Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
buminhan
journeyman

Reged: 04/09/13

Loc: İstanbul, Türkiye
Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing new
      #5845104 - 05/07/13 08:36 AM

My question may sound a bit strange and it is directed mostly to those that use(d) one. I am planning to buy a Rithcey-Chretien OTA. I will be engaged in both viewing and imaging. I know its superiority in astrophotography. But I know that I will be very much delighted in observing the deep space as well.

So can anyone tell me if the scope's visual back and in general the OTA itself is suitable/compatible for such use? And also, what equipments I may need to have troubleless viewing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing new [Re: buminhan]
      #5845175 - 05/07/13 09:37 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! An RC can be used for visual work and used quite well. However, as you already noted, it's not optimal for viewing especially at low powers. It would be very low on my list of scopes for viewing only, but for both, it will work.

As an aside, you should see if you can get in contact with one of our moderators, Sedat.

David

zehnmm

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: Alto, New Mexico
      #5845229 - 05/07/13 10:05 AM

I recently got an 8" RC (the VRC8 from Rock Mallin) that I plan to put a Mallincam Extreme camera on. In the meantime, I have peeked at a few things and find that the views are ok in my old eyes. My reference point is an Orion XT8 dob. With similar reasonable collimation on both scopes the dob views are a bit better, fyi.

But, again, the VRC8 views are not bad.

Regards,

Steve

buminhan
journeyman

Re: Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing new [Re: zehnmm]
      #5845329 - 05/07/13 11:16 AM

OK. I will consider them for both purposes.

I also got a mail in the meantime from Astronomics. They also recommend them as excellent visual scopes.

Thanks very much for the support!

Bumin

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5845339 - 05/07/13 11:21 AM

Welcome to CN!

As the others have mentioned, it would not be my first choice for visual astronomy, but my RC was not that bad. If you notice anything, it will be a loss of contrast and/or general "flattening" (graying) of the view. This is due to the massive CO (40 percent plus) on these scopes.

The flattened view will be most apparent if you set up another scope side by side and do a comparison. If there is nothing to compare, your eyes will probably just acclimate to the view you have.

If you want to test this out, just stick your hand in front of your current scope and see how it affects the view. Your hand is about the same size as the CO on the RC.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a six inch scope. Try three fingers instead of your hand.

Cheers,

Ron

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing new [Re: RAKing]
      #5846245 - 05/07/13 06:06 PM

I have an AT10RCF and agree with everything said. I actually find views of many DSO' s , clusters and some nebulas excellent. You will lose some contrast on dimmer DSO and on planets but for the rest it does great. Too much negative talk about how large co effects viewing. No it's not a premium dob but they have pretty darn good optics.

Edited by davebuechler (05/07/13 06:14 PM)

buminhan
journeyman

Re: Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing [Re: RAKing]
      #5847161 - 05/08/13 05:16 AM

" If you notice anything, it will be a loss of contrast and/or general "flattening" (graying) of the view. This is due to the massive CO (40 percent plus) on these scopes."

Could you pls open up CO on the scopes.
(could'nt find a track of it anyplace). I can use a focal reducer/field flattener to dispel this problem, can't I?

Yet another question: If I buy a RC 8" or 10" OTA, do I also need to buy these?
Adapter for 2" + star diagonal 2" + AF series 70 degrees eyepieces (dual barrel)+ finderscope.

Thanks in advance..
Bumin

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5847243 - 05/08/13 07:30 AM

Hi Bumin,

Welcome to CN.

CO is central obstruction, which usually is the secondary mirror and holder assy etc. Focal reducer will not help with this problem.

Quote:

Yet another question: If I buy a RC 8" or 10" OTA, do I also need to buy these?
Adapter for 2" + star diagonal 2" + AF series 70 degrees eyepieces (dual barrel)+ finderscope.

You will need these for visual use.

Starting Astrophotograpy with such a long focal length (RC) and such a slow f ratio will give you only frustration unfortunately.

My advise would be a camera lens or a small refractor like AT65EDQ for astrophotography. For visual, a 10"- 12 Intelliscope will give you the best bang for the buck but you can opt for a SCT, which you can later use for AP as well.

RC is not a good starter scope for someone who has no experience in AP nor is it an optimal scope for visual use. 1625-2000mm fl is not so easy to handle when you are just beginning AP.

Hope this helps

Edited by bilgebay (05/08/13 07:56 AM)

buminhan
journeyman

Re: Is a RC 8"/10" scope equally good for viewing new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5849217 - 05/09/13 02:36 AM

Hi Sedat,

Using the refractor seems to be a good start for AP. For viewing, I will have to think of something else.

Thanks very much.

Bumin

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 522

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics