Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
iam1ru12
sage

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Re: Unihedron SQM vs. Dark Sky Pro iPhone app new [Re: Nop]
      #5863818 - 05/16/13 06:57 AM

Norbert/H.A.,
Keep up the good work. I have the Pro version and looking forward to updates as they come available.

At $130 plus (in the US) for the SQM-L, that's more than I'm willing to pay to measure light-pollution. However your Pro version at $3.99 is an phenomenal option! Thanks for coming out with this app.

BTW, a fellow club member shared news of your app with the club a few weeks ago. Several of us have purchased the app and we've had some great conversations and comparisons.

Thanks!
-Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Unihedron SQM vs. Dark Sky Pro iPhone app new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5866805 - 05/17/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

Consider that the SQM costs $120 and the app costs $5, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. However, it would be extremely helpful to know its limitations.

It would seem that for light polluted skies it works quite well. If the skies are quite dark, I would think that would be where the problem lies.

Jon

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Unihedron SQM vs. Dark Sky Pro iPhone app new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5866829 - 05/17/13 10:41 AM

Depends what you are using the data for. I'm doing a long term survey of the LP profile of my city along a 15 mile section from city center to countryside - its been going 5 years now. Hence I need good calibrated values to make year on year comparisons meaningful.

If you are just interested in estimating how long to expose your camera for DSO imaging etc then a roughly OK value is all that you need. I have created a table of MPSAS values vs camera exposure time vs ISO for my imaging setup

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2061

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics