Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
CCD to Mount Flange Distance Questions
      #5845189 - 05/07/13 09:47 AM

Most video (and astro video) cams being derived from surveillance cameras are using either a C or CS lens mount.
The specifications for CCD sensor to mount flange distance for C and CS mounts are clear.
However, it appears (after measuring different camera models from different manufacturers) that even if cameras use C/CS lens mounts, the flange to CCD distance varies quite a bit from the mount specifications.
This creates a lot of problems, starting with lenses that don't come to focus and ending with not knowing what accessories could or couldn't be used with the camera , what spacers to use with various scopes, field flatteners etc.
Is there a database , website, or even individual manufacturer models specifications that show the _actual_ CCD to flange distance for the most commonly used astro video cameras ? Mallincams , Stellacams, Watec, Gstar, Mintron, Orion , Samsung 435, 2000, 4000 ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: CCD to Mount Flange Distance Questions new [Re: mattflastro]
      #5847263 - 05/08/13 07:52 AM

Matt,

in general, videocam vendor should adhere either to C-mount or CS-mount spec. including "flange-back distance" spec. If not, many complains or returns will show.

The mfgs sometime put an adjustment knob (drives a helical screw) to allow moving the CCD sensor module back and forth. Sometimes it is used to match with (cheap) lens not designed to spec.

I doubt there is a database collecting the manufacturing tolerance or goof-ups. In my book, it's just C or CS. (Factory native mode does not count, e.g., Samsung has a native one which always need a ring to bring it to spec.) No more and no less. If doesn't work, add shim, extender, change the mount type, or change the lens.

P.S. adding a focal reducer changes the focal plane distance (moves further in.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: CCD to Mount Flange Distance Questions new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5847521 - 05/08/13 10:44 AM

C-Mount - 17.52mm
CS-Mount - 12.52mm

Older Mallincam video cameras (AFAIK < serial# 369) - 15.8mm
Newer Mallincam video cameras - 12.5mm (this is referred to by Rock as "CCD forward" position)

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 351

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics