Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
flygal6
journeyman

Reged: 03/03/13

Focuser question new
      #5846917 - 05/07/13 11:50 PM

I have a 6" reflecting Newtonian telescope my father and I built from scratch when I was a kid. I am looking now to make some updates to it now. I have seen some crayford type focusers listed here, 1.25" and with curved base. How much does the tube/mirror size (6" vs 13") affect the fit of the focuser to the tube? In other words, can a focuser used on a larger scope, still fit and work on a 6" one? Just want to make sure there isn't something I am missing and don't want to waste my money with something not compatible.
Thanks Carol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CosmoSat
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: India
Re: Focuser question new [Re: flygal6]
      #5847015 - 05/08/13 01:32 AM

Hi Carol,

The bases are available in sizes that fit the tubes curve.

GSO Crayford Focuser for Reflectors - Single Speed

GSO Crayford Focuser for Reflectors - Dual Speed

Choose the one u want from the selection menu.

The single speed focuser should work well with a f/8 scope.

Clear Skies!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Focuser question [Re: flygal6]
      #5847190 - 05/08/13 06:17 AM

Quote:

I have a 6" reflecting Newtonian telescope my father and I built from scratch when I was a kid. I am looking now to make some updates to it now. I have seen some crayford type focusers listed here, 1.25" and with curved base. How much does the tube/mirror size (6" vs 13") affect the fit of the focuser to the tube? In other words, can a focuser used on a larger scope, still fit and work on a 6" one? Just want to make sure there isn't something I am missing and don't want to waste my money with something not compatible.
Thanks Carol

Carol:

You do need to make sure the focuser base fits the tube, that can be a problem with a smaller scope. If the tube is robust, a focuser made to fit a larger tube can be used by using washers between the focuser and the tube but it's better to have a focuser that fits.

Also, you need to make sure the focuser height, that is the racked in focuser height as well as the travel will allow the scope to come to focus.

Jon

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Focuser question new [Re: flygal6]
      #5847319 - 05/08/13 08:44 AM

Many focusers have a universal base that fits all round tube sizes, or you order it with base suited for a particular size tube. It is worth the money to buy a good focuser, when I built my 15-inch I spend $265.00 on a Moonlite focuser for it, and I never regretted it because smooth, exact focusing at high power is a pleasure. I had to order it with a flat base because of how I had to mount it however. Premium focuser makers also offer everything you'll need to fit their focusers to any sort of tube. You can certainly get a good one for much less than that.

Taras

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Focuser question new [Re: Achernar]
      #5847426 - 05/08/13 09:58 AM

Or mark the tube on the side exactly opposite the center of the focuser. I usually drill a small hole there. Apply some Bondo body filler to the area where the focuser will sit. Fit the focuser, get out your site tube and align it, clean up any squeezed out filler and let it cure.

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 254

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics