Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5167628 - 04/11/12 09:54 PM

Ahhh, the best of both worlds refractor and reflector, that's good. I haven't looked at Sky Tools in a while. Is the object info decent in your opinion? It appears to have nice graphics on the site. You don't find the computer in the field inconvenient? You need a good red screen and battery power I'd imagine yes? Although a Kindle would be limited to books, it certainly lasts a long time battery wise but I'm not sure how a Kindle handles cold weather.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5167684 - 04/11/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

Ahhh, the best of both worlds refractor and reflector, that's good. I haven't looked at Sky Tools in a while. Is the object info decent in your opinion? It appears to have nice graphics on the site. You don't find the computer in the field inconvenient? You need a good red screen and battery power I'd imagine yes? Although a Kindle would be limited to books, it certainly lasts a long time battery wise but I'm not sure how a Kindle handles cold weather.

I think that the object info in Skytools is great in my opinion, but you can always supplement it with any extra sources you might like. I do like the graphics in Skytools, but its real advantage is planning and charting. Both of those features can be easily customized by the user. For me, using the laptop in the field is very convenient. all I have to do is open it up and turn it on. My laptop battery is rated for over 7 hours, and I find that employing battery saving features has gotten me through all night observing sessions easily. I keep a sheet of red plexiglas and a fold up shield in my laptop bag. I haven't had a chance to play with a Kindle, so I don't really know anything about them, but I can see where it could be a useful astronomy tool. I'm rarely out for long when the weather is cold because I'm usually ready to call it quits before my gear does.

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5851281 - 05/10/13 02:22 AM

Bump...

It appears that all 3 volumes are now available on Amazon as Kindle Edition ebooks.

Volume 1 - $19.31
Volume 2 - $14.51
Volume 3 - $16.49

Greg

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5851345 - 05/10/13 04:28 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the heads up! I never thought I'd see the day it'll make it to the 'official' kindle edition. Kinda regret selling my kindle DX ... Yeah, it works on tablets, but it's quite different.

burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: core]
      #5851496 - 05/10/13 08:02 AM

Wow, thanks for the alert.
I used Amazon's "Look Inside!" function to check out the digital versions. My initial impressions are that the scanned photographs are a bit "contrasty" (to make the sky black?), and that they have squashed them in the vertical dimension to make them fit on the page better. Hold a page from one of the books up to the screen to see what I mean. Perhaps this due to the fact that I am looking at it on a PC, not on a Kindle.
These are a combination of simple scans and digital text.
The original page numbers are missing, as well as most of the boxes that surround photograph annotations. The "LIST OF DOUBLE AND MULTIPLE STARS" that appears at the beginning of each constellation is scanned like a photograph. This retains the hand-drawn Greek letters. Sometimes the vertical column separation lines are not actually vertical, but they made the lines of text line up horizontally. I have also noticed that the Greek words and letters that appear in the middle of the digitized text look like scanned bits of the original books, and might not be searchable.
In the books, you will find photographs and charts dab smack in the middle of a run of text. The digitized version seems to finish the text, then insert the photograph or chart at the end of the text. This might make the page number location of a chart or photograph differ from the original books. Again, I do not have a Kindle to verify this. The advantage is that most the text should be searchable.
All in all, I like what I see on Amazon's site, and I bet they will sell a ton of these (How much do bytes weigh?)
I love the PDF versions that I created, but I would probably purchase these Kindle versions if they could be converted to PDFs.
Two thumbs up!

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: burb scope]
      #5851880 - 05/10/13 11:56 AM

It is really good that the table of contents has links for every constellation, so at least you can jump to any constellation you want quickly.

I wish B&N had the digital edition - I am a confirmed Nook only user (partly due to my philosophical difference with Amazaon's "crush the competition to create a monopoly" digital publishing practices).

Please - anyone using Nook should go to the B&N web site and click on the "Want to read this on your NOOK? Request as NOOK Book from the publisher" link. Unfortunately, B&N only lists Volume 1 & 3 in paperback, so there is no link to request a Nook version for Volume 2.

Oh well - even though I don't like buying digital books from Amazon, I may have to purchase from them anyway, because I don't know how long I can wait for a digital edition of these books from B&N when I know I they are already available. My 30 year old paperback editions are falling apart, and my wife is allergic to paper mites in old books, so I currently have all of my old books in boxes in the garage.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5852280 - 05/10/13 04:25 PM

Quote:

Bump...

It appears that all 3 volumes are now available on Amazon as Kindle Edition ebooks.

Volume 1 - $19.31
Volume 2 - $14.51
Volume 3 - $16.49

Greg

Awesome news! Here are links:

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Steph]
      #5852784 - 05/10/13 09:37 PM

Hmm. I saw a full set today, hardcopy, and in great condition, for $30.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5852882 - 05/10/13 10:24 PM

Certainly the cost isn't any great shakes, but sometimes it's nice to have things with you in an easier-to-carry-anywhere format.

Rich (RLTYS)
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Steph]
      #5853316 - 05/11/13 07:06 AM

I already have two copies of the original books and admit I rarely use them. Maybe the Kindle version will be a future purchase.

Rich (RLTYS)

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5853347 - 05/11/13 08:05 AM

I like to shop at Half Price Books and there are four or five in town. They almost always have good condition volume 1 through volume 3 when I shop. You might check HPB's out if you have them locally...

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5855236 - 05/12/13 11:16 AM

Very glad to see that BCH is now in digital format! I'll look into getting hold of a copy; thanks, OP!

On a side note, I noticed a scathing review of the Handbooks among those on Amazon; one of the comments regarding this particular negative review asked the reviewer to refrain from using Burnham's to "kindle the fires of your limited sterile depauperate mental hibachi." I damn near fell on the floor laughing... one rarely sees such form exhibited This was also the first time in recent memory that I've had recourse to a dictionary ("depauperate" is now my Word of the Week).

Fred

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5857125 - 05/13/13 10:07 AM

Quote:

Hit the eBay and you can get a set in very good condition for about half that usually. I did. I like the idea of a Kindle edition, but the price is just too much. And it's very oddly priced in typical Amazon fashion. $19.95 and I might consider getting it and a Kindle to play it on.

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: rmollise]
      #5858138 - 05/13/13 05:54 PM

^^ +1. That's how I got my 3 volume set for under $17.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: BoriSpider]
      #5858571 - 05/13/13 09:09 PM

Yeah, I saw the set at a used book store (always more expensive). But, there's no shortage of them out there. I like a copy that doesn't disappear when the battery dies.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: rmollise]
      #5858717 - 05/13/13 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hit the eBay and you can get a set in very good condition for about half that usually.

+ about $4./ each for shipping = almost $30.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5859375 - 05/14/13 08:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hit the eBay and you can get a set in very good condition for about half that usually.

+ about $4./ each for shipping = almost $30.

Sorry about that... my set _shipped_ was 15.00.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5859691 - 05/14/13 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I saw the set at a used book store (always more expensive). But, there's no shortage of them out there. I like a copy that doesn't disappear when the battery dies.

I also just like to have the actual books to thumb thru & enjoy. That's why I enjoy my astro library so much.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5859778 - 05/14/13 12:23 PM

Coolness, I'll have to look into the Kindle editions. I like my Kindle, but it is hard to flip through. I have two hardback sets and one paperback set. I like to have one set to mark up and the other to keep cleen. I like my Kindle for taking books with me on trips. I also use the text to speech function to listen to a book while mowing the grass.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: jgraham]
      #5860097 - 05/14/13 02:39 PM

Absolutely, John, there's no reason a person only has to have ONE version of the books!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20957

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics