Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5839509 - 05/04/13 03:21 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

For me, I really got into Mars Topo when I discovered the 3D surface modeling software VISTAPRO. Then, I no longer was interested in the topographic maps, because, I could see the topography first-hand in only a few moments of rendering:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: GDN]
      #5840135 - 05/04/13 01:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not for a while; we're still awaiting the final (actually first complete) map from the MESSENGER team. Then the fun starts.

Still hoping the approve my proposal for a crater name...

The Grad Students are working hard on finalizing the first-run images. Shouldn't be too long now.

A large bunch of proposals for crater names, I even submitted one, so that will take some time.

Now,... here's MY proposal to Sky & Telescope:

How about 4 rocky-planet globes, to size scale. Would make a great resource for classroom teaching. e.g. Mercury about 5 inches, Venus and Earth about 12 inches, and Mars about 7 inches. Run that past Bob.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

A great idea, but it would add to the cost of 3 different size tools. Much easier to use the same tool and molds, just new printing. Plus smaller globes implies less detail nd/or smaller print which is harder to read.

They may do it (perhaps both versions), but the smaller ones would likely cost more due to the unique toolingmolds, and most likely lower sales (many would prefer te larger easier to read versions).

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
      #5840239 - 05/04/13 02:44 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Quote:

There's a third edition? I was under the impression that the current Mars globe is the second edition (mainly because that's what the booklet that came with it said.)

Rick, the globe/booklet I just received says "Sky & Telescope's Mars Globe, 3rd Edition" on the front cover and also on the inside of the front cover. The copyright is 2011. I don't know what the differences are in appearance between this edition and the 2nd edition. My older globe looks completely different though in much lighter sepia tones and less photographic. I'll eventually take a pic of the older one.
Here's a pic of both the old Mars globe and old Moon globe in the observatory (I just ordered the new photographic Moon globe also)...

Quote:

For me, I really got into Mars Topo when I discovered the 3D surface modeling software VISTAPRO. Then, I no longer was interested in the topographic maps, because, I could see the topography first-hand in only a few moments of rendering:

David -- Looks like you're really there! VistaPro looks like a fun terrain generator with atmosphere effects...I may look into that one.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5841056 - 05/05/13 01:57 AM

Well, I guess S&T doesn't keep me apprised of these things, go figure! I sort of liked the coloration of the first edition better.

First thing Monday morning, I'm calling S&T and if it's possible to order (or pre-order) the Mars Topo globe, I'm plunking my hard-earned shekels on the spot!

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
      #5841604 - 05/05/13 12:43 PM

http://marspans.com/

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5842014 - 05/05/13 04:49 PM

Fun items at both marspans and moonpans! The lunar wrap-around wall papers are enticing. Wish they had Mars vistas wall papers (vinyl for the observatory).

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5842029 - 05/05/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess S&T doesn't keep me apprised of these things, go figure! I sort of liked the coloration of the first edition better.

First thing Monday morning, I'm calling S&T and if it's possible to order (or pre-order) the Mars Topo globe, I'm plunking my hard-earned shekels on the spot!

One thing the earlier Mars globe in the lighter tones has going for it is the features are easier to distinguish. I also like the sort of antique-globe look it has...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet.

I checked the S&T shop website again, but no mention yet of the Mars Topo globe...I'd have my order or pre-order in right now, too, if it was possible!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5842762 - 05/06/13 12:31 AM

Quote:

...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet.

Maya,

That's a little bone I have to pick: I've looked at Mars for many, many hours over the years, and the color of the globe is *NOT* the same as the color of the planet. I realize it matches the colors on the adjusted rover images that are released by NASA; but it doesn't really look like that. I'd like a globe that actually looks like Mars. (I'm not crying "conspiracy" here, just stating a fact. I sort of think they're not color-adjusting those images properly.)

PS: Nice observatory warm room. But I don't see a National Geographic Mars map on the wall! It's not a proper observatory without one of those. (The 1973 one.)

Edited by Rick Woods (05/06/13 12:34 AM)

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
      #5843267 - 05/06/13 11:00 AM

the photographic Mars globe was produced before my time at S&T. I agree, it's much more yellow/orange than the brown depicted.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: swalker]
      #5843323 - 05/06/13 11:26 AM

Yeah; the real planet has a much mellower coloring than the globe. Eh! Maybe in the 4th edition?

The Topo globe isn't available yet, as of this morning.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5843576 - 05/06/13 01:19 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

...but I love the way the new Mars globe looks more like the actual planet.

Maya,

That's a little bone I have to pick: I've looked at Mars for many, many hours over the years, and the color of the globe is *NOT* the same as the color of the planet. I realize it matches the colors on the adjusted rover images that are released by NASA; but it doesn't really look like that. I'd like a globe that actually looks like Mars. (I'm not crying "conspiracy" here, just stating a fact. I sort of think they're not color-adjusting those images properly.)

PS: Nice observatory warm room. But I don't see a National Geographic Mars map on the wall! It's not a proper observatory without one of those. (The 1973 one.)

Rick, I haven't had that many good opportunities over the years to observe Mars. The last one when I was able to get some chances to sketch it was in 1988 (lived in NC at that time) when Mars was 23.68" dia. and I was using a Meade 10" f/10 SCT. As you can see by my sketch, I saw very light colors. Kind of a pale peach color mostly. I sure can't claim to know what the actual colors of the planet are from my observations! From my observations I'd have to go with the old Mars globe's colors, but maybe with the features a bit lighter in color...

That's a corner of the warm room and the walls are taken up with tall cabinets all around so I don't have the wall space to put up a Mars map -- and I don't have the Nat'l Geo Mars map.

Well, anyway, where's that Mars Topo globe?!!! I want to order mine!

swalker

#5843652 - 05/06/13 01:50 PM

Patience, I'll let you know when topo-mars is in.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5843694 - 05/06/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

Rick, I haven't had that many good opportunities over the years to observe Mars.

Wow! Well, you sure make the most of the opportunities you do get! That's a great sketch. I just looked at my sketches from that time, and they weren't a fraction that good!

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5843717 - 05/06/13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Sean!

Rick -- Thanks! I spent long sessions and really enjoyed sketching, I think it helps me see more. As much as I complained about the high humidity and temps while in NC, it may have actually helped with the seeing at times. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able to observe and sketch Mars with the refractors, C-8, and try it with the 10" DOB for comparisons. I'm wondering if the colors will be deeper with the refractors...

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! [Re: swalker]
      #5843918 - 05/06/13 04:23 PM

Quote:

Patience??! GAHHH!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5850147 - 05/09/13 02:28 PM

Still not available, as of a few minutes ago.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5850210 - 05/09/13 02:56 PM

This waiting for the Mars Topo is tough...but will be worth it!

GDN
sage

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Northern Michigan
      #5850455 - 05/09/13 04:54 PM

Remember what Tom Petty said: "The waiting is the hardest part."

My Mars globe is the old 16-inch version. Late 80's if I recall.

I still think the four-rocky planets to-scale would be great for a teaching model. Better than my polystyrene painted models.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: New S&T Mars Topo Globe Coming! new [Re: GDN]
      #5850585 - 05/09/13 06:14 PM

Waiting is the hardest part! Ol' Tom was certainly right about that!
Quote:

My Mars globe is the old 16-inch version. Late 80's if I recall.

Wow, that's cool!!
I agree that the 4 rocks would be great as a scaled collection.

swalker

#5851448 - 05/10/13 07:01 AM

That's nice, but I really don't see that ever happening, particularly by us. Globes come in certain sizes only because of the tooling or "molds" used to press-fit them. Creating four unique sizes for mass production would be prohibitively expensive. After all, who would want to pay $500 or more for a chipboard ball with printing on it?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2989

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics