Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: Zamboni]
      #5842314 - 05/05/13 07:42 PM

Quote:

I've also taken to using a blackout curtain over my head (dark on one side, white on the other) while observing. I find it a more complete solution than using a sunshield.

I've gotten to where I consider the blackout cloth an essential solar accessory. For night time it is a luxury, for day time it make all the difference in the world. Especially when sharing the view with the inexperienced, the cloth makes a huge difference.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5845030 - 05/07/13 07:37 AM

Ok, I was a bit skeptical until Saturday afternoon. I had gotten a PST & finally got the chance to use it. Completely crummy weather, wind blowing at 20-25 knots, gusting to 35. A flimsy Alt/Az camera tripod, with spaghetti legs, & no motion controls, but very light & portable since I was camping with the Boyscouts. Most of the boys came & looked a couple were awestruck. I started with a 40mm. Ok, nice but nothing to write home about, I get as good with a 8"f4 & a TO glass filter. 20mm better, I saw a few sunspots, & then, a flare on the edge at about the 5:30 position! Switch to a 9.6mm, ok I'm sold! That was too cool to be able to watch it moving. It'll have a permanent place on the HGM. To the right of the 8"R200ss & the C6R. Any reason I can't mount it on its' side, other than finding a 90* mounting bracket? The would put the EP in a more usable position.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Edited by Startraffic (05/07/13 03:11 PM)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5845975 - 05/07/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

Ok, I was a bit skeptical until Saturday afternoon. I had gotten a PST & finally got the chance to use it. Completely crummy weather, wind blowing at 20-25 knots, gusting to 35. A flimsy Alt/Az camera tripod, with spaghetti legs, & no motion controls, but very light & portable since I was camping with the Boyscouts. Most of the boys came & looked a couple were awestruck. I started with a 40mm. Ok, nice but nothing to write home about, I get as good with a 8"f4 & a TO glass filter. 20mm better, I saw a few sunspots, & then, a flare on the edge at about the 5:30 position! Switch to a 9.6mm, ok I'm sold! That was too cool to be able to watch it moving. It'll have a permanent place on the HGM. To the right of the 8"R200ss & the C6R. Any reason I can't mount it on its' side, other than finding a 90* mounting bracket? The would put the EP in a more usable position.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

The PST can be placed in almost any position that is convenient for you. Some people cobble together a circular bracket that goes on the gold tube to allow the PST to be rotated, although you kind of have to watch where this goes, as it can interfere with the PST's tuning ring. Be sure you use that ring a lot, as you will see different features and contrast on the disk as you adjust it. For eyepieces, I rarely use anything longer than 20mm focal length in my PST, and my favorite range is between 12mm and 7mm (I use a zoom eyepiece most of the time). As for "a flare on the edge", you probably saw what is known as a prominence: H-Alpha emission features projecting beyond the limb of the sun, consisting of complex clouds or streamers of magnetically-confined gas above or in the chromosphere. They generally come in two broad classes: Active (limb flares, surges, sprays, loops), and Quiescent (Quiet Region Filaments, Active Region Filaments). For more information about what is visible in H-alpha, the following article may be of some help:

Observing The Sun In H-alpha

Clear skies to you.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5846083 - 05/07/13 04:56 PM

David, thanks for the link as I am also a newbie with the PST. Really enjoying the daily views and changes going on everyday. For me, I like the 11-16mm EP range so far.

Bob

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5847797 - 05/08/13 01:43 PM

Dave,
Thanx for the link a good read & it helped a lot. Looks like it's going to take a lot more observing to get myself educated as to what I'm seeing. A whole new vocabulary to learn.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5848636 - 05/08/13 08:25 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

PST works great side mounted. I have mine permanently attached to a Vixen dovetail adaptor and mount it on an extra dovetail attached to my TMB92L rings, with the TMB capped by a white light filter to allow both modes of solar observing on the same mount, usually an AT Voyager. It's a great, stable, versatile and easy to use system:

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Coronado PST Review [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5849694 - 05/09/13 10:10 AM

Yeah, nice setup!

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: REC]
      #6362020 - 02/07/14 01:58 PM

Performing some necromancy on this thread for an update to my review: I finally obtained what I think may be the ideal eyepiece for the PST, and it's the Orion 6mm Expanse. Nice wide field, good image scale, high magnification without image breakdown, long enough eye relief to play well with my glasses and no vignetting from the small blocking filter.

Got it at my nearest scope shop yesterday for 44 bucks. Works like a champ.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6362327 - 02/07/14 04:21 PM

I salute your temerity in resurrecting a long dead thread!

It lives!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Below my clubmate, Daniel, observes through my PST DS (mounted on a Desert Sky Astro DSV-1 dual saddle alt-az mount atop an Oberwerk wooden tripod) while I take a peek through Daniel's single Etalon, bino-viewer-equipped 60mm Lunt.

Yes indeed. Solar "swingers" swapping scopes without regard to social norms. What do you expect? We're from Northern California.

On a more serious note, this shot is taken at Gallo Campground, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, in San Juan County, New Mexico. The epicenter of North American archaeo-astronomy.

Now, given that we're loosely talking "Sol", I have to share another Chaco-solar reference image. Below is Fajada Butte as seen from our group campsite in Chaco.

Atop the butte is the famous "Sun Dagger" petroglyph/lithic slab site. You can read all about how the site functioned as a visual solstice and equinox calendaring device here:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/chaco/HTML/sundagger.html

Now here's the really nifty thing about a quality digicam. When I blow up the image from my little Panasonic point-and-shoot (Lumix DMC-LX7) you can actually clearly see the slabs responsible for generating the "daggers" of light!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/jrbarnett_1964/DaggerSite_zps14cb83a6....

View it at full size; the red arrow points to the slabs.

Well Sun of a gun!

- Jim

Zamboni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/03/05

Loc: Colorado Springs
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6362487 - 02/07/14 05:32 PM

Very cool! Chaco canyon is the only major Anasazi site I have yet to visit. Definitely a bucket list item.

One of the members of my club is an archaeo-astronomy expert and gives a handful of presentations every year on various topics. He recently covered Chaco and it made me want to visit even more.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6362759 - 02/07/14 07:32 PM

Tristan, you'd love it. It has the highest concentration (sites per area) of major Ancestral Puebloan ruins in the country. The largest by masonry mass, Pueblo Bonito, certainly reached 4 stories and maybe 5 at its peak. The best thing about Chaco though are the bad roads into the park. It keeps visitorship down, so anyone making the effort to go really wanted to be there. It's a great "filter".

By all means, do it! When you get ready to go, ping me and I'll send you the club's trip planning novel...er...handout.

Take the PST, of course, and something for night. We had two bino-scope Dobs this trip; a 16" duo and an 8" duo. Really incredible. I ended up observing with a 111mm refractor because I forgot the power cable for my mount for the C9.25. But I spent as much time using other people's scopes as my own anyway.

Regards,

Jim

Americal
sage

Reged: 09/14/07

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Coronado PST Review new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6363989 - 02/08/14 12:43 PM

Off topic but... "The best thing about Chaco though are the bad roads into the park". This is close to the understated quote of the year. Two of the four vehicles going in on the south access blew tires. Watch out for the cattle guard grates, the ruts are worse than they look. That being said, Jim is right, it is an overwhelming archeological location.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4590

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics