Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
My first Saturn - 4/30/13 new
      #5842874 - 05/06/13 02:30 AM

I took some photos and videos last week and it took me since then to figure out how to process it. I originally planned to use registax to stack RAWs because I had taken about 20 pretty nice 18MP stills at 1/60s and ISO3200. But I quickly learned that this software really doesn't like TIFF files (it crashes). The weather has been quite bad ever since, so thankfully I also took some video, which I was able to process with registax 6.1:

I'm quite pleased for a first effort although I feel it could be better. The video was taken at 1080p on my Canon T3i, using EP projection through a Baader Hyperion 8mm with the 14mm fine-tuning ring (so, 6mm EP focal lentgh). The scope is an Orion XT8g.

I converted to AVI using Quicktime Pro 7 on my Mac. I then transferred the video to my PC for processing in registax. I used about 500 frames from a 2200 frame video. Then transferred the still back to photoshop for some light noise reduction, final level editing, cropping, and conversion to jpg.

One thing I missed is that I wasn't using crop mode for the video. If I do that, will I get better resolution? Other than that, I'm not sure what I might try to improve next time. If you have suggestions, please share.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tapio
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/06

Loc: Tampere, Finland
Re: My first Saturn - 4/30/13 new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5842894 - 05/06/13 03:04 AM

That is really good and especially if it's first Saturn.

Some improvement;
- lower ISO to reduce noice.
get higher frame rate.
I just looked and it seems that T3i doesn't have actual crop video , just digital zoom which is not so good for planetary shooting.
See:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/Canon_One_To_One_Pixel_Resolut...

Traditionally it's more common to use barlows instead of eyepiece but if it works...

ohata0

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Re: My first Saturn - 4/30/13 new [Re: Tapio]
      #5842974 - 05/06/13 06:25 AM

wow, that's nice.

if you have a laptop, you can use EOS camera movie record (it's free) to record video with live view x5...it's not perfect 1:1 (for your camera), but it's close (as stated in the link above).

here's an example

stacked a few pics, cropped 100%. it's noisy because i had to max out my ISO to get a decent shutter speed for my *BLEEP* tripod.

used EOS camera movie record (live view x5) and took a few videos. used pipp to crop and center and extract frames from the video to bmp (my registax didn't like tiff files that much either), which i loaded into and stacked in registax. individual video frames pretty much looked like that first picture (except i didn't really get the best focus though for the video).

Stacking is a lot easier and quicker with video, and recording with live view x5 gives you about the same image size. it's pretty cool.

Coliwabl
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/01/05

Loc: Dallas, Oregon, USA
      #5843552 - 05/06/13 01:09 PM

Nicely done!

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: My first Saturn - 4/30/13 new [Re: Coliwabl]
      #5843639 - 05/06/13 01:42 PM

Thanks for the tips, and the compliments.

Here are two 1:1 crops of the best of the RAW 18MP stills I took, one at each of two different exposures. These are single-exposure, unprocessed photos, straight off the camera, cropped and converted to jpg. I'm quite proud of these and would love to find a way to try processing them (I have about 20 of these, but these two were the best). Any ideas? Maybe I could try making a video from the stills? Someone mentioned registax handles bmp better than tiff - should I convert them and try that first? Converting to video implies compression and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Edited by Jarrod (05/06/13 01:53 PM)

fco_star
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/10

Loc: Texas, Midland
      #5843658 - 05/06/13 01:52 PM

Hi, you may want to upload your data for the guys to start playing with it. You will see what others can do with it.
Your pictures are really good!

srosenfraz
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/11

Loc: United States
Re: My first Saturn - 4/30/13 [Re: fco_star]
      #5843899 - 05/06/13 04:13 PM

Very nice looking Saturn - good colors and some nice resolution as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 655

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics