Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Trouble with Galaxy color? new
      #5842322 - 05/05/13 07:48 PM

Friday night was a great night for photography here, and I choose M64 as my target of the night. I normally always do 300 second exposures, which has worked great in the past for all my galaxy shots. However this was by far the darkest, clearest conditions I've shot in, and I thought I would have some of the best pictures I've ever taken. I stack them in DSS, load into PI and begin processing, however I see an utter lack of color in the M64 Galaxy. My stars have color, however the galaxy almost looks over-exposed. Prior to processing the galaxy lacked detail, especially the "black eye" region, I assumed this would be brought out in processing, and the HD tools in PI did do a fairly good job of bringing it out. However it seems to lack color even at full (+10) saturation it still looks very white. I see in other pictures this galaxy does indeed have some nice reds in the center section, and my modded camera has never had a problem capturing faint reds in the past, but on M64 it just didn't come out. I did do a color calibration using the Galaxy method in PI, but it didn't seem to help. I'm wondering if I could have perhaps used too long of an exposure and maybe washed out the color, if that's even possible? Would I benefit from taking some more, shorter exposures, for coloration purposes? I was under the impression that sometimes star color gets washed out in longer exposures, but I didn't think it would happen on the galaxy core. I can go ahead and post my stacked and unprocessed TIFF if that would help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sean13
sage

Re: Trouble with Galaxy color? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5842535 - 05/05/13 09:46 PM

Think I just noticed my problem, I was no using "Per-channel color calibration" when stacking my images. Given the 2 options, it recommends using per-channel calibration if your resulting images look too grey, which is what I seem to be seeing. Going to re-stack it again using that setting and see what happens.

rob77
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: Belo Horizonte (Brazil) and Cu...
Re: Trouble with Galaxy color? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5843719 - 05/06/13 02:28 PM

Why don't you stack them in PI?

Sean13
sage

Re: Trouble with Galaxy color? new [Re: rob77]
      #5843760 - 05/06/13 02:46 PM

Far too complicated and confusing. DSS is so much simpler.

rob77
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: Belo Horizonte (Brazil) and Cu...
Re: Trouble with Galaxy color? [Re: Sean13]
      #5843765 - 05/06/13 02:48 PM

By the way I am not able to download your .tif...Can you post it elsewhere?

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 274

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics