Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Central Ct
dipped my foot.in the Q pool
      #5843893 - 05/06/13 04:10 PM

Sent payment for a early 80s duplex,pictures and owner description show it to be in great shape. Hopefully it will arrive in once piece ( well let's start with I am hopeful it will Arrive )
I sold off my scopes to pay for some college bills, so this will be my all round, travel,solar and planet scope.
Will post pics when it gets here.
Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMKarian

Reged: 03/18/13

Loc: Northwestern PA
Re: dipped my foot.in the Q pool new [Re: wormstar]
      #5844064 - 05/06/13 05:36 PM

Wormstar
I believe you will find the Duplex to be a wonderfully crafted instrument for both terrestrial and celestial usage. I'll attach it to my Gitzo Tripod with a QR plate, and watch a cardinal at a feeder - 70 feet away - and appreciate a glint of setting sunlight revealing details of the bird's iris/pupil. 3 hours later - Saturn - wonderfully resolved in crisp detail. The fit and finish of the scope is not only a treat from an observers visual point-of-view, but a gem from a mechanical and purely cosmetic and tactile sense. Oh what a contribution Lawrence Braymer has made.

Enjoy!

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Re: dipped my foot.in the Q pool new [Re: JMKarian]
      #5844131 - 05/06/13 06:17 PM

I will be pretty happy to get my hands on a keeper, I'm glad you mentioned birds, I used to use my tv85 all the time on my deck watching the birds.
Keith

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

#5852017 - 05/10/13 01:22 PM

My duplex arrived last night. I am quite pleased with its condition. It's in real nice shape. I was also pleased to see that it's in a leather case. It was listed as leather, but I was expecting vinyl. I am going to ship off for service, power glide ii upgrade, and am going to have the moon map added to the barrel(along with a new dew shield)
The original dew shield is loose and has a few marks, along with a scrape on the barrel. It's fairly cheap to have the barrel map replaced when it's getting serviced.
I will post some before and after pics.

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
      #5852033 - 05/10/13 01:28 PM

Great news - glad it arrived safely. Post pictures ASAP. Enjoy!

Roberto

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Re: dipped my foot.in the Q pool new [Re: R Botero]
      #5854142 - 05/11/13 05:12 PM

Well not much point in posting pics. I bought another later model duplex. I had a blast playing with the Q today and yesterday, but decided I wanted to spend the extra dollars to get a pristine example.
The new duplex should be here early next week. Was a lot more money, but has new broadband optics and it is cherry.

Edited by wormstar (05/11/13 07:06 PM)

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

#5854148 - 05/11/13 05:18 PM

I am a bit confused as what I need to use my canon EOS camera with a Q, I realize I need the eos specific ring, but does that connect directly to the camera coupler.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
      #5854184 - 05/11/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Well not much point in posting pics. I bought another later model duplex. I had a blast playing with the Q today and yesterday, but decided I wanted to spend the extra dollars to get a pristine example.
The new duplex should be here early next week. Was a lot more money, but has new broadband optics and it cherru.

Will you be parting company with the 1980s duplex ?

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Re: dipped my foot.in the Q pool new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5854274 - 05/11/13 07:05 PM

Yes, I listed it on another well known astro site.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5854868 - 05/12/13 05:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, I listed it on another well known astro site.

Can you provide a link or tell us which site ?
I've been looking for a 3.5" Questar as a travel scope. It would be a nice compliment to our Q7 LWT.
As many members follow the Questar Forum, have you considered posting it for sale here on Cloudy Nights ?
This is where I've made my major purchases for preowned equipment.

wormstar
Pooh-Bah

Re: dipped my foot.in the Q pool new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5854907 - 05/12/13 06:28 AM

Mike, I sent you a pm. I assumed it was poor taste to link to another site. It's on Astromart.
The duplex I am selling would make a good travel scope, as it is not a museam piece.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

#5855418 - 05/12/13 12:43 PM

Quote:

..... I am going to ship off for service, power glide ii upgrade, and am going to have the moon map added to the barrel(along with a new dew shield).....

Just read your PM and checked out the listing on CN (page 5 of Catadioptrics) that you mentioned. The add mentioned the Questar was missing the power cord. When I looked at your post here again, I noted that I misread it () as you were going to..... "ship it off for service of the powerguide", and not to "add" a powerguide unit.
I would like to purchase a Questar that already has the Powerguide feature. Adding a Powerguide II would incur more expense than I wish to undertake as a refit, also, a New Case would be required as the conversion would not fit in the original; but Thank You for the reply.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics