Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Kevin Brose

Reged: 07/03/07

Loc: Colorado
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: turk123]
      #5848868 - 05/08/13 10:06 PM

Yes indeed, I had to add a primary and secondary baffle. As you are doing now I completely disassembled the telescope so I had to start from scratch when it came to the optics.

My Cave D-K was built in 1978 and appeared to have actual Cave optics as the typical Cave info (SN, focal length) was inscribed on the primary. Unfortunately the critical information - back focus and separation distance - was not included. I then had to reverse engineer the system, but that topic is so complicated it would take up too much space on the forum. Suffice it to say that without knowing the back focus and separation distance you have some work to do. At least you have some measurements to start with. PM me and I can provide more detailed info about setting up the optics.

As for the views, the optics were terrible. When I received the telescope the image quality at the focal plane was no better than 1/2 wave at best. The primary was severely over corrected and the secondary was anything but a sphere. I had to have the entire system re-figured. I hope your optics are better!

Once the system was properly configured the views were very good. If your optics are OK then you have something to look forward to, but it may take some effort to get there.

- Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
altair1956

Reged: 07/05/09

Loc: Light polluted central Mass
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Kevin Brose]
      #5848886 - 05/08/13 10:18 PM

I had one of these in the early 1980's and had to sell it. Divorce, life issues, that sort of thing. Had one of my best views of Jupiter thru it. I am really glad to have found this thread, it brings back good memories and I am enjoying your great efforts at bringing this back to life. Thanks and I'll be watching to see how things go

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: altair1956]
      #5851038 - 05/09/13 10:15 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I started looking at the finder and Capt. Nemo focuser. How does the focuser break down? It is really sticky from the grease turning to varnish and I would like to get it apart further. I just don't know where it breaks apart? It seems to me the center tube or assemble might be threaded and come apart. I can't get it to budge.

The tube has too many scratches to be just cleaned and wet sanded. I will strip it and do a new paint job on it. The eyepiece marked .33 (I think it is what came with the caves) has a chip on the inner glass. : ( It can be replaced.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5851072 - 05/09/13 10:32 PM

Just after I posted this I went back and it practically fell apart. It unscrews in a different place than I was looking. Inside is a locking ring that holds the rest of it together. I'm a bit tired and will post pictures of all the components and their order, tomorrow. Man is this thing sticky!

It also has the Don Trombino "P-touch" label on it. One of two labels on the scope and mount. I think I will carefully remove it and either make a replica of it and re-attach, or see what condition it is in and decide if it can go back on.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #5851089 - 05/09/13 10:44 PM

Wow Tom, I can't believe how much you've accomplished is such a short time. Seems like you just got it home and you are well on your way to having it all restored. I'm impressed.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: terraclarke]
      #5851117 - 05/09/13 11:05 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

Wow Tom, I can't believe how much you've accomplished is such a short time. Seems like you just got it home and you are well on your way to having it all restored. I'm impressed.

Hi Terra

The OTA is just about done. The finder is going to need a lot of paint work and I may hold off on it until the weather stabilizes here and I can paint outside. I have so many optics in the basement that I hate to paint down there anymore.

The mount is the next step. I am sure I will need some help from you guys on this. I need a wiring diagram that includes the paddle or box. The dec wire is broke and does not seem to match the color coded wire. The DEC motor is barely hanging on and I am hoping there is no damage. It looks like it got hit in a move. Time will tell.

I have not taken the motor box apart either. I am shooting a wedding for a friend on Saturday but Sunday will find me back at the workbench.

This seems all out of order. I spent 4 months waiting to get the 10" cave from New York, only to switch gears and start working on the Cass. The 10" super deluxe will be next on the schedule and to make matters worse, I just bought an 8" cave lightweight out of Florida"

I gotta stop . . . and I gotta start counting like you!

Edited by turk123 (05/09/13 11:05 PM)

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5851147 - 05/09/13 11:28 PM

Wow, that is another beauty! What a gorgeous classic Newt to go with your Cass. You have an amazing collection Tom.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5851182 - 05/10/13 12:06 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is another beauty! What a gorgeous classic Newt to go with your Cass. You have an amazing collection Tom.

I guess all this has came out of the love of doing the cave-astrola website. These are special scopes to me.
My last purchase is actually not the 8" cave in Florida, but a very special cave, well, in miniature! I have had a wonderful correspondence with Barry Crist. He is now living in Arizona and is retired from the miniature telescope business. For those of you who don't know, Barry has done many miniatures of some very famous scopes. One of his last was the telescopes at mount Wilson. They are a work of art. Do a google search on Barry crist miniatures to see the many works of art he has done.

After corresponding for a few weeks, I contracted Barry to do a very special Cave miniature. It is a model of Jon Miles 10" f/6 super chrome deluxe. Barry has agreed to photograph the entire process ( he has even recruited his wife as camera person) and we will write up a story for the cave-astrola.com website. I will have more information on availability of a few of the models if you are interested. I will not be making anything on them, but doing this only to support Barry and a new roll-off observatory he is building. There may be two available. Possibly several more if I can talk Barry into coming out of retirement. These will be his best models to date. I don't want ths to be a advertisement. It is not. It is just a way to payback a guy who deserves a little piece of history in the classic telescope tradition.

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5851190 - 05/10/13 12:14 AM

The last Barry Crist model of a 10" Cave on eBay a while ago went for quite of few bucks. I sure would be glad if he started up again - his work is awesome and I would love to have one of his works.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: Datapanic]
      #5852841 - 05/10/13 10:09 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Taking the focuser apart was a challenge not knowing how it came apart. Once I realized I was trying to unscrew the wrong area, it came apart. Here are the components. The black will have to be repainted as there are chips in the paint missing.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

#5852843 - 05/10/13 10:11 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

The focuser has the first of two name tags from the original owner Don Trombino. I will remove the name tag and maybe add it back after painting, or a replica if the tag is fragile.

starman876
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: VA
      #5852873 - 05/10/13 10:21 PM

heat the tag with a hair dryer to soften the glue. I bet the tag will come right off

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: starman876]
      #5852896 - 05/10/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

heat the tag with a hair dryer to soften the glue. I bet the tag will come right off

That worked perfectly. The tag is too brittle to put back on. I will replace it with a replica and keep the original.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5853042 - 05/10/13 11:51 PM

Great thread and one neat telescope!

Thanks for the time and effort to present it here for all of us to enjoy.

Jim

Chassetter
sage

Reged: 07/08/09

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: herrointment]
      #5853343 - 05/11/13 08:01 AM

The tag should be your name. You've earned it with such an amazing restoration job!

terraclarke
Post Laureate

#5854001 - 05/11/13 03:18 PM

Quote:

The focuser has the first of two name tags from the original owner Don Trombino. I will remove the name tag and maybe add it back after painting, or a replica if the tag is fragile.

Very interesting. Don Trombino was a well known Florida amateur who operated a solar observatory around Daytona I believe. He died in 1998 at the age of 58. There are several pictures of his stuff in the Solar Astronomy Handbook (Willmann-Bell pub.).

mustgobigger
Postmaster

Reged: 06/12/07

Loc: Michigan
      #5854045 - 05/11/13 03:51 PM

Looking good....what's dia. And
Fl of finder.

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: mustgobigger]
      #5855090 - 05/12/13 09:34 AM

Quote:

Looking good....what's dia. And
Fl of finder.

76.2 mm and F=910mm

DAVIDG
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Hockessin, De
      #5855302 - 05/12/13 11:41 AM

With 40mm eyepiece you would be at 22x, in the 76mm scope. Even that might be a bit much for a finder but it is great guide scope for imaging. Did you get the original Cave 7x50mm finder with the scope ? The one at the local high school has two of them on both the sides of the scope since in certain positions of the mount, if there was just one it would be in a difficult position to use.

- Dave

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Re: Elli Buk Cave 10" Cassegrain [Re: DAVIDG]
      #5855447 - 05/12/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

With 40mm eyepiece you would be at 22x, in the 76mm scope. Even that might be a bit much for a finder but it is great guide scope for imaging. Did you get the original Cave 7x50mm finder with the scope ? The one at the local high school has two of them on both the sides of the scope since in certain positions of the mount, if there was just one it would be in a difficult position to use.

- Dave

It did not have the smaller finder and rings. There are holes in the tube where one was mounted though. Someone here very nicely sent me a set of finder rings and my 10" cave newt has a 7 x 50 finder I can borrow for use and pictures. If anyone has a cave 7 x 50 please PM me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17115

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics