Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan
      #5846109 - 05/07/13 05:14 PM

I'm going to update to a larger mount. The wife killed any thoughts of an AP but has given me about a $7000.00 budget. I'm keeping to the 50/50 rule so I need a mount that will carry a 100# load. Which leaves me with the CGE Pro or Losmandy Titan. I would love to hear the good/bad on both these mounts. Thanks for any opinion.

Russ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5846605 - 05/07/13 08:58 PM

Maybe you can also include a Meade LX-850

turtledude1

Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: Jesus Munoz]
      #5846615 - 05/07/13 09:03 PM

I'd rather have a nail driven through my head than ever buy anything Meade again. Like momma always said fool and his money are soon parted.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5846694 - 05/07/13 09:43 PM

Turtle,

Are you saying I am a fool?

My LX850 is wonderful and works fine. Very impressive optics also. Now I just need good weather.

And to add fly to your ointment - 10" LX200 22 years old going strong. 13+ year old ETX-125 going strong too. One should certainly consider the LX850.

turtledude1

Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5846738 - 05/07/13 10:07 PM

AH yes I remember my LXD 750,(rarely worked) RCX400 10" (Huge Lemon) and my LX200 that Meade had more than I did. I've learned with Meade it's not how they work, it's how long they work. An LX850? I'll pass....Sorry
It's not Meades scopes that have put a bad taste in my mouth it's their mounts.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5846742 - 05/07/13 10:09 PM

I've always liked the Titan. Good mount with big capacity at a pretty fair price.

David

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5846748 - 05/07/13 10:12 PM

Does it have to be new?

A used AP900 would come in under $7000 (sometimes - with a CP2 controller). Not 100lb rated but it can probably carry 100lb (there's a guy on here who says a Mach1 can carry 100lb - for visual).

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5846752 - 05/07/13 10:16 PM

Right now there is a 1200 CP3 in astromart for $7250...

Cheers,

Jose

turtledude1

Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5846762 - 05/07/13 10:21 PM

Hi David
I'm leaning towards the Titan, It's a very proven mount and I know it's a tank. I've read where Gemini is a little tricky but I downloaded the manual and it looks fairly easy.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#5846802 - 05/07/13 10:38 PM

I was gonna say the same thing Jose... that 1200CP3 is a fantastic deal, it has all the counterweights and everything.

FWIW.. I know someone who has a Titan, but is planning to replace it with an 1100 or 1600 at some point (now that the 1200 is no longer available).

turtledude1

#5846846 - 05/07/13 10:59 PM

I couldn't stand it for an extra $1500.00 I'm now on the AP1100 notification list. My wish was for the 1600 but that's where wifey drew the line. The Titan is out until October anyhow.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#5846893 - 05/07/13 11:27 PM

Good choice.

With all the horror stories about Losmandy mounts needing tweaking out the gate (even if new..) and the Titan isn't exactly chump change.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5847006 - 05/08/13 01:26 AM

I think you would be happy with either..

paul11
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Essex UK.
Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5847129 - 05/08/13 04:03 AM

What about a used EM 400, i just got one, nice mount.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: paul11]
      #5847160 - 05/08/13 05:14 AM

... no GoTo without a PC though (or the future Temma handpad).

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5847903 - 05/08/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

I couldn't stand it for an extra $1500.00 I'm now on the AP1100 notification list. My wish was for the 1600 but that's where wifey drew the line. The Titan is out until October anyhow.

You should have listened to your momma.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: New CGE Pro or a Losmandy Titan new [Re: Alph]
      #5848641 - 05/08/13 08:27 PM

I think he's going to be really happy with the AP1100. I sure wish I could afford one.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5849733 - 05/09/13 10:40 AM

Russ,
I don't have either one. I've only seen the CGE Pro.
I have had a G11 that started with the DDS & ended with a G2. It was a like, love, hate, love relationship. When I first got it I liked it, tuned it up & loved it, then as I upgraded it farther, I started to hate it. Once I got it retuned I loved it again.
I replaced it with a used HGM-200, the Titans older, bulkier, & chunkier, brother. If you can imagine an LXD-750, then put it beside the RCX400. That's the difference between the CGE Pro & the HGM. The CGE Pro is a bit bigger than the G11.
I've seen the Titan, it is actually a touch less massive than the HGM, & a lot sleeker. I think they did the milling on the RA to make into a cone, rather than a cylinder with a cone on the end for the CW. I would STRONGLY recommend putting on a permanent pier. It is HEAVY! #84 without CW! It does break down into 7 pieces, 3 legs, tripod head, DEC assembly, RA assembly, CW shaft. The heaviest pieces being the DEC & RA assemblies at ~#30 each. Putting the DEC on the Tripod isn't hard if you've leveled it first. It will slide into the tripod head and rotate until you can line up the 6 hex bolts. The problem comes in with the RA. The weight of the RA isn't really that bad, but putting it on the DEC shaft once the DEC is on the tripod is not something you want to do everyday. I'm 52 & 5'9" #150 lifting the DEC up & putting it onto the RA shaft is a workout because it is a very awkward lift & you have to slide it down the RA shaft while supporting its weight at the correct angle. The RA shaft is at a 90* angle to the Polar Axis.
This is NOT, NOT, NOT, a Grab-&-Go mount by any means. Grab-&-Go to the ER maybe.
It is a typical Losmandy mount, easy to service, easy to maintain, and can carry a load like nothing I've ever used. I've put the following on it without an issue: Meade 10"f4 SNT with rotating rings #28; Celestron C6R #21; Ioptron 90mmf3 #4; Coronado PST #7; a 24" dovetail, 3 saddle plates #6; Orion Deep Space Imager #2; & Imaging Source DMK3 #2; all at the same time ~#70 load. It didn't need to have the motor speed reduced to deal with the load.
I don't think a CGE Pro could do this without a hernia.
Did it have problems? Yes, when I bought it, it needed cleaned & regreased. One of the main RA bearings was rough & I called Losmandy. They had one in stock, so I bought an entire set, & had them make 2 Brass HP worms, with shipping it ran ~$150. I had some questions & called Losmandy , they put Russell & Scott on the line, both knew the mount & were able to explain how to disassemble, clean & regrease it over the phone & explain how the encoders worked including the pinouts so I could used a SkyCommander in tandem with it.
The Titans' have a rep of working well right out of the box, The G8, & G11 will need to be "tuned up". This process can be very, very frustrating, esp. considering the cost. None of them is chicken feed.
IMO the biggest single point of angst is the old style worm & getting it adjusted properly. The OPW is a vast improvement, & the HP worm, tames the G11, after it is adjusted in.
I didn't do much AP with mine, & have lost all of that from a recurring leak in my Dome before I went over to the HGM. I have a replacement dome being moved sometime in the next week or 2. NO more leaky dome & I get dome rotation.
I can tell you that the G11, & the HGM have given me stunning views in my class 9 skies.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Alterf
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/07/06

#5849815 - 05/09/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

... no GoTo without a PC though (or the future Temma handpad).

Actually, an ipod and a cable adds goto to Takahashi mounts. I use SkySafari and a serial-to-bluetooth adapter on my EM-10 for wireless goto with my Samsung tablet; a Samsung phone would work the same way. The expensive or non-existent goto Tak hand controller should not stop anyone from considering a Tak mount.

Val

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1029

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics