals my C14......

As this event come to an end....
Another one , which is just 2 weeks away, we will have another astro talk and side walk event at the local library again.......

Regards

James Ling

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5832839 - 04/30/13 05:35 PM

Its nice that you are doing outreach. We need more astronomers with your motivation.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5833341 - 04/30/13 10:26 PM

Hi Ray.....

Thanks for your comments....
And I am sure my friend Gary and the team will continue to promote side walk astronomy in our small country and light polluted city....

And I really envy both you and Jim , which have big 18" teeter dob...., which is also my dream to acquire similar aperture in the near future, but perhaps can only go for smaller aperture, coz of transportation issue.....

Regards

James Ling

Classic8
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/12/06

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
      #5834484 - 05/01/13 01:59 PM

Yep, nice of you to get your scopes out for people, they probably don't even notice the sky otherwise, with that much light pollution. And they don't know what they're missing.

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore [Re: Classic8]
      #5841372 - 05/05/13 09:57 AM

Hi George.

You are right...many people thought that in such a heavily light polluted city, whereby they could hardly notice stars in the night sky, yet when we can show them the planets, they are very surprised...

And after we have been there for more than 2 years, there are still people who don't believe our equipments are able to see these objects that they only seen in TV and books or magazines....

And I am looking forward another side walk in one week....time....

Regards

James Ling

bluesteel
sage

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: ILM
      #5854389 - 05/11/13 09:03 PM

James,
You are doing a fantastic service to the human race! I applaud you for sharing the views of the cosmos, and wish you luck on your future viewings!

James Ling
sage

Re: 2013 Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: bluesteel]
      #5856742 - 05/13/13 01:23 AM

Hi Bro...

Thanks for you comments...

Our next monthly astro talk and side walk will be next week, 20th Monday...and hopefully the weather will not be affecting this event....

And as I am quite busy now with some house renovation works, I may only either just attend to support my astro friends, or bring a small scope , like the 152 APM ED APO, instead of the C14....on this coming 20th planned event..

REgards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

#5877499 - 05/22/13 08:13 AM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi ALL....

1.This is an update on our last Monday night astro talk and side walk event held at the local Library and the open area......

2. Surprisingly, after a terrible morning thunderstorm, the sky starts to clear up, and the evening sky is great for another night event....

3. I reached the place around 7pm, and started to do my equipment setup while waiting for the astro talk to finish....

4. Everything is as usual, as I did so many times, and this time I brought along my 152 APM ED APO....
And when the talk is over, I power up my losmandy G11 G2, then I realized something is wrong with my controller.....

5. Coz all my previous setting are gone, and the quick start menu is missing....

6. I redo the manual input data all over again....but the G2 couldn't slew to the object i used to do so previously.....It keep slewing round and round, while all the people queuing behind my scope are anxiously waiting to look at Saturn....through this 6" refractor....

7. I powered it down, and re-powered the controller, but all my previous input data is gone....and I need to do it all over again....
And when I know the Goto is not responding.....during my 2nd test.....OMG...

8. So as I am desperate to get the scope going, after I input the data the 3rd time, I manually move the scope to the moon for the finder alignment, then I move it to Saturn, and at 150X with the baader zoom, and at last I managed to let the long queue of people to look through the eye piece , the beautiful giant gas planet....

9. Below is a photo taken by my astro friend, Dave, while I am setting up the scope... and people watching me...

continue....

James Ling
sage

#5877506 - 05/22/13 08:17 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

10. This is another photo shot showing the queue to my APM ED APO...The actual queue is about 20M....

continue....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6875

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics