Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Before/After My Yard
      #5842067 - 05/05/13 05:21 PM

My neighbor and I had previously talked earlier in the week about how big or small a shield we would need. Here is the result.

After rubber banding cardboard around my neighbor's car port insecurity light.

unshroud by Messitom, on Flickr

You can still see the light through the shroud but it dosent effect my yard. next time I will use something thicker

shroud by Messitom, on Flickr

camera was at
Exposure 0.6
Aperture f/3.5
Focal Length 18 mm

ISO Speed 1600

Edited by MessiToM (05/07/13 12:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aquila1185

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Coatesville, PA
Re: Before/After My Yard new [Re: MessiToM]
      #5842563 - 05/05/13 10:07 PM

I like that, "insecurity light." You look like you have an otherwise dark sky, which is good; I'm assuming people don't just walk by and steal things.

I don't see what you did, though. I see the light is a little dimmer, but what did you do with the cardboard? I'm sure it's in plain sight and I'm just missing it...

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Before/After My Yard new [Re: Aquila1185]
      #5845435 - 05/07/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

I like that, "insecurity light." You look like you have an otherwise dark sky, which is good; I'm assuming people don't just walk by and steal things.

I don't see what you did, though. I see the light is a little dimmer, but what did you do with the cardboard? I'm sure it's in plain sight and I'm just missing it...

No you cant see it. you are correct. I cut a 5"x10" rectangle out of cardboard and used a big rubber band to temporarily hold it in place. In person the light was mostly "blacked" out towards my point of view. For some reason in the pic the light just looks dimmer.

hill5673

Reged: 11/20/11

Loc: NY
Re: Before/After My Yard new [Re: MessiToM]
      #5979157 - 07/19/13 04:38 AM

Do they really leave that on all night? Wouldn't a motion light be more appropriate?

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Before/After My Yard new [Re: hill5673]
      #5982391 - 07/21/13 03:00 AM

Quote:

Do they really leave that on all night? Wouldn't a motion light be more appropriate?

That's exactly how my neighbors are. They have these huge floodlights that light up their backyard, and part of ours. Thankfully, we have a block wall that keeps back most of the light, but it's not quite high enough. I observe back there and the garage has one of those bright white doors, and the light creeps over the wall right onto that door, and it's very bothersome, trying to avoid approaching them and puttting up something to block it. Light is everywhere!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 924

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics