Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Patrick
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Hi everybody! New to astrophotography... new [Re: guyroch]
      #5843752 - 05/06/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

Live view is not meant to shoot deep sky targets; these requires long exposure of several minutes using BULB. Live view only shows a few milliseconds of data per frames so this is simply not enough.




I take that to mean that live view only works on fairly bright stars, and therefore the Frame and Focus in BYEOS only really works when you have a bright star in the field. Even then, I'm not sure what the Frame part of that means since you can't see the object. I know I'm certainly missing something there, but what?

Patrick


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)
*****

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Hi everybody! New to astrophotography... new [Re: Patrick]
      #5843994 - 05/06/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Live view is not meant to shoot deep sky targets; these requires long exposure of several minutes using BULB. Live view only shows a few milliseconds of data per frames so this is simply not enough.




I take that to mean that live view only works on fairly bright stars, and therefore the Frame and Focus in BYEOS only really works when you have a bright star in the field. Even then, I'm not sure what the Frame part of that means since you can't see the object. I know I'm certainly missing something there, but what?

Patrick




Patrick,

The framing process also involves slewing to nearby stars, center them, synch it with your planetarium software, repeat with a few nearby stars, then move to youy nearby target, take 1 minute shot (or less, just enough to see your target), nudge the scope for perfect framing, then move on to imaging.

F&F allows for both live view and still images. In F&F still images are small jpg instead of raw so download speed is much faster... and you can take bulb images as well for good framing so it definitely has its use case.

I'll be happy to have a more in-depth conversation around this topic but we'll need to move the conversation to the vendor forum.

I'm walking a fine line by posting here and I don't want to violate the TOS agreement.

Thank you

Guylain


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmhill
sage


Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Hi everybody! New to astrophotography... [Re: guyroch]
      #5844077 - 05/06/13 05:45 PM

Patrick,
Maybe I can help. I am a regular user of BYEOS and for me Frame & Focus works great, its a powerful feature of the program.

However, you are correct that live view only shows bright objects and is of little use for framing. However, to the right of the image window in the lower section of the BYEOS display, I set the maximum ISO setting of my camera and then a exposure time that I know by experience gives a bright enough image so I can adjust the aim of the mount & telescope to give me the image framing I like. With my Canon 60Da camera the settings I use are ISO 6400, exposure 2 to 5 seconds is usually enough. Below the settings, the left most push-button allows you to make a single image or if you are focusing, the button to the right of it puts the imaging into a loop constantly refreshing the image being displayed... To cancel, in the upper left corner of the BYEOS window, under the counting wheel, click the abort button...

I find using the looping feature of Frame & Focus the solution to dim images in live view...

Edited by fmhill (05/06/13 05:48 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Hi everybody! New to astrophotography... new [Re: fmhill]
      #5844639 - 05/06/13 10:56 PM

Hi Frank,

Quote:

you are correct that live view only shows bright objects and is of little use for framing.




Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure if it was me or the program that was a little unclear. The reason I say unclear is because when you go into Frame and Focus it automatically starts up Live View. For someone who doesn't understand that their camera won't pick up anything in Live View that is faint, it's a little confusing when nothing shows up on the screen.

Quote:

to the right of the image window in the lower section of the BYEOS display, I set the maximum ISO setting of my camera and then a exposure time that I know by experience gives a bright enough image so I can adjust the aim of the mount & telescope to give me the image framing I like. With my Canon 60Da camera the settings I use are ISO 6400, exposure 2 to 5 seconds is usually enough. Below the settings, the left most push-button allows you to make a single image or if you are focusing, the button to the right of it puts the imaging into a loop constantly refreshing the image being displayed... To cancel, in the upper left corner of the BYEOS window, under the counting wheel, click the abort button...




Yes, I agree. I have used that feature and found it quite helpful. There's no question that BYEOS can be a handy tool.

Patrick


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
patrick2874
member


Reged: 02/05/13

Loc: memphis,tn.
Re: Hi everybody! New to astrophotography... new [Re: rbf3999]
      #5851975 - 05/10/13 01:05 PM

will do thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)


Extra information
15 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 865

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics