Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Adobe PS CS6 the end?
      #5844203 - 05/06/13 06:49 PM

Saw this on dpreview and was wondering who will support newer raw files from new cameras once Adobe cuts support for PS CS6:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/06/Adobe-kills-perpetual-licenses-as-cre...

I ask this since renting from the cloud is just not my cup of tea. How about creating tiffs in advance? Any thoughts?

Clear skies

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: ewave]
      #5844208 - 05/06/13 06:53 PM

DeepSkyStacker will still support new RAW formats as updates to DCRAW are made. does it matter if PS can't open new raw files directly?

it's a good time to try pixinsight

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: pfile]
      #5844211 - 05/06/13 06:55 PM

Lightroom ("cheap") and Adobe stand alone RAW to DNG converter (free)

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5844267 - 05/06/13 07:29 PM

as far as astro use, it's a non-issue. Adobe is only useful after calibration/stacking, so RAW is no longer present. As far as Canon cameras are concerned you can view make some adjustments, and transfer to photoshop in the form of Tif already, in the Canon supplied software.

Edited by zerro1 (05/06/13 07:30 PM)

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: zerro1]
      #5844330 - 05/06/13 07:56 PM

I'm leaning towards PixInsight myself.

http://pixinsight.com/

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: fetoma]
      #5844335 - 05/06/13 07:58 PM

what's somewhat interesting is that as a Lightroom user i received a survey a month back or so that was very complicated and seemed to be trying to justify charging yearly updates for lightroom, similar to what they've done with photoshop, etc.

i guess it was unpopular since they (for now anyway) have left Lightroom pricing alone.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#5844446 - 05/06/13 09:05 PM

I'm sure Adobe scientists are busy figuring out planned obsolescence for Lightroom also. : ) It's a whole 'nuther ballgame at $120 though, compared with $700-$2500. At those prices, it's unbelievable they would end up with Photoshop CS3 for example unable to open a 6D file. Will never buy another super expensive Adobe product. Which, I would think, is their plan: lots... and lots... of subscribers.

pfile
Post Laureate

#5844572 - 05/06/13 10:27 PM

well lightroom 5 is upon us (the first public beta is out) so hopefully it's too late for them to make the switch to a subscription model. although i've upgraded each version of lightroom since it came out, i really chafe at the yearly subscription model and i don't think i'd bite.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

#5846980 - 05/08/13 12:57 AM

"Adobe has said it will no longer be developing its Creative Suite range of software, leaving its subscription and cloud-based Creative Cloud as the only way of accessing the latest version of Photoshop"
from dpreview

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5847035 - 05/08/13 02:02 AM

Doesn't sound very sound decision/s by adobe, the subscription model and the cloud based apps. There could be more going on behind the scenes but surely doesn't look like a good decision at this time. Thx

jwheel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Davis TX
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: fetoma]
      #5847527 - 05/08/13 10:47 AM

Quote:

I'm leaning towards PixInsight myself.

http://pixinsight.com/

I highly recommend PI.

Joe Wheelock

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: jwheel]
      #5847801 - 05/08/13 01:46 PM

Subscription.

Am I the only one who sees no point for the cloud except profitability for Adobe?

Let me rephrase that... Do any customers think this is a good thing?

If the business world could only get onboard with GIMP.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5847820 - 05/08/13 01:54 PM

Does this cloud model support 3rd plarty plugins like GradientXTerminator ??

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Tonk]
      #5848105 - 05/08/13 04:12 PM

i think the "cloud" name is just bandwagoning. as far as i know the software still runs on your computer. it's just that a license check is performed against their servers and if you don't have a current subscription, no soup for you!

they do provide some storage in their cloud but i think the name just sounded better than "adobe opens your wallet"

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
      #5848157 - 05/08/13 04:36 PM

t's just that a license check is performed against their servers and if you don't have a current subscription, no soup for you!

I would think it's more than that or the software will be hacked to bypass the server checks.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5848179 - 05/08/13 04:46 PM

Don't the current versions of CS already check the server to make sure it's a licensed copy?

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5848311 - 05/08/13 05:44 PM

I love the Adobe ads.... only $29 a month for everything!!!

Yeah... for the like 1% of people out there who are current students at a listed college.

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
      #5848437 - 05/08/13 06:42 PM

I checked out their FAQ.....

This is what I got out of it.

You need an internet connection (and a license) to download and install the software on your computer. At that point the software is actually installed, quite similar to what is being done now.

Once a month, they check, and let you continue to use the software if you are paid for the month.

You do not need to be connected to the internet to use the software. You can go 180 days before you need to check in again. (Apparently, the software will run without checking in-- signing in to the internet-- for 180 days.)

Whenever you sign on, they update your software, so you always have the latest.

I do not like the plan. First off, I do not think it is actually "Cloud" computing, which I always thought was where the computing was actually done in the remote server, your own computer acting more like a terminal than a computer. But that is a semantic quibble, and may well be very wrong on the point.

But it is also very expensive. It may be cost effective if you are one of the people who need the latest and greatest. But for those of us who can go years on whatever edition we are using, it does not make economic sense. On the other hand, so many people have pirated that software, I can see why they want to do something to get it under control.

Alex

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5848479 - 05/08/13 06:58 PM

Is PS Elements also part of the "Creative Suite" ? I'll just be using PS6 to the bitter end until the OS no longer supports it. I don't get this whole cloud trend. Too much of a privacy risk for me.

Footbag
Postmaster

Re: Adobe PS CS6 the end? new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5848491 - 05/08/13 07:08 PM

Quote:

I do not like the plan. First off, I do not think it is actually "Cloud" computing, which I always thought was where the computing was actually done in the remote server, your own computer acting more like a terminal than a computer. But that is a semantic quibble, and may well be very wrong on the point.

Alex

That is what I understand cloud computing to be. You would access it over a basic app or web browser. My experiences are that they are extremely limited and I am skeptical of consumer cloud computing.

For business, it may make sense in regards to data security and real time accessibility. This doesn't appear to be that, though.

I only saw one reference to true cloud computing in regards to this...

Quote:

FTA
It also says it will allow the addition of processor-intensive features, such as Camera Shake Reduction tool, where the work can be conducted in the cloud.

Maybe they are just substituting the word "cloud" with the word "subscription" because it's more palatable.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 930

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics