Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/05

Loc: Western PA, USA
Re: Astro-Tech 10" RC & SBIG 8300 new [Re: Jared]
      #5858265 - 05/13/13 06:28 PM

Thanks Jared. I figured I'd probably have to go to an OAG. The 8" f/4 guides great with a guidescope but it's only 800 mm.

-Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Roy Salisbury
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Astro-Tech 10" RC & SBIG 8300 new [Re: Bill W.]
      #5873701 - 05/20/13 12:58 PM

I just got my AT10RCF a few weeks ago and this last weekend was my "first light" with the scope. Initially the collimation was pretty far off (relatively speaking) and I got a Hotech SCA laster colimator that other said would work... but that failed. So I did it the old fashion way of defocusing the star and doing it visually. While not really spot on, it was better then what got shipped. Initial images were ok, but I know it needs a lot more work.

I'm not using an SBIG model 8300 on this scope, but rather the QHY9m (but its still an 8300 based camera). I may switch my STT-8300 over to it and off the AT106.

I'm hoping not to have to use an OAG because I have never really had good luck with them. Instead I am going to use my AT106 (704mm FL) as the guide scope. Its a good solid mount on a Paramount MX, and the only thing I will need to watch for (hopefully) is sag in the image train between the two scopes.

Anyway, just thought I would put in my $0.02 on this scope and camera option. I think I will really like it once I get it setup properly.

Roy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1084

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics