Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Slidell La
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5727753 - 03/12/13 09:53 AM

I'll keep that in mind, Mikey. I plan to take advantage of this good weather to put this mount through its motions. BTW Had a great time last evening with Pontchartrain Astronomy Society members Jack Huerkamp and Brian Lecompte observing Comet Panstarrs !!! Thanks Guys !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: BarabinoSr]
      #5727937 - 03/12/13 11:36 AM

Gary have you ever felt such a smooth feel on any other mounting?? A person can't get a better operating mount like these. Plus the cost is probably 1/10 the total invested in a boughten one! Mike

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5728752 - 03/12/13 06:29 PM

Mikey, the feel is smooth with no herky-jerky movements. I can move the scope into almost any position without difficulty.People may be very surprised at the cost to build one of these - not bad at all!! My buddy Mel Dawson will be starting on one soon after he completes his 6" f/10 GJD refractor. I will be heading out again with the astronomy club guys for more comet viewing, but upon return I plan to set up the 8 inch scope for more mount testing. Looking like another spectacular evening is shaping up here. Gary

neo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/12/08

Loc: Iasi, Romania
      #5729679 - 03/13/13 04:43 AM

Beautifully simple and straightforward mount you got there Gary ! I really like it! What you'll goona use to drive the DEC shaft? Are you plan on any means of adjusting in Alt/Az for polar aligning?

Dave O
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Sri Lanka
      #5729904 - 03/13/13 09:11 AM

Quote:

See how all this is going to look right uptown? What's nice about pillow block mounts are the real basic beef parts are simple and quick to put together. Plus they have numerous places where you can add "stuff" without dealing with curved surfaces to tap into etc. Then when you coat them with a nice crinkle finish they do indeed look quite "industrial" and operate like it too! Yeah they aren't meant to be portable grab 'n goes they are for semi and permanent setups. It'll look first class Gary. Guess what Gary? Something tells me you aren't going to stop at one unit or 1" for that matter. I see more in your future. Mike

I am not familiar with these bearings; but am curious as to how one handles the axial thrust loads?

A pretty interesting thread, learning lots. Thanks for sharing. Dave O

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: Dave O]
      #5730130 - 03/13/13 11:32 AM

Hi Dave! Thanks for your interest!
How much load bearing put on this unit depends entirely on the weight of the scope that will be used upon it. This was built to handle an 8" f/6 Newtonian, plus three others all lighter than the first one. These pillow blocks are reasonably priced, light industrial strength quality. I believe that this unit can carry up to a short 10" newt with the proper counter weights attached well. It is very tight no loose parts and well balanced.Another thing; the 1-inch shaft can accept barbell weights with a 1" center hole. If you're considering one of these, I recommend using PRECISION steel shafts for RA and Dec. with no shorter than 12" length for the RA axis and no longer than 30" for the declination axis. My RA axis is too long and will be shortened considerably to 1.5" beyond the clock drive. You can have fun building one like this, and as I said before, it not that expensive. Gary

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build new [Re: neo]
      #5733210 - 03/14/13 11:04 PM

Hey Neo ! To address the question about the declination drive, that will be added later .I originally considered using an Opti-craft Machine model but in view of the recent activities involving them I will hold off on that for now. The mount's altitude is controlled by two screws on the pipecap atop the pedestal base,on the pipecap's left side facing the mount from the rear. The larger one has a hexhead female opening on top of it and the other is a regular 1" bolt and both of these thread into the pipecap. It is a simple matter to lower or raise the altitude of the head by loosening or tightening these. I will add altitude gradations to this mount after the painting and priming is done.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5766809 - 03/30/13 12:42 PM Attachment (65 downloads)

I've been out awhile attending to various matters and its time to update the latest progress with this build. I set up the mount in reflector mode for a test run last evening, without the drive connected to see how efficient it is and trained it on a few celestial objects. I'm happy to report that this unit performed better than expected, a 100% improvement over the cg-5 I had before. I did some minor tweaking of the Dec. slo-mo and got the scope balanced on all sides so that the it stayed in position no matter where the scope was pointed. Great steady braking using the slo-mo on the declination axis, and I spent nearly an hour under the stars with the system.
What's next ? The refractor mode tests using the 4.5" f/10 Jaegers and 5-inch f/9 Apogee scopes to be conducted to night weather permitting. And the connection of the RA Byers Drive as well in a few days . Presently I'm awaiting the arrival of a small aluminum box , and also got a power cord for the drive converting one I already had from an old pc. This box will be screwed to the underside of the RA axis plate to help protect the drive's electrical connections from exposure to excessive moisture so common to this area .So the work on the build continues! Some views of the system as set up last night with the scope pointed at Jupiter.
Gary(G)

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/30/13 12:44 PM)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5766813 - 03/30/13 12:45 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Scope aimed at M45(1432) Pleiades.

Edited by BarabinoSr (03/30/13 12:49 PM)

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5824061 - 04/26/13 10:41 AM

It's been a while since my last report on this build and all kinds of things have happened in the interim that has kept me from getting back on track here. I still need to complete the refractor tests and hook up the drive system . The plan is to take one step at a time until I finish. I'm off from work this weekend and will get the set up done for refractor mode. Clear Skies,Gary

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5824200 - 04/26/13 11:40 AM

Gary that is a very uptown setup you have there. Like you said pillow block mountings are cheap for what you get and some people not in the know would be very surprized I'm quite sure. With my mounting you probably could easily out do a commercial mount costing $10,000+. Sure no goto but heck I'm old school anyway and don't want goto. A mount like mine would probably cost $2,500 bucks to build it yourself. My PB's cost $90 each back 30 years ago but new ones today run about $400-$500 each. Even tho' $2500 is a lot of doughit's still way cheaper than a likewise commercial mount. I like that setup of your's with the large newt because it has that "it means business" look to it. After all large professional observatories all have that utilitarian industrial look....do they not? Mike

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844494 - 05/06/13 09:43 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

Thanks, Mike! I have been busy lately but I finally got around to getting some work in on the Reflector base pipe and toes. I took the toes off and dropped the base pipe on my workbench and made some preparations to begin sanding it down before priming and got a view of it before the work began.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844514 - 05/06/13 10:00 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Sanding of the short base pipe completed. I was able to remove the dust left over from the process. It had a light coat of paint to keep it from rusting and this came off rather easily.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844525 - 05/06/13 10:06 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

I decided to go with a is supposed to be a very good primer for my pieces, and also picked up the first cans of spray paint for use when the primer is fully dried.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844534 - 05/06/13 10:08 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Next I sanded the toes as well.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844547 - 05/06/13 10:16 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

I removed as much of the old material off the toes as possible, including those spots after the last image was taken. Base pipe and toes first layer of primer added .Being as humid as it is here, I did'nt want the bare metals to rust.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844582 - 05/06/13 10:33 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

I also decided to start on the Refractor Base pipe too. It was also laid down onto the workbench in preparation for sanding down.

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

#5844597 - 05/06/13 10:38 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Got this piece sanded down,so the next step is to take care of the toes for this base too.I'll need to get an extra can of the primer,so I can have enough to double coat both bases and their toes.

dawsonian2000
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/06

Loc: Riverview, FL, USA
      #5846189 - 05/07/13 05:44 PM

Hey G ,

You did a great job of the stripping the paint off your pedestal posts! They definitely look quite ready for priming. Just get them primed quick. You already know how bad that humidity is there.

I look forward to your next step.

Mel

BarabinoSr
Pooh-Bah

Re: A 1" Shaft diameter Pillow Block Mount Build [Re: dawsonian2000]
      #5846784 - 05/07/13 10:31 PM

Thanks Mel. I will be heading to the hardware store to pick up another can of primer tomorrow. The plan is to have these parts primed for painting before the rainy weekend. Gary

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7391

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics