Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5º...
Vixen Porta II - suitable for a reflector?
      #5845153 - 05/07/13 09:19 AM

I didn't have long last night, but once it eventually got dark, and once Saturn eventually climbed high enough to have a decent view from my back garden, my son and I had a lovely hour or so just watching it drift through the field of view with my TV85. I love the simplicity and stability of the mount and the slow motion controls work really well. The only thing lacking was a bit of oomph, with the TV 85 only being 700mm focal length.

I've been wondering, therefore, whether the mount would be suitable for something like an f8 (1200mm) 6" Newtonian? I know the weight wouldn't be an issue (the mount is rated at 20lbs) but would the length of the tube make it very difficult to point upwards, and to reach the eyepiece without bumping into the tripod legs?

I know I could go down the route of the SCT or a Mak, but I like reflectors, as they're like me - a bit simple.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Vixen Porta II - suitable for a reflector? new [Re: osbourne one-nil]
      #5845196 - 05/07/13 09:49 AM

The weight limit of 20# is way too optimistic for the Porta II mount. I would limit the mount to about half of that rating. Even at half the weight, the weak point of the porta II is the tripod. Very unstable even under the lightest of loads. An upgraded tripod version would be well worth the extra money.

Stan

osbourne one-nil
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5º...
Re: Vixen Porta II - suitable for a reflector? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5845205 - 05/07/13 09:55 AM

Thanks Stan,

My TV85 once kitted with an eyepiece is probably pushing it to its limit then.

I never have long in the evenings you see, and at this time of year, it doesn't really get truly dark, so I just want something quick and easy. My head's telling me to go for a Nexstar 6SE, but I just like reflectors!

Orion Optics (UK) do a long focal length 6" reflector which weighs in at 5kg (11lbs) but it's going to hit the legs I think.

Pages: 1

Extra information
34 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 208

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics