Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question about manual setting circles new
      #5842719 - 05/06/13 12:09 AM

manual settings circles was around a long time before computers, tables, cell phones where you can download software to tell you the exact coordinates at that time. what did they use to find the coordinates back then for the time they were viewing. donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: question about manual setting circles new [Re: donnie3]
      #5842738 - 05/06/13 12:22 AM

I might still occasionally use them on a Super Polaris or Tak Space Boy - Polar aligned (very important), your DEC circle should be good to go. You then slew to a star with known coordinates, rotate the RA circle to match the star's RA (no harm making sure the DEC is correct as well, and a well-made mount will have the DEC scale properly aligned, and scope is parallel to polar axis), then you move the scope within the next couple of minutes (before the sky rotates too far away from your 'fixed' RA setting) to the RA and DEC coordinates that you wish to go to. That's it!

The only calculation one might make is to compensate for the 'epoch' of the published coordinates (due to earth's precession) - having a fancy HP-41 (or 67 for the even-more-ancient I suppose ) programmable calculator was the bee's knee!

Here's a google books excerpt (scroll up 2 pages for the 'easy' low-precision method) on converting epoch manually from the excellent book " Practical Astronmy with your Calculator "

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: question about manual setting circles new [Re: core]
      #5844099 - 05/06/13 05:56 PM

It was called a Sextant.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5844165 - 05/06/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

manual settings circles was around a long time before computers, tables, cell phones where you can download software to tell you the exact coordinates at that time. what did they use to find the coordinates back then for the time they were viewing. donnie

We used these weird devices called "books" and "charts." Their displays were very low resolution, but they sure were easy on the batteries.

Seriously, knowing the exact epoch/coordinates was just not necessary given the low resolution of most amateur setting circles. Even in the 80s I could still use a 1950.0 atlas and manual setting circles and a great big Erfle to get objects.

Edited by rmollise (05/06/13 06:32 PM)

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5844226 - 05/06/13 07:07 PM

Back then we had to slew our Telescopes uphill, in the snow, both ways.

And we used something like this

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: question about manual setting circles [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5844463 - 05/06/13 09:16 PM

thanks for answering my question. I was just curious about how they found the coordinates. donnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 282

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics