Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kevin Barker

Reged: 04/22/09

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5840493 - 05/04/13 05:40 PM

As a child of about 10 I discovered that a neighbour had a pair of old(ex-military?) 6X30 field glasses.
They had great optics and he never used them. His son was a good friend and I loaned them for a while. Boy the moon was marvelous as were the stars. That got me hooked.

Later I bought telescopes(along with my twin brother)an Astroscan(around 1980) after buying possibly the worst 40X40 refractor ever made.
Next binocular purchase was a pair of run of the mill 7X50's which were optically great but had tunnel vision.
Today I own and use Zeiss 10X25, 7X42B/GA T P*, 10X40 B/GA T P*, 8X30B T P* Dialyt.
Fujinon 10X70 FMT-SX( a firm favourite), Garrett 20X110.

My firm favourite is the 10X40's for birding and also astronomy as a finder. The Fuji's for astronomy are fab when mounted.

Possibly the nicest binoculars I have used are the Fuji 25X150, Nikon 12X50 SE and the Zeiss 15X60 B/GA T* .

Edited by Kevin Barker (05/04/13 05:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Kevin Barker]
      #5840553 - 05/04/13 06:25 PM

Well, as hoped, already my simple question has attracted a very interesting and varied set of replies.

It's especially nice to see a few of them from members who rarely post to this forum, not least the previous poster, Kevin, whom I remember from my time over on the Binoculars forum at Astromart around 11 years ago.

Hello, Kevin!

Kenny

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5840647 - 05/04/13 07:50 PM

This is a great thread Kenny.

Kevin Barker

Reged: 04/22/09

Loc: Auckland, NZ
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: panhard]
      #5841129 - 05/05/13 04:01 AM

Gidday Kenny
Yes I used to post a lot on astromart. It has gone a bit quiet of late. I know of several other NZ er's who no longer use it now as well. Cloudy nights is really big now.

I reckon binoculars have changed my whole perspective on nature and the world around me, well made user friendly binoculars really enhance ones connection with the world around us.

I use them to watch sport, observe birds, planes and stars etc

I always have binoculars handy when cruising around the Southern skies with a telescope.

A good pair is well worth the investment....

I have a young nephew who is 11 who might just get a pair for X mas....or his next birthday.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Kevin Barker]
      #5841142 - 05/05/13 04:25 AM

Thanks for that, Kevin.

We visited Auckland in October/ November 1993 and what a wonderful experience it was in every way imaginable.

I particularly remember the great views looking out from the harbour at Devonport, an exceptionally wide tree with exposed roots, not far from the city centre, friendly hospitality and the best breakfasts I've ever been served in my life!

I'd forgotten about that subtle difference between "Gidday" in Auckland and "G'Day" in Adelaide! :-)

Best Regards,
Kenny

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #5841255 - 05/05/13 08:22 AM

I first used binoculars as a boy, to search for the sputnik and explorer satellites. Of course, those scans of the skies, began my interest in non-artificial lights too. However, I soon moved on to telescopes and my binocular use all but died. Then, a star-party view of M31 through some 125mm binoculars several years ago stirred my interest in binocular astronomy again. I use them on a regularly basis now.

Philip Levine
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: near Boston, MA
      #5841531 - 05/05/13 12:02 PM

Hi Kenny,
Great Thread Kenny. Birding. Then casual astronomy. Then BIG TIME ADDICTION: - CLOUDY NIGHTS Binocular Forum . Special thanks to BILL COOK, Professor EdZ, and Phil Harrington.

Phil

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Philip Levine]
      #5843049 - 05/06/13 07:52 AM

I was bought as a child a cheap draw scope by my father as a 6th birthday present to look at the moon. But the magnification was far to high to hand hold so he bought me a pair of 7x50 Japanese porros. So moon and stars were the reason for me.

Cliff C

Reged: 02/11/09

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: mudnreo]
      #5845213 - 05/07/13 09:58 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Mudnreo,
Our boat was only 21 foot and the way it ran we would never have dared to take it out into the ocean. A 26 footer is pretty big by my standards and going 40 miles offshore with it is very daring. I prefer to keep land in sight.
As for those 7x50 Tascos, they are actually 7x35s labeled "featherlight", lightweight brick that is. No wonder that I thought they were larger. I am going to try attaching a photo of myself using them in 1972.
Cliff

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5846105 - 05/07/13 05:11 PM

In 1958, when I was 5, my father bought binoculars and we would throw a blanket out in the back yard and use the National Geographic star map to explore the sky. Perfect instrument for the very transparent but often turbulent skies in Colorado Springs.

The neighbor kid, Lenny, borrowed the star map and never returned it. If I ever find you Lenny...

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5846674 - 05/07/13 09:30 PM

Gus,

You bring back a memory. I had a July 1943 National Geographic, that had star charts printed in an article, entitled, "The Heavens, above. I ripped out the star charts, around 1968 and studied them for years, until they fell apart.
I am sure that you were writing of a formal star chart.
Clear skies,
Arthur

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5846936 - 05/08/13 12:11 AM

Quote:

In 1958, when I was 5, my father bought binoculars and we would throw a blanket out in the back yard and use the National Geographic star map to explore the sky. Perfect instrument for the very transparent but often turbulent skies in Colorado Springs.

The neighbor kid, Lenny, borrowed the star map and never returned it. If I ever find you Lenny...

After my father and I failed to see Sputnik, that star map arrival in early 1958 inspired even greater interest in astronomy. You can buy a contemporary version of the National Geographic Heavens Map. If you want a 1958 version, I bet that can be found too.

Edited by Man in a Tub (05/08/13 12:14 AM)

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5847176 - 05/08/13 05:54 AM

Interesting to see so many of us got into this hobby as youngsters and have continued it well into adulthood. Nothing like a lifetime hobby.

Jay_Bird
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: USA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: RichD]
      #5848188 - 05/08/13 04:48 PM

As early as I can remember it was equal parts (usually shared with dad) binocular use at sporting events; scanning air traffic, or the ocean horizon when too cold to go in; and birds/wildlife; then finally the night sky by age 11.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: RichD]
      #5849119 - 05/09/13 12:04 AM

Quote:

Interesting to see so many of us got into this hobby as youngsters and have continued it well into adulthood. Nothing like a lifetime hobby.

Dear old dad was quite knowledgeable when it came to matters scientific and that included the night sky.

During my high school years and college years, my family vacationed by traveling down Baja California. Those were days before paved roads so often we traveled 3 full days on roads that required 4WD to our camping spots. Often there was not a house or even a fish camp within 50 miles...

Needless to say, the skies were amazingly dark and very clear. Needless to say, my father's dear son was at that age when when sons are not interested in dear old dad's wisdom, those wonderful nights were wasted and the dear son only became enamored with the night sky in his later years.

What could have been.

Jon

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5849175 - 05/09/13 01:24 AM

I made a 6 inch f/8 Newtonian, ff. the Thompson and Texereau route, at about 12-13.

But after using it for the usual Saturn rings, etc., I found that a family WW II Busch 10 x 50 , with erect images, was more fun, particularly to learn the sky ,

Somewhat later, I read the classic Henry Paul article " Big Viewing with Giant Binoculars", in a 1962 Review of Popular Astronomy periodical issue. That whetted my appetite for larger, mounted, binoculars.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2848

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics