Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Stellafane 2013
      #5849145 - 05/09/13 12:26 AM

On-line registration is open!

Here's ( youtube video ) the main presentation from last year given by "The Meteorite Men". ...get your popcorn before watching... it's nearly 2 hours long.

I missed it 'cuz I was observing, but these guys and Geoff's girlfriend spent about an hour or more observing with other friends thru my 20-inch Dob. I had a great time talking to them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5882151 - 05/24/13 12:07 PM

Am I the only one going to Stellafane 2013?

Anyway.... lots more info up on their website: Stellafane 2013 Convention web page

Main speaker info:

Comet Tales: Our changing view of these Cosmic Vagabonds
will be the keynote talk given by Guy Consolmago He serves as Curator of Meteorites at the Vatican Observatory. He is co-author of the popular sky guide Turn Left at Orion.

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
      #5882168 - 05/24/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

Am I the only one going to Stellafane 2013?

Anyway.... lots more info up on their website: Stellafane 2013 Convention web page

Main speaker info:

Comet Tales: Our changing view of these Cosmic Vagabonds
will be the keynote talk given by Guy Consolmago He serves as Curator of Meteorites at the Vatican Observatory. He is co-author of the popular sky guide Turn Left at Orion.

Br. Guy is an excellent speaker, he did a talk at TSP 2010 and was very entertaining and funny.

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: FJA]
      #5882204 - 05/24/13 12:32 PM

I'll be there

Norm

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: stmguy]
      #5882847 - 05/24/13 06:28 PM

Me too.

I met Br. Guy Consolmago at NEAF in 2007.

Dave Mitsky

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5886444 - 05/27/13 12:46 AM

I wouldn't miss it!

Fortune07

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate ...
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: operascope]
      #5886645 - 05/27/13 07:53 AM

I've had my camping reservations since Jan (VT state park), this will be my 5th year, my once a year get-away, wild horses couldn't keep me away.lol

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: Fortune07]
      #5887156 - 05/27/13 01:52 PM

Jeff, which state park do you camp in? This will be my 6th year (also major vacation of the year), and every year I spend at least a few days in Coolidge State Park to decompress and tune up my scopes before the big star party. It's a little taste of heaven, and I look forward to it all year.
Quote:

I've had my camping reservations since Jan (VT state park), this will be my 5th year, my once a year get-away, wild horses couldn't keep me away.lol

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5888117 - 05/27/13 11:39 PM

Quote:

I've had my camping reservations since Jan (VT state park),.....

For most of the years from 1996 until Stellafane started opening on Thursday some friends and I reserved a lean-to or two at Ascutney State Park for the entire time, and would stay there on Thursday, and other nights if the weather was really bad. I also would run over for a shower if needed. There was a nice convenience store with sandwiches, beer, etc, and a nice restaurant (great breakfasts) within minutes of the park. It's about 20 to 30 minutes from Stellafane, mostly back roads. If you like hiking (also a road), the trip to the top of Mt. Ascutney is another adventure to be had. No swimming however.

Ascutney is a great park for Stellafaners. The lean-tos are clean and inviting, and two of them have easy access down to an athletic field that is great for observing. It's kinda cool to have a fire going up at the lean-to, and a scope and chairs down on the field. One year on a Thursday, after dark, we removed the barrier log on the road leading down to the field and drove some 4WD's down there and had a C-11 and Astro-Physics 6-inch APO going all night.

I can also remember some very rainy nights leaving Stellafane to go back to Ascutney for a nice fire outside the lean-to, especially the year that featured two hurricanes in one weekend! No sense of hanging out at night at Stellafane in pounding rain if you can be at a dry place with fire and friends listening to some music and telling stories of Stellafanes past.

Some of my friends *still* reserve a lean-to at Ascutney for Stellafane weekend. In some ways I kinda miss going there. It's quite a nice place.

Fortune07

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate ...
      #5921584 - 06/15/13 01:22 AM

For the first few years we stayed at Wilgus state park, but then last year they were full for Stellafane, so we ended up in Ascuthey. We enjoyed it so much, we are back there this year. Our tent fits perfectly inside the lean-to, with enough room for all the extra gear, so even if it does rain everything stays dry. Last year one of the rangers offered to take us to the top of the mountain with my 10"DOB, but we couldn't stay another night, maybe this year.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5925950 - 06/17/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

For the first few years we stayed at Wilgus state park, but then last year they were full for Stellafane, so we ended up in Ascuthey. We enjoyed it so much, we are back there this year. Our tent fits perfectly inside the lean-to, with enough room for all the extra gear, so even if it does rain everything stays dry. Last year one of the rangers offered to take us to the top of the mountain with my 10"DOB, but we couldn't stay another night, maybe this year.

I've been in one of those Ascutney lean-tos on many a rainy night and never got wet! Even in windy conditions the over-hang is such that the rain can't get in. However it can be quite noisy hitting the metal roof!

One rainy night we put a canopy tent over the fireplace long enough to get a fire going, and then quickly backed the canopy back up to the lean-to.... and there we sat, watching the merry fire burn, listening to some music and talking about clear nights to come!

I nearly burned out my brakes coming down that road to the top of Ascutney Mt. I'd suggest observing from the athletic field down below the lean-tos. It's nearly as dark as Stellafane, and it's flat!

BTW, I've heard that they have refurb'ed the showers at Ascutney.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5925962 - 06/17/13 05:02 PM

After a few years deemphasizing mirror making at Stellafane, it looks like they are going to bring it back to the front burner at least reading the program as currently published on the website: Friday Program

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
      #5932322 - 06/20/13 11:57 PM

I have been there three times in the past 15 years, and each time it rained. I will not ever go again so everybody else can enjoy clear skies ;-)

John Vogt

Reged: 10/26/05

Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5938174 - 06/24/13 02:51 PM

Thanks for posting George. I see they haven't listed the Sat. afternoon talks as yet, assuming they haven't eliminated them.

John

stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: John Vogt]
      #5938265 - 06/24/13 03:54 PM

We fondly call it Stellarain at times

Norm

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #5940025 - 06/25/13 03:46 PM

Have a great time guys I've been going there off and on since 1981 I remember one Friday while driving up the road to the main gate I swear that they could have had white water canoe races in the ditches along both sides of the road. Weekend turned out great anyway. I'm going to miss them from now on though,my wife's health is such that I have to stay quite close to home. If it were not for my small observatory at home I might as well pack this hobby in.
Be Well
Grey

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5940148 - 06/25/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Norm

The one time that I camped out on the Stellafane grounds it poured. I've spent every other convention at a motel, the Hartness House, or a bed and breakfast.

Dave Mitsky

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Stellafane 2013 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5941815 - 06/26/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Norm

The one time that I camped out on the Stellafane grounds it poured. I've spent every other convention at a motel, the Hartness House, or a bed and breakfast.

Dave Mitsky

Ive been going to Stellafane since 1995, and in all but 2 of those years Ive gone on Thursday, camping at Asctney State Park (nice observing field area), or staying at Hartness House on Thursday night; (Anyone going to Stellafane needs to check out Hartness House at least once). Of course now Stellafane opens on Thursday. In all of those years Ive always seen at least *one* deep sky object sometime on those three nights! .even the year with two hurricanes in one weekend! Ive also seen 6+ inches of rain in one afternoon.

Stellafane is a telescope makers convention, not a star party. While theres plenty of observing whenever the sky clears, its not the focus of the event, like at the WSP or TSP. Stellafane is about ATMing, telescopes and optics, observing techniques, including digital imaging these days, top-level presentations on astronomy, a rather eclectic swap meet, and history, History, HISTORY of amateur astronomy. Its also located in one of the truly beautiful corners of America, the Green Mountains of Vermont, with wonderful views and mountain vistas right from the site. Just driving up the road to the place is an adventure! As a result, theres plenty to do at Stellafane even if it rains all weekend. I have packed it in due to weather at several star parties, but never at Stellafane.

Yes, the location is rugged, there can be dust, mud, bugs, car lights at night, lots of newbies and uninformed public, porta-potties, etc. However, for anyone use to back country camping and hiking, its all pretty mild, and ya only need to survive a few days! Its not USMC boot camp! Every amateur astronomer should attend Stellafane one time at least.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5955951 - 07/05/13 11:31 AM

The 2013 Program is filling out with what looks like some great talks (all levels, beginning to advanced, visual, imaging, ATM'ing): Stellafane Schedule for 2013

I hope that this rainy and hot weather clears out by then!

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: Stellafane 2013 [Re: George N]
      #5957197 - 07/06/13 08:40 AM

I guarantee the it will NOT rain as I am not going this year (Every time I go, it rains....).

Quote:

The 2013 Program is filling out with what looks like some great talks (all levels, beginning to advanced, visual, imaging, ATM'ing): Stellafane Schedule for 2013

I hope that this rainy and hot weather clears out by then!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2827

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics