Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
UND_astrophysics
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount?
      #5852083 - 05/10/13 01:57 PM

Has anyone tried a Skywatcher Eq-2-3 dual motor drive on a Tasco Vixen Polaris mount? I was looking over the PDF manual, and everything appears to be exactly the same as far as the mount configuration and hardware. I was just curious, because the appearance of the mount in the manual looks looks like it is a dead ringer, even the counterweight shaft assembly and polar scope area appears to be exactly the same.
http://www.skywatcher.com/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/EQ3-2Dual.pdf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Carruthers
Skiprat

Reged: 02/02/07

Loc: Kent, UK
Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #5856840 - 05/13/13 04:17 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

I fitted a Synscan eq3/5 unit to my SP, simple bolt on job. I believe the Polaris has a different motor bracket?

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: John Carruthers]
      #5857798 - 05/13/13 03:42 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

Would your mount look similar to this?

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5860263 - 05/14/13 03:52 PM

Think you mean EQ-3/2. It probably can be done. The RA looks pretty much the same and I think they both have 144 teeth on the worm wheel. The Dec will take some fooling with. Folks usually fit a drive directly to the worm with a coupler and hang it out in front of the Dec housing. There's not much room for a drive next to the saddle.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: Geo.]
      #5860521 - 05/14/13 05:26 PM

Thanks Geo, that sounds promising. It looks like the main gear attaches to the Dec shaft in place of the motion control cable, and then the motor bolts to the side under the OTA clamp according to the Skywatcher PDF. it sounds like it just might work. I think I will buy one and see what happens.

John Carruthers
Skiprat

Reged: 02/02/07

Loc: Kent, UK
      #5861459 - 05/15/13 03:52 AM

you may need to make up brackets for the motors. The kit comes with the necessary gears. If you stick the motors out to the side you may need to drive the other end of the worm to match the sense of the motor.
They are really made for the eq5/3 (sp etc)but could be adapted to any 144 tooth wormwheel. They fit directly onto the SP brackets with the bolts provided, the Polaris - not quite as easy.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: John Carruthers]
      #5861803 - 05/15/13 10:16 AM

If I understand what you are saying, The other side of the worm gear may need to be the drive side to get the right direction. Actually the mount has the shafts on both sides of both the Dec and RA, basically allowing be to fit the slow motion cables to either side, front or back depending on telescope OTA configuration.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5862085 - 05/15/13 12:46 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

I mounted a Celestron Logic drive to my Polaris mount. The shaft on the drive side of the mount was too long to properly attach the motor to, so I placed it on the other side of the mount. To do this, I drilled and tapped a thread for the motor attachment. I simply bolted the motor to the mount and switched the drive unit to "South" so that the gears would turn the right direction. This drive has a speed adjustment, which is very useful as it tends to slow down as the 9v battery drains.

Edited by SteveG (05/15/13 12:49 PM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: SteveG]
      #5862091 - 05/15/13 12:47 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Here's the mounting bolt:

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Skywatcher drive to Tasco/Vixen Polaris mount? new [Re: SteveG]
      #5862177 - 05/15/13 01:12 PM

Great images, Both of my drive shafts on Either side are exactly the same, I used the existing mounting screw on the opposite side of the mount, and I just set the motor to Southern Hemisphere, and it runs in the opposite direction to work being mounted on the opposite side. My problem is with these digital drive motors, it is very difficult to get it set to the right speed for AP and get good long exposures,The little tiny adjustment knob is just not good enough I use an illuminated reticle, and a barlow, and still cannot get the speed perfect to sidereal motion on a star. That is why I am considering getting one of the skywatcher drives, to see if I have better results.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 562

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics