Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
LadyOrion

Reged: 05/07/13

Need help with mounts ~ confused ~ new
      #5848375 - 05/08/13 06:10 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

I have recently bought the Orion Starblast 6 and I LOVE it all except the dob mount..it makes it very heavy for me to carry around and I live in a big city with a lot of light pollution so I need something portable to just grab and drive to the mountains for star gazing. I spoke to 5 people at Orion and other companies but I want to get an input from everyone else. This is my first telescope and I am so excited
So I was told the best portable mount for my starblast 6 would be Astroview Pro OR Versago II - Versago being a bit lighter and cheaper than astroview. SO I was wondering, are there any other mounts in the world except those two that I can use with my scope??????? Or these two are my ONLY options please help, every input is highly appreciated

Edited by LadyOrion (05/08/13 07:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Need help with mounts ~ confused ~ new [Re: LadyOrion]
      #5848572 - 05/08/13 07:48 PM

I think most mounts you buy are going to actually be bigger and heavier, especially the astroview pro, but the advantage will be having a mount that can set on the ground so you can use the scope while seated or standing.

Do you have a vixen style dovetail on that OTA? If not, can you mount one to the rings that came with it? That is the first thing you need to be able to put the scope on another mount. After that you have several choices for portable mounts.

Here are a couple of more for your list:
Celestron Omni CG-4
Vixen Porta II

You might also consider something from iOptron.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5849118 - 05/09/13 12:03 AM

Technically, your mount is not a Dobsonian, but simply an alt/az mount.

I agree with Lane that most mounts capable of holding the 6" f/5 Newtonian (like yours) are going to be at least the same weight as the Starblast 6 mount. But you can probably find something that is more compact and that will sit up higher so you can use a chair with the scope. But if you think about it, you would then have a tripod, a mount, possible counterweights, a chair, and the scope itself to deal with.

There are a number of mounts out there that would work for you, some being more expensive than others. Do you have a budget in mind?

Patrick

LadyOrion

Reged: 05/07/13

Re: Need help with mounts ~ confused ~ new [Re: Patrick]
      #5849705 - 05/09/13 10:23 AM

I don't mind the mount being same weight as my current tabletop mount. At least I can carry them separately otherwise with my current one I NEED to carry a chair around too to put the scope on it and then overall the current tabletop mount it came with itself is of a weird shape + heavy and I can't detach the scope itself Everytime from it, it's a hassle

Patrick
Postmaster

#5850072 - 05/09/13 01:48 PM

Quote:

I don't mind the mount being same weight as my current tabletop mount. At least I can carry them separately otherwise with my current one I NEED to carry a chair around too to put the scope on it and then overall the current tabletop mount it came with itself is of a weird shape + heavy and I can't detach the scope itself Everytime from it, it's a hassle.

Okay, now I understand where you're coming from and I agree that it's a hassle. I have a 4.5" Starblast which has the same issue. First thing...if you've had the scope less than 30 days and can return it, that's what I would do. If you can return it you can then replace it with a more appropriate scope for your needs. You may end up spending a little more money but you'll have something that suits you better. We can talk more about which telescope and mount if you can go that route.

If you can't return it, then you will want to get a pair of Orion 6" Tube Rings and a Orion 13" Dovetail Plate. These two components will allow you to attach the 6" Newtonian to a variety of mounts, either alt/az or GEM mounts.

Which mount to get depends a great deal on your budget. So, what is your budget?

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

#5850584 - 05/09/13 06:13 PM

Quote:

I can't detach the scope itself

I just noticed you already have tube rings on the 6" StarBlast, so forget what I said about buying them.

What kind of dovetail does the 6" StarBlast have? Anyone know? You still might need a dovetail plate, maybe the 8", not the 13".

You should be able to remove the 2 bolts on the tube rings and take the scope out of the rings. On a GEM mount you'll need to loosen those tube rings to rotate the tube in the rings to position the eyepiece.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick (05/09/13 06:17 PM)

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Need help with mounts ~ confused ~ [Re: Patrick]
      #5850600 - 05/09/13 06:21 PM

Another thing you can possible do is mount the whole assembly onto a surveyors tripod using a 3.8" bolt. You might have to do a little do-it-yourself work, but it shouldn't be too hard. That's one thing I did on my 4.5" StarBlast.

Patrick

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 517

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics