Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: melinda fry]
      #5849740 - 05/09/13 10:42 AM

Melinda,
All I use are Ethos in my FS128 (note I have more eyepieces that I occasionally pull out for comparisons but the Ethos always win), and Panoptic's in my bino-viewer. The best view of the moon I ever had was with the FS128 and a 4.7mm Ethos/AP Maxbright diagonal, (far better than any view I ever had with my AP 130GT).
I would suggest you try a 13mm Ethos and see how you like them. Eyepieces are very subjective and I don't want to put down any other eyepiece brands or types, just saying that for me and my collection of Tak refractors, the Ethos have proven best for me.
Rex

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: tomcody]
      #5851845 - 05/10/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

Melinda,
The best view of the moon I ever had was with the FS128 and a 4.7mm Ethos/AP Maxbright diagonal, (far better than any view I ever had with my AP 130GT).

Rex

Wow, very interesting. Why did you think the FS 128 gave a better view than the AP 130 GT?

best,

JimP

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: JimP]
      #5851863 - 05/10/13 11:47 AM

Uh Oh.... Hope not yet another thread....

I've been very happy with a wide assortment of eyepieces, the Pentax XW's are a great ep for me, but then I like the eye relief and FOV, it's all very personal i think when it comes to which ep someone might like better than another. I have been pleased with the value of the Meade SWA's that were on sale a few years ago.

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5852133 - 05/10/13 02:27 PM

Jim,
The contrast and shading of the moon's features just look so real through the FS128 that it seems I am looking out a window from above it. With the AP130 ( and my TSA102) it seems like there is more glass in the way, I know that this is not a good discription but that's how I see it. The florite Taks are just more satisifying.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (05/10/13 02:28 PM)

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: tomcody]
      #5852171 - 05/10/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

Jim,
The contrast and shading of the moon's features just look so real through the FS128 that it seems I am looking out a window from above it. With the AP130 ( and my TSA102) it seems like there is more glass in the way, I know that this is not a good discription but that's how I see it. The florite Taks are just more satisifying.
Rex

Rex,

Exactly my experience.

Jupiter in my 2005 FS102 NSV shows more low contrast equatorial detail than my 1997 EDFS 130 f/6. Both have similar perfect startests. There is more to a fantastic visual planetary image than color correction alone. 3 elements tend to do different things to the final image than 2.

YMMV of course. But both scopes were paid with my own hard earned cash. The images in the A-P never quite had that punch. I also tested an A-P 140 with the same result. Even though it had a superb starkest and ditto color correction.
In the end, I let my A-P go with no regrets.

I consider a superb sample of either the FC or FS series as the most satisfying refractor for my eyes in the 4-5" range. Glad to find some others have the same experience at the eyepiece. Although I know there are others that prefer a triplet and I fully respect that. And as always, sample-sample and batch-batch variation can pull their own tricks.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5852175 - 05/10/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Melinda,
The best view of the moon I ever had was with the FS128 and a 4.7mm Ethos/AP Maxbright diagonal, (far better than any view I ever had with my AP 130GT).

Rex

Wow, very interesting. Why did you think the FS 128 gave a better view than the AP 130 GT?

best,

JimP

Not Rex here, but my $0.02 as a visual observer. I owned an FS128 and an AP 130 EDF at the same time. The FS128 is a superb scope, but if you know where to look for it there is some false color. None in the AP 130. The FS also has a "warm" tone to the view, a result of the blue being thrown out of focus. The AP lacks the warm tone.

The color issues with the FS128 are very minor. One's visual system adjusts to the warm tone in a few seconds and it no longer is noticeable unless you go back and forth between it and a scope that has better color correction like the AP 130. The warm tone is about the same as that seen with a Radian (coffee, anyone? ). While I no longer have the FS and can't directly compare it with the 130 GT, I have both the EDF that I did use for comparison and the GT, and extensive comparisons between the EDF and the GT over a year's time show no visible difference in color correction.

melinda fry

Reged: 04/28/10

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: Paul G]
      #5852627 - 05/10/13 07:45 PM

I'm looking at poping into the shop to look at the scope this weekend got the cash ready. The shop owner called me and almost talked me into buying the toa on Friday. But it's 3 week wait , then 5 days delivery from the shop to me.

houser23
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

Loc: Rocklin, CA
      #5852671 - 05/10/13 08:09 PM

Quote:

I'm looking at poping into the shop to look at the scope this weekend got the cash ready. The shop owner called me and almost talked me into buying the toa on Friday. But it's 3 week wait , then 5 days delivery from the shop to me.

Get the FS 128 before someone else does, you won't regret it.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: houser23]
      #5852726 - 05/10/13 08:58 PM

Get the FS-128 unless you can mount the weight of the TOA-130 safely.
If mobile observation is your goal I would recommend staying away from the 130 due to the weight.

best regards
Chris

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: chboss]
      #5852785 - 05/10/13 09:38 PM

Quote:

Get the FS-128 unless you can mount the weight of the TOA-130 safely.
If mobile observation is your goal I would recommend staying away from the 130 due to the weight.

best regards
Chris

I wouldn't consider 10.5 Kg "heavy" but I am also a musician and regularly move instruments around that weigh in excess of 30 Kg. For me, 10.5 Kg is a rather light piece of equipment. I am hoping for the AU$/Yen exchange rate to improve, then I will get my TOA 130.

melinda fry

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: timps]
      #5852808 - 05/10/13 09:51 PM

Yeh fingers crossed I'll get to see the scope later today. I like the toa
But weight if the scope being nose heavy is on my mind.
Could you tell the length of the FS ota as I may get a mount pillar from my local Astro shop today incase I need one.

Thanks

timps
sage

#5852831 - 05/10/13 10:05 PM

I think the length is just under 1.2m and it is about 3 Kg lighter than the TOA 130. For me, I am not worried about the TOA being nose heavy, it is just a matter of taking that into consideration when you are mounting it.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: TAK FS 128 [Re: timps]
      #5853063 - 05/11/13 12:08 AM

I think of my 128 as a lightweight scope, esp for it's size and 'Tak build'. The TOA (I've owned both not at same time) it's a bit more substancial and worth considering lifteing and mounting at an angle above maybe 46" just for safe measure. I thought it balanced well with the callar weight Tak makes attached near the focuser end. The TOA a shorter heavier scope than the FS.

I agree with what has been said about the optical differences, with heavy emphasis on differences being small and most noticable only at higher mags, and the difference in color tone. Looking at Alberio (speaking of blue) with the two scopes I'll take the FS any day, in fact it's colored doubles that really made the difference for me along with my seeing here rarely able to exploit high mags and small exit pupil...

But I encourage you not to pass on the 128. You'll get to spend time with a fantastic doublet that any triplet should be compared against. No amount of specs and second hand info can make up for that personal experience you can gain. No question in my mind you would enjoy the scope, and beyond all the postings, specs, and paper whipping - it is about the view and personal enjoyment. Having first hand experience if you can, is the best teacher.

As for the pillar, IMO it's part about your height sitting in a chair with the scope at 45/50*, and the the mount you will be using and if you decide to also have a levelling plate assy on the pillar (we imagers sometimes use them) and the pillar may or may not have one. Just remember the mount will raise the height and that in general not a bad thing.

Mike Clemens
Frozen to Eyepiece

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5853141 - 05/11/13 01:09 AM

Tak FS was my first apochromat... first target was the Moon on a crisp clear evening... can still remember that first view here 13 yrs later.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #5860268 - 05/14/13 03:55 PM

Just checking in...

which side did the coin land? Seems like both sides win!

melinda fry

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5865039 - 05/16/13 04:26 PM

Hi mike

I missed out on that FS 128, But I did find a 2nd FS 128 unmarked and the lens was the same unmarked. I'm picking that up this weekend. Will try post some pictures Sunday.

timps
sage

#5865310 - 05/16/13 05:41 PM

Congrats! How exciting!!

Adam S
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/05

Loc: Gunnison, Colorado
      #5866002 - 05/16/13 10:22 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Great scopes for sure. My first view with an apo was the Moon with my FS 128 in 1999. Amazing contrast and ease of use converted me away from mirrors forever. Took several great medium format shots using a Pentax 6x7 with mine, great optics make for quality enlargement.

Edited by Adam S (05/16/13 11:11 PM)

Adam S
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/05

Loc: Gunnison, Colorado
Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: Adam S]
      #5866008 - 05/16/13 10:25 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

One of these days I'll figure out how to post multiple photos on a single post. You'll be thrilled with an FS 128!

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: TAK FS 128 new [Re: Adam S]
      #5866359 - 05/17/13 02:12 AM

Nice scope and nice prints.

Upload your pics to photobucket and the enter the links in the text of your post.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2930

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics